Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.

diagnosed with agoraphobia!

So today i went to the anxiety clinic in my local town, after waiting about 8 weeks! i was quite anxious to find out what he would say about me, turns out i have agoraphobia, panic disorder and depression, depression is quite mild though. Id never really heard of agoraphobia or thought id have anything to do with it, i knew i had some sort of anxiety problem but to my knowledge most people with agoraphobia cant leave the house and find it hard to socialize,. i mean yeah it varies and depends how severe one has it.. but i have no trouble leaving the house or socializing, i just get very home sick easy and will leave in the middle of doing something and try to get home as fast as i can. i cant stay at peoples houses like i used to when i was a kid (fun sleepers!) not anymore and i also suffer greatly from depersonalization.. anyone who has agoraphobia feel free to comment below and share what you feel and have trouble doing, would be great to get off your chest and also help me understand a bit more (:

fun sleepovers*

i struggled for along time with agorphobia and phobias of all sorts.....taking showers going in the basement being away from home... etc etc...... then i starteyd taking zoloft and it went away... i jusy have troubles driving on highways and interstates alone now... can do easily if sum1 with me tho.... how r u doing now thx for posting also
    'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for.

Wow showering ? Basements. My phobias don't consist so much of that.. Mine consist more just being away from home and out f my comfort zone.. Not being able to get back and being stuck there forever
    I also fear that I'm schizophrenic :/ I don't know what to believe! I fear I'm going to end up in a mental home if that was the case I'd rather die than be embarrassed by that!
    Good quote btw, makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Emilyjane View Post
    Wow showering ? Basements. My phobias don't consist so much of that.. Mine consist more just being away from home and out f my comfort zone.. Not being able to get back and being stuck there forever
    I also fear that I'm schizophrenic :/ I don't know what to believe! I fear I'm going to end up in a mental home if that was the case I'd rather die than be embarrassed by that!
    Good quote btw, makes sense
    yes its embarassing and i felt the same way rather be dead then to be like that, tell i got better..... and my agora was the same as yours comfort zone and all and being far or away from home
    'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for.

Diagnosed with agoraphobia!this is the medial terminology so need some help about its detail and its explanation ? If somebody have the accurate idea about it narrate here nicely and properly.

fun can in awaknesssss ......... lolzzzzzzzz

that's very weird... what you said about not having trouble leaving the house but wanting to come back as soon as possible, I have something similar as well, I haven't been diagnosed with it yet but I know I had it about two years ago when I didn't leave the house in about 3-4 months literally but this was because I was having severe depression, after that I was somehow able to leave the house with the help of a friend. But in the beginning it was veryyy hard for me. Now two years later I am having depression again, and I find myself not being able to cope with crowded places anymore, or even going to school is a drag because i want to come back home asap, or last nite I went to a friend's house and i had a terrible panic attack, which was a very unpleasant experience mostly because I have no idea what triggered it and other people were there. But I do have a bit of trouble socializing when I'm depressed anyway so in that part I guess I differ from what you just said. Right now I am able to leave the house but if given a choice I wouldn't... I wish I could just talk to someone about all of this... panic attacks are very tiring and the depression itself makes me feel tired and uneasy sometimes...
    Last edited by cerise; 10-01-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Hi there! I also have Agoraphobia. Before having these panic attacks, I used to love going out with friends and do anything I please with no worries not until the day I finally experienced a panic attack. I became reserved when it comes to social activities. I can't stay for long in a crowded place such as in movie house or concert or somewhere crowded wherein getting out of the area is not possible or hard to reach. Even in public vehicles, I occasionally get anxious and when I alight, I walk fast to go home quickly. Been experiencing this for quite a long time and I'm still trying to conquer these attacks. The previous weeks, I get anxious before going to sleep, when everyone's asleep and the surrounding is quiet , my mind starts thinking of things, a lot of what if's, what if I have a panic attack in the middle of the night? will we go the hospital? what if what ifs. I'm currently living in a foreign country now, which I think adds to my anxiety. new people. new environment. Well anyway, right now I'm doing some exercise (to release tensions), avoiding foods that could trigger anxiety, and listens to music (to pre occupy my mind at night). Hope through this forum we could learn from / help each other.

I was diagnosed with Agoraphobia in 2004 and have it 95% kicked and doing great. My issues was driving alone on highways especially in between cities. I feel safe in a city especially knowing im close to a hospital (which is weird). I would have severe panic attacks from this causing my heat to beat above 180 beats per minute. For awhile i dropped out of college and moved home and it got worse. I just decided to face it and its gotten much better. I fly overseas for work and can sit 8 hours on an airplane without an issue. i have Ataivan and keep it in my pocket knowing if things start to get bad i can pop one in. Its all about knowing your body and reassuring it.