Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dear peeps

This week I found out about a program for anxiety at the psychology clinic at the University of Sydney. I rang the clinic about it late this week and they are going to get back to me with an appointment time next week.

It's a program that treats anxiety with mindfulness. Mindfulness is based in Buddhism. I hold out much hope for the program as my anxiety is pretty much out of control at the moment and has been now for a couple of months :blink: .

I don't know if it's used in the US and UK, but here in Australia leading edge clinics that treat anxiety and depression are starting to use mindfulness. It seems to centre on staying 'in the moment' rather than letting one's thoughts race off into the future, but I'll tell you more about it when I'm in the program. I don't know much at this stage except that I need some HELP!

Luckily, the program is very affordable and it's only a token amount that I have to pay each week. If it was expensive like seeing a psychologist, I wouldn't be able to do it at all.

My psychiatrist, bless her heart, gave me the details about the program.

Has anyone in the forum done a mindfulness-based program to treat anxiety or depression? Apparently it can be used to treat panic attacks as well.

I'll let you know how I go with the program. I will most likely start it week after next.

Take care all
    Petal
    <span style='color:purple'>[i]A kitty curled up on your bed with you makes you complete.[/i]</span>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

good luck with it.

I am in analytic psychotherapy, and my therapist has a background of body psychotherapy trainings, so my therapy is very much focused on awareness..which is kind of like mindfulness...

Thanks Sorrel

I do hold out a lot of hope for this therapy for my anxiety I start in a week or so. I'll let people here know how it goes. I'm always prepared to try something new. It might just help!

Take care
    Petal
    <span style='color:purple'>[i]A kitty curled up on your bed with you makes you complete.[/i]</span>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I really hope it brings some relief for you.

Dear Peeps

Well, I qualify for the mindfulness program at the University of Sydney, Australia, to treat my out of control anxiety. I've had an initial interview to see if I qualified for the treatment program and YET AGAIN I've been diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder so zipadeedooda ... I'm in. Let's hope I get something from the program (which runs over 6 weeks).

The clinical psychologist who interviewed me picked up on my excessive hand washing and fear of germs in public as a symptom of my generalised anxiety disorder. I've started washing my hand excessively in the last year or so but didn't connect it with my anxiety until I saw her. In the last year, my anxiety has been getting steadily worse and so has my hand washing :blink: . Oh dear! I really don't understand how these things work. I feel like such a nutter :blink: .

The program begins in a couple of weeks and is for a small group of 6 I think. It's part of a research study being conducted by a clinical psychologist at the university.

She told me something interesting in the interview. She told me that Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) doesn't work well for people with generalised anxiety disorder and that's why they are trialling the treatment of generalised anxiety disorder with 'mindfulness'. I always wondered why CBT just didn't do it for me. It just didn't help at all. Now I understand that CBT just isn't any good for the treatment of my disorder rather than me not being right for that kind of treatment.

Now I've found this program, I'd recommend checking out university psychology clinics for treatment especially of anxiety related disorders. What they are offering seems to have merit to me and it's FREE for me, so it may be free for you too! Two universities in Sydney are offering this kind of treatment for the general community.

Thank goodness I've found something . I just wish I didn't have to wait a couple of weeks to start it!

Wishing you all the best peeps
    Petal Here's nutter Petal on the couch AGAIN!

Hi petal,

So how did this program work out for you? Have you found mindful meditation helpful? I'm really curious because I'd like to try using it for my own self. Maybe it would help with my OCD stuff.

Keep well and safe,
    Eclipse

Dear Eclipse

Hi there. I posted under your other post I think under 'Welcome' about mindfulness meditation.

Well, this particular program at the University of Sydney psychology department wasn't long enough and I didn't get much from it. I finished it before Christmas. Instead, I took myself off to see a Buddhist psychologist who is also a mindfulness meditation teacher who holds regular meditation sessions. I am finding it highly beneficial to meditate every day which I've been doing for about 6-7 weeks now. Some individual sessions with this Buddhist psychologist were very helpful also. I plan to see him again when I've got some money put aside for an appointment.

If you are drawn to mindfulness to help treat your disorder, I'd definitely give it a go. My meditation is being SO helpful for me. I am not getting anxious at work, I'm thinking clearly and can just go from task to task at work without getting myself into a state with anxiety. My work performance has been so much better. I'd say I'm pretty near operating at 100% and it's the meditation which seems to be making the difference. I've also been able to reduce the dose of my anti-depressant and am not needing to take Xanax for my anxiety at all.

If you like the idea of meditating, I'd look around to find a teacher and class you can go to each week for group meditation and guidance. You might also google under 'Buddhist psychologist' too to find a therapist in your area who works with mindfulness. If you google 'mindfulness meditation' you should find teachers and/or retreats not too far from you. Which country are you in? If you're in Australia, I can make some recommendations.

Please let me know if you've got any further questions. I'm only too happy to share any information I have with you should you be interested.

Meditation isn't for everyone but if you are drawn to it, it's likely that it will sit well with you.

It's quite hard work to meditate and requires persistence and discipline but it's definitely worth the effort.

Let me know what meditation options present themselves for you in your neck of the woods. I'd be interested to know.

Wishing you all the best
    Petal

I find this thread rather intriguing....curious, really, because this is sort of what my therapist does (he is your regular psychotherapist, but for the last few years has called himself a "spiritual psychotherapist"). His practices really aren't rooted in any specific denomination, but the "staying in the moment" approach is quite familiar to me. In any case, I'm just anxious to see if this type of therapy really catches on.

Petal, I am glad you are finding success with it. You are right, it requires a lot of discipline. I know for me that it has been every bit as frustrating as it has been rewarding. Reading that it has produced great results for someone else may make me work a little harder at it.

Dear BlondeandBlack

Yes, I find 'mindfulness' therapy very helpful but it is extremely hard work.

It sounds like you've found a good psychotherapist and I'm glad you like the 'staying in the moment' approach.

Stick with it if you can. It is helpful but you need to practice it every day to get results from it. If you practice it daily, it becomes a habit. Once it becomes a habit, it's not so difficult to practice anymore.

I wish you all the best. Do let us know how you are going with your 'mindfulness'.

Bye for now
    Petal

Hi petal,

I've been trying to do mindfulness meditation but seem to have a problem with clearing my mind of thoughts. I'd like to know if you could give a description of your method of meditation. If you could describe the breathing technique, posture, and thinking process you use while meditating. I've read some about it on websites but am still confused and wondering if I'm doing it right. Unfortunately, I do not have easy access to any group that practices it in my area. I would greatly appreciate any further information you could offer me about it.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Keep well and safe,
    Eclipse