Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Driving 468x60

Thread: Losing myself.

Losing myself.

I made a thread a few months ago about my constant dizziness due to severe anxiety. I recently found an article on psychogenic dizziness. Look it up if you are interested. I have been doing so well with handling my agoraphobia the passed year, but now I feel like I am sinking again. A couple of years ago I went where I barely left my house. I have started getting out more, but now it feels like I am going back to my old self. I have suffered with anxiety for 15 years so I am well aquainted with panic attacks. I have also read every symptom that you can have with anxiety. I still need reassurance.. The passed few days I have been extremely dizzy. I get the out of body feeling which I am familar with, but it is still scary. At some points in feels like my head weighs a ton, and I get these little "twitches." Earlier I felt okay, and then all of a sudden I wasvery panicked and I felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin. I also get the disoriented feeling where it feels like I can't come up with the right words or get my thoughts together. I am not on any medication for anxiety and I have not been for 8 years. I just keep hearing people tell me I am fine and I am just panicking, but no one can relate. With the holidays coming up and having to go to family's houses and stuff like that, I am getting even more worried. It is not fun at all to go somewhere and feel like it is taking every ounce of your being to not panic and leave. I want to enjoy the upcoming holidays. Can anyone relate to me with the symptoms? I honestly feel like I am losing my mind.

While reading your post, your mention of the confusion and disorientation caught my attention. There is a condition that is quite common and often related to environment or diet that could be adding to your anxiety. It's called "brain fog". There is a good article online by Lawrence Wilson, MD that might make sense to you.

Sometimes, something as simple as changing the foods you eat can reduce some of the anxiety symptoms.

I did read your other post about psychogenic dizziness and your dizzy spells. It's great that you are keeping track of when these events occur. Perhaps you could do a 30 day symptom diary and include all the seemingly "insignificant" stuff like what you've eaten, how long you slept the previous night, weather, menstrual cycles, etc. You may find a commonality or a series of triggers.

Also, if you can, perhaps you could ask your doctor to have you tested for food sensitivities. Even minor sensitivities can cause physical symptoms that we don't often link to our food.

You aren't losing your mind. All of us that deal with phobias and panic issues have those same feelings. Take a deep breath (or five) and remember that you're not alone and that "this too shall pass".

I hope this gives you a bit of hope and/or comfort.

Hi. Thanks for replying! The thought of going to my doctor and asking her anything is terrifying. I am scared to death of anything or anyone medical. I actually went to my regular doctor a few months ago and mentioned the dizziness and she (without examing me) said it probably has something to do with allergies/the weather/sinuses. I live in a part of the U.S. that the weather varies day to day. She really didn't seem too concerned about it. Now the dizziness which I think is more like vertigo really has me freaked out. The more I think about it, the worse it gets. I know that there are a lot of food allergies, but I am a very picky eater and really haven't changed my diet at all in years. The dizziness has been at its worse for a couple of months. I don't remember if I mentioned this in any other post, but its like my anxiety takes cycles. When I first started having panic attacks as a child and even a few years ago when I would go into panic mode, I would hyperventilate and start shaking badly and get the disoriented feeling. I think the disoriented feeling is derealization..or something like that. I went without feeling panicky for a few months. In those few months that I was doing really well, I could see little clues of my anxiety coming through... Now the anxiety is starting to take back over. It's like a constant battle. The dizziness isn't a light headed feeling. It's more like the ground and my eyes are constantly moving..like my eyes are shaky. I do know that I am sensitive to caffeine. That is one thing that I know to avoid. It makes my jittery feeling even worse. If I am very involved in something, I don't notice the dizziness. The other day I got really involved in a project at home, and an hour later I started noticing the dizziness. I tried to look back during that hour and think, "Was I dizzy during that?" I just really want to think this is my anxiety and eventually it will pass like all of the other symptoms..It's just scary.

Hi! I am currently experiencing the same thing! It's quite new to me too. Not any of my usual symptoms or a variation of them I don't think. I have to convince myself it's low blood sugar to try and prevent the onset of an attack as a result of the dizziness lol.