Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Driving 468x60

Fear of sharing dishes?!?! Does anyone else have this!?? HELP

I have this weird phobia of sharing dishes with other people. It sounds like it's not a big deal but it's getting really bad, and it's awkward to tell people. I have to go around my house trying to find plastic forks and paper plates all the time because I just can't use any dishes other people use. It's so bad I can't usually eat over friend's houses or have sleepovers cause I feel like they would be offended.

HELP I can't be the only one!

Have the same question but as a parent of teenager with the same issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Qnicorn View Post
    I have this weird phobia of sharing dishes with other people. It sounds like it's not a big deal but it's getting really bad, and it's awkward to tell people. I have to go around my house trying to find plastic forks and paper plates all the time because I just can't use any dishes other people use. It's so bad I can't usually eat over friend's houses or have sleepovers cause I feel like they would be offended.

HELP I can't be the only one!
    You are not the only one. My son is the same and has been for quite a few years but with a difference - is OK with plates but not bowls and definitely not glasses, cups or cutlery. It is restrictive on his life too. Sometimes he comes home from a day out absolutely dehydrated because he has not been able to drink - refusing drinks from other people's glasses. In our house he has his own mugs and will not use one if someone else has used it inadvertently.

I want to help him overcome this. Have you heard of any therapy? Is there a name for this?