Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Panic 468x60

Is anyone out there anymore?

I have been a part of this site for a few years now, and I always seem to find myself back here when I am at my worst. Right now I just need someone to tell me itís okay and I am having normal anxiety symptoms. I have been suffering with Agoraphobia and severe anxiety for several years so panic attacks are nothing new to me. At my worst I couldnít leave my house for months at a time, and at my best I feel like I can actually accomplish things. I have been doing so well with getting out and about, and I havenít had to rely on my husband to do simple things for me (like get the mail out of the mailbox because I was too scared to walk to the end of driveway.) I have my ďsafeĒ people who I will go anywhere with, and I was going places. I have gained some of my independence back. Every once in a while I would get the familiar panic symptoms, but I was quick to ďtalkĒ them away. Overall I was doing 10 times betterÖuntil today. I constantly have dizziness which I have linked to the anxiety. I can be perfectly fine and someone or something will trigger anxiety in me, and I will instantly become dizzy. Today I was with my mom and I felt dizzy. Itís something I have learned to cope with when I am out somewhere. Today the dizziness was somewhat worse, which I attributed to the normal anxiety plus this weather around here has been crazy so allergies have been bad. Which unfortunately also causes dizziness, and if everyone elseís anxiety is like mine one little symptom causes the anxiety to flare up. So today I am out with my mom and I am dizzy. It seems to be getting worse. I am trying to ignore it, and then my heart starts to pound. Then I start getting the out of body feeling. Then I start feeling really really faint. Which unfortunately even though it has never happened, passing out is my biggest all time fear. I felt like my head was spinning and it felt like I couldnít get my eyes to focus. Then I start to hyperventilate. I am an old pro when it comes to having a panic attack, but no matter how many times I have went through it, it is always terrifying. I seriously felt like I was going to pass out. I havenít panicked like this in a long time. Now a few hours after that episode I am still feeling a little dizzy and shaky. I think what scares me the most is during an episode like that I am trying to tell myself that its just anxiety, but there is always a voice in the back of my head thinking it is something worse. These panic attacks always seem to leave me a little disoriented. Is that normal? Someone could be telling me a story right after this happens and I could not tell you what they said. Itís like I canít focus. Is this a normal thing with severe panic problems? I do not take any sort of medication to help with anxiety, and I am not going to. I just want to know if anyone else ever has these symptoms or feelings.. Thanks for reading all of this. 

Hi Pretty. I have been trying to reply to your last message, where you replied to me but there appears to be some kind of problem. Anyways...I have had angoraphobia with anxiety for over 15 years. The first panic attack i had was when i was in my mid-twenties. As you probably know, things are never the same after the first one. Most of the time i never quite reach the full panic attack stage, but i always feel as though i am at the point of a full-blown panic attack. My anxiety level is always high and i also find that i struggle to concentrate and have memory lapses because of the high level of anxiety. The symptoms are the worst. I find that when i go out i struggle to breathe, am terribly frightened due to the possibility i may have a panic attack and i also tremble quite severely. I find all of this terribly embaressing, so i just don't go out!!! I also dislike the fact that some people can be quite condescending where this is concerned and there seems to be a stigma attached to the whole thing. Do people think we are idiots are something? I know, it is terribly hard to focus and concentrate when you go through these symptoms and my mind also goes blank. What treatment are you taking and as it helping?

Hi Sharon,
    Currently I am not doing any type of treatment. I was first diagnosed with severe anxiety/ agoraphobia when I was 13. I started taking medication and I took medication up until I was 19. The medication worked like a charm. I stopped taking it because I got married and I thought I was somehow cured of the anxiety problems. The crazy thing is that I went 2 years without one bit of anxiety. Out of nowhere one day I went into a full blown attack over nothing. It went downhill from there. It started out as mild anxiety and then I crashed. It took me almost 3 years to finally get somewhat of a grasp on things. I could barely leave the house, and walking to the mailbox was terrifying. My family and my doctor both wanted me to medicate again. I was completely against taking medication again. Slowly with the help of my husband I started going to some places and as long as I was with him I was somewhat okay. After a lot of pushing I finally started seeing a therapist last Spring (2012). She was awesome. She never tried to talk me into taking medication, and she gave me coping techniques. She pretty much taught me to take everything one day at a time. For example if today is a terrible anxiety day, it doesn't mean tomorrow will be a bad too. She told me if I have a really bad day to deal with it and move on. If I don't feel like doing anything, then don't do it and try again tomorrow but don't write myself off for the rest of the week. I was really bad about having a bad anxiety day and then not leaving the house for weeks. Even though it is extremely hard I try to take each day as its own day. Sometimes I can go days without having anxiety and others I will be scared to death of nothing.It comes and goes, that is what I hate the most. I haven't taken any medication for the passed 8 years. It has been very very rocky. I am getting better at facing my fears, but sometimes it is so overwelming and I hate it. You are right that there are people that can be condenscending. I don't let those people anywhere near me anymore. I am actually surprised at how many people I have found during my own struggles that have anxiety problems. Right now I am not seeing a therapist anymore and am just trying to do things on my own. I have a supportive family which is good. If I could just figure out how to deal with the dizziness and the little jolts I would be great. Are you doing any treatments? Another thing my therapist taught me was to talk to my anxiety. Pretend your anxiety is a person or a different object and talk to it. It may sound weird but I have literally yelled at my anxiety. I needed to go pick up my sister from work one day and I was terrified of leaving the house. Before I left I looked in the mirror and I was like "You aren't doing this to me. I have control and I will be just fine. She needs me to come and get her and I'm doing it!" It actually worked. I left the house and I did it.