Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Panic 468x60

Does anyone else feel this way?

I have been a part of this site for a few years now, and I always seem to find myself back here when I am at my worst. Right now I just need someone to tell me itís okay and I am having normal anxiety symptoms. I have been suffering with Agoraphobia and severe anxiety for several years so panic attacks are nothing new to me. At my worst I couldnít leave my house for months at a time, and at my best I feel like I can actually accomplish things. I have been doing so well with getting out and about, and I havenít had to rely on my husband to do simple things for me (like get the mail out of the mailbox because I was too scared to walk to the end of driveway.) I have my ďsafeĒ people who I will go anywhere with, and I was going places. I have gained some of my independence back. Every once in a while I would get the familiar panic symptoms, but I was quick to ďtalkĒ them away. Overall I was doing 10 times betterÖuntil today. I constantly have dizziness which I have linked to the anxiety. I can be perfectly fine and someone or something will trigger anxiety in me, and I will instantly become dizzy. Today I was with my mom and I felt dizzy. Itís something I have learned to cope with when I am out somewhere. Today the dizziness was somewhat worse, which I attributed to the normal anxiety plus this weather around here has been crazy so allergies have been bad. Which unfortunately also causes dizziness, and if everyone elseís anxiety is like mine one little symptom causes the anxiety to flare up. So today I am out with my mom and I am dizzy. It seems to be getting worse. I am trying to ignore it, and then my heart starts to pound. Then I start getting the out of body feeling. Then I start feeling really really faint. Which unfortunately even though it has never happened, passing out is my biggest all time fear. I felt like my head was spinning and it felt like I couldnít get my eyes to focus. Then I start to hyperventilate. I am an old pro when it comes to having a panic attack, but no matter how many times I have went through it, it is always terrifying. I seriously felt like I was going to pass out. I havenít panicked like this in a long time. Now a few hours after that episode I am still feeling a little dizzy and shaky. I think what scares me the most is during an episode like that I am trying to tell myself that its just anxiety, but there is always a voice in the back of my head thinking it is something worse. These panic attacks always seem to leave me a little disoriented. Is that normal? Someone could be telling me a story right after this happens and I could not tell you what they said. Itís like I canít focus. Is this a normal thing with severe panic problems? I do not take any sort of medication to help with anxiety, and I am not going to. I just want to know if anyone else ever has these symptoms or feelings.. Thanks for reading all of this. 

Our mind is our own worse eneny it is essentially the source of our fears. Are you sure ddizziness not because you not breathing properly? Try control your breathing to lower your heart rate. Hope you feel better

Thanks Orchid. Something that my therapist pointed out to me last year is that I tend to hold my breath. She said she would be sitting there talking to me and she could tell I wasn't breathing and then I would take a deep breath. I realize that I do this. I try to pay attention and not do it. The dizziness just really scares me. It's like I will be a little dizzy and then my anxiety jumps on that and escalates it.

Yes I too get dizzy spells. At least a few a day, and sometimes they do get as bad as you describe and I attribute mine to my anxiety. I am also a hypochondriach so when it happens I get really freaked out, too. It sucks a lot, but things could always be worse. Just keep your head up and keep moving foward.

yes the dizziness will come because your holding your breathing which means your depriving the oxygen to the brain hence the dizziness, i actually saw a doco on a lady who did that and she said a breathing therapist and she said it honestly changed her life (because she was holding her breath for so long without realising she would pass out and there was nothing medically wrong with her). so perhaps seeing someone to teach or how to control your breathing or be aware of it - have a google of mindfullness it is a form of cognitive behavioual therapy, easy to learn and it teaches you how to be more aware. also helps control your throughts. when your body is anxious (derivitive of the fight or flight mechanism) you body secretes epinephren (adrenalin) aka the stress hormone. this increases your heart rate and prepares you to flight or flight. too much of this stress hormone is bad for you and you can then start to have the pyschosomatic symptoms where you might get sick or feel sick or the like, because of too much of this hormone. breathing techniques help calm the body down - we dont have to let our bodies control us nor let the anxiety control us. we can learn to control it but i think check out breahing techiniques and mindfullness and let us know how you get on. Ive had panic attacks for the last 15 years and it takes a while to figure out how to control them or identify when your about to have one to try "lessen the impact" but yes panic attacks can be quite severe, ive only have one really bad one which lasted for a good 12hours it was horrible but never had once since. I agree, try find other ways, medication should always be the last option. good luck to you.

Thank you for all of the information. I think if it wasn't for the severe dizziness I could deal with the other effects of the anxiety. I have been suffering with anxiety since I was 13 years old and I am now 28. You would think at this point I would be a pro at dealing with the attacks. Another thing I think might be a factor is the weather in this area right now. It goes from being 90 degrees and sunny one day to 50 degrees and raining the next. I think that has played a factor in everyone's allergies right now. If I feel even a little sick its like my anxiety jumps at the opportunity to make things 10x worse. Yesterday I felt fine and this morning when I got up I felt a little dizzy and this afternoon it seemed to get really bad and I felt off balance. I don't fall over or fall into things or anything like that, but I feel like the room is moving and then I get these little jolts and I feel out of it. It's kind of hard to explain. Its like a muscle twitch it my neck or hands. It's weird. I know anxiety can cause havoc on your body, but there is always that "what if" in the back of my mind that tell me it might be something serious. Then of course those thoughts make things even worse.