Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.

Thread: I'm so scared

I'm so scared

Hey everyone last year I moved from buffalo ny to Dallas Texas. I been in buffalo all 15 years of my life. When moving to Texas my whole life changed. I went from having tons of friends to just having my brother as my best friend. I started school on August 26th 2012 and by October I was feeling chest pain trouble breathing where I had to think about breathing. Went to the doctors and they said it was just anxiety. So summer came and I was so happy because I was going to Ecuador where I have family and my brothers and I stayed there for 2 months. It was towards the end we went to the coast and I got bit by so many Mosquitos and a week later or so I got this rash. The doctor there prescribed me pills to take but nothing changed. I went online reading if it was chicken pox measles and I became so stressed finally I bought this cream and it went away. Towards the end of my trip my breathing came back where i had chest pain and I had to think about my breathing. I came back to the United States (Texas) and I searched and it said lung cancer and I was so scared and I went to the ER and they did an EKG and everything was fine and they gave me a card to see a pulmonologist. The pulmonologist said it was anxiety again. Then I started becoming real anxious about my body where I looked in my throat and I noticed red bumps and then I searched that and it said throat cancer. I became so scared that I was going to die and then I got a lump sensation in the throat and got even more scared. I went to an ENT and see put something up my nose and down my throat to check and she said everything was fine just had swelling in my tonsils. She assumed I had acid reflux so prescribed me pills. The lump sensation is actually a lot better and I don't feel it as much. But now I have neck pains, ear pains, and mild headaches that I think it's a brain tumor. I am so scared that I get real hot and feel like I'm going to pass out because I'm afraid of cancer and death. It's been about 3 months now where that's all I think about. I cry a lot now and I live each day in fear someone help me please

How old are you hunny? Take 3 breaths in big deep ones in your nose out your mouth they help calm down. As a healthy person I think the same - about cancer and terminal things. Its horrible hey? Sometimes symptoms are psychosomatic due to stress n anxiety. Have you tried a psychologist rather than a medical doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by Orchidxxx View Post
    How old are you hunny? Take 3 breaths in big deep ones in your nose out your mouth they help calm down. As a healthy person I think the same - about cancer and terminal things. Its horrible hey? Sometimes symptoms are psychosomatic due to stress n anxiety. Have you tried a psychologist rather than a medical doctor?
    Hey thank you so much for getting back to me. I am 16 years old. I made the wrong mistake to look up my symptoms online and all it said was cancer cancer cancer and it keeps killing me inside and that's all I think about. My headaches are gone doctor says I'm fine. They keep saying its anxiety but I never had an MRI or x-Ray so I don't know. Now I have pains by my lower abdominal area and up towards my ribs. Right away I think it's cancer and it scares me so much. I just want to feel peace of mind. My doctor recommends I see a therapist so I can talk. Thank you for answering and tell me what you think

Yeah looking for symptoms online def will not help! because diagnosis is never that easy. If you have had a full check up and GP gives you tick of approval then talking to a counciller/therapist might help, sometimes or symtoms, like a mentioned are psychosomatic so they appear as a physical symptom when really its the stress hormones your body produces when its anxious (which includes making your heart race, you feel sick or dizzy, rapid breathing, shaky). another way that might help as well is like, knowing you live a healthy lifestyle will help you know you are only putting good things into your body, like your fruit and veggie intake, drinking green tea, eating things that have antioxidants such as blueberries. But therapy can help, they know how the brain works and might be able to find the root of the problem as to why you feel like this in the first place, was there anything that triggered it off for example. good luck to you and let us know how you get on.

Hey bro. I know exactly what you're dealing with. When I was your age (I'm 38 now) I too had moved away from all my friends, add that to the stress of high school and I started believing that I had every disease that I read about. The mind is a very powerful thing and it's very easy to convince yourself that you have symptoms. I cannot IMAGINE what it would have been like for me if I'd had the Internet at the time in my life..I would have stayed up all night searching web sites and being horrified.

The stress of being a teenager is magnified by the fact that your body is basically overproducing hormones that it doesn't know how to deal with yet.

I know this sounds lame, but seriously...get some exercise...mild exercise, like walking or jogging. You probably have a lot of energy, so maybe some exercise in the morning AND at night. Make sure you are EATING well, lack of nutritious foods can have a devastating effect on the brain, do not underestimate the effect of food. And last but not least...SLEEP. Make sure you are getting 8 hours, I know you are able to function on little to no sleep at 16, but sleep is very important for your health.

I can tell you that it WILL get better. 16 can be a VERY stressful time, I know it was for me. You will get through this either way, but it will be MUCH easier when you learn how to deal with stress.

If you want to talk in more detail, send me a private message
    Last edited by Beard1975; 10-10-2013 at 10:16 AM.

A "Grounding Technique" is when a person uses his/her senses to get back to reality when they are afraid or dreaming.
    Try this one: If you wake from a nightmare, and you still feel like you are inside that nightmare, then have a piece of peppermint beside your bed. Once you taste the peppermint, it should bring you back to your normal self..

When I wake in a paralysis (frozen & sweating) I usually turn the lights on to make all the demons go away. I hate Hitler and the Grim Reaper and all the other black and dark creatures. But when I get up and turn the light on, and take a drink of water, I do feel much better. But if you just sit there, sometimes you will continue to see these demons such as chucky with his knife.... I hate the dreams.. Ok, I got to stop talking about them now. I am getting a little freaked out thinking about them.

Can't sleep!!!

My name is Daniel and I'm 16 and for the past month and it has been on and off I have trouble sleeping. I sit there and I dread going to bed because I know I will be up all night and I am tired in school. My mind at night is constantly racing and what will feel like minutes has been hours and it's the worst because I have to go to school and I need my sleep! My mind jus thinks about everything, school, work, friends, family, everything and it doesn't stop. I can't shut my brain off and it's so frustrating. I have been prescribed anxiety pills called peroxitene hcl 20 mg and that helped a lot but I hate taking medicine. Please I need help and advice.
    Thank you

[QUOTE=Chewdaddyer;37888]My name is Daniel and I'm 16 and for the past month and it has been on and off I have trouble sleeping. I sit there and I dread going to bed because I know I will be up all night and I am tired in school. My mind at night is constantly racing and what will feel like minutes has been hours and it's the worst because I have to go to school and I need my sleep! My mind jus thinks about everything, school, work, friends, family, everything and it doesn't stop. I can't shut my brain off and it's so frustrating. I have been prescribed anxiety pills called peroxitene hcl 20 mg and that helped a lot but I hate taking medicine. Please I need help and advice.
    Thank you so much all advice is welcome

[QUOTE=Chewdaddyer;37889]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewdaddyer View Post
    My name is Daniel and I'm 16 and for the past month and it has been on and off I have trouble sleeping. I sit there and I dread going to bed because I know I will be up all night and I am tired in school. My mind at night is constantly racing and what will feel like minutes has been hours and it's the worst because I have to go to school and I need my sleep! My mind jus thinks about everything, school, work, friends, family, everything and it doesn't stop. I can't shut my brain off and it's so frustrating. I have been prescribed anxiety pills called peroxitene hcl 20 mg and that helped a lot but I hate taking medicine. Please I need help and advice.
    Thank you so much all advice is welcome