Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Driving 468x60

Agoraphobia and depression: at home since December

I just typed a really long description of my situation but it somehow got lost. Haven't left my house since I was hospitalized in December. Have suffered from depression, anxiety, panic and alcoholism for many years (all at various times in my life).

I did have a really good period in my life in my early 30s when I was sober, met my husband, got married, had kids. Then it all came back worse than ever after we started moving every few years for my husband's job. Just seemed to get worse each time, and after over a year in Georgia, I just fell apart.

Would really like to talk to some other people online about their agoraphobia and how they manage - or don't.

hi im new on here and have suffered from anxiety panic attack for over 12 years now did have a spell of agoraphobia but now manage to do lots off things cannot ride on bus alone or go out of comfort zone do work in a residential home and find this helps

hi susan-

how great that you are able to leave home. i used to be ok in my small 1-5 mile radius of places to go, but that all fell apart this past fall. now i'm not pushing myself hard enough to get back to getting in the car. at this point, i have trouble even waling to the end of our (long) driveway to get the mail!

Quote Originally Posted by meg l View Post
    hi susan-

how great that you are able to leave home. i used to be ok in my small 1-5 mile radius of places to go, but that all fell apart this past fall. now i'm not pushing myself hard enough to get back to getting in the car. at this point, i have trouble even waling to the end of our (long) driveway to get the mail!

I haven't left my house in 8 years. Agoraphobia is beatable but hard.

iv been near enough housebound for 5 years and it does seem to just keep getting harder. i know this is so much easier to say as im unable to practice what i preach but dont give up meg i guess try and take inspiration off people like susan who manage to battle on with it

What is it that you're scared of? I prefer being at home as well, but it's b/c I get migraines that make me extremely dizzy and lightheaded... When I leave the house I always fear that I'll have a migraine while driving (which has never happened) or a migraine at a store, etc (which has happened). I've always feared that my anxiety would make me agoraphobic, but not sure if I have that now, or is it the migraines? Watch the movie w jack Nicholson "as good as it gets".... Always inspires me to GET UP AND GET OUT OF THE HOUSE AND LIVE YOUR LIFE!!!! The worse that can happen, will happen no matter if your at home or having a ball out of your house. Hope this helps... And wishing peace for you.

i do love that film. its like you know it should be that easy to go do things but even though you know you just cant. for me its a stomach, anxiety and social issue that stops me being able to go out

hi meg
    you sound like me. I can't even check my mail or hardly sit on my deck. I feel dizzy and light headed. My kids try to push me to do things and I try but fail.I always felt like I was alone in this.It feels good knowing I'm not now but sucks that it even exist. I'll pray for you and Susan.

well you are saying nice ...... i do love that film. its like you know it should be that easy to go do things but even though you know you just cant. for me its a stomach, anxiety and social issue that stops me being able to go out thanks 4 reply