Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Panic 468x60

1st time out of the house in a month

I am an hour away from leaving the house for the first time in a month. My reason for leaving is to visit with a behavioral therapist. I am praying that she can shed some light on me and help me ... I know it will take time but I am more determined than ever to overcome this stupid agoraphobia battle. It's only been a month and it has affected my life in so many negative ways. Ive suffered from anxiety disorder and panic attacks for the past 4 years. Agoraphobia has been the worst. I could handle the panic attacks, being afraid to step out into my own front yard is just ridiculous! Wish me luck! I have felt anxious all day, been to the bathroom numerous times and feel very light headed ... Lord, please let this be the day where I get on some medication and learn techniques to switch this miserable time into an awesome one.

Good for you for deciding on taking the big leap of getting out of your comfort zone. How did it go? I've had agoraphobia for years now, and so I know how truly difficult the disorder is to deal with. I'm constantly in the recovery process. I've not yet fully beaten it and been able to just get out there and go about my business without a care in the world. But I can say that I'm getting better, slowly but surely, each time I'm out of my comfort zone isn't as terrifying as it used to be. I really think that is the key to fighting agoraphobia, pushing yourself to make your time outside of the house more frequent. It has to be a routine. I understand that it's so daunting, but the more you are out there and learn to talk yourself through the anxiety and panic you experience the more progress you will make. But start with baby steps. Even if that means only going to get the mail from your letterbox or going for a walk around the block. Have you tried CBT before? This helped me a lot. I really hope your therapist can help you to get out more. A lot of the hard work is going to have to come from you though...I wish you well in trying to beat this. Give it everything you've got! Don't let it linger like I did.

Well I survived it. I actually felt so good to go out I just went and visited some friends. I was out of the house for about 5 hours. It felt amazing!! I get to where Im terrified to lave but yet I am going stir crazy from being stuck inside the house! I am attempting a shopping trip today. Hopefully it goes as smoothly as Im wanting it too. I hope you are able to continue to prosper on. I am refusing to let agoraphobia continue to control me. It is the worst feeling I have ever experienced and very life altering.

i am very pleased to hear how hard you are battling it. keep at it and i wish you well

This is so amazing, glad your pushing yourself to get better. I'm in the same position, pushed myself to where now it almost comes natural to get in the car and go. I'm still working on going into place that freaks me out really bad, hope and confidence is how i get through mine. Sounds like you are a strong person, keep up the going out to places and it will get easier each time. good luck

Hi all , i am very pleased to hear how hard you are battling it. keep at it and i wish you well ..... keep it nice sharing guys
    "DaviD"