Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Driving 468x60

Thread: panic attacks

Unhappy panic attacks

Im having a big panic attack right now my head feels freakin weird my arm is numb i need help i feel like im going crazy can someone anyony help me

Relax. First of all. The more you get scared the more your physically symptoms will take it's toll. Breathe through your nose slowly. Think positive, and remember it's not going to hurt you, it only feels like it

Good point about relaxing your mind as much as possible. I try taking deep breaths, closing my eyes and putting myself in the most serene memory possible. It works most of the time.

The reason your arm feels like its going numb is not unusual and is caused by hyperventilation (overbreathing) which is not dangerous but does cause some unpleasant sensations. The following is from wikipedia:

'Hyperventilation can sometimes cause symptoms such as numbness or tingling in the hands, feet and lips, lightheadedness, dizziness, headache, chest pain, slurred speech, nervous laughter, and sometimes fainting.'

Try to focus on your breathing rhythym: draw a breath slowly in through your nose and exhale slowly through pursed lips. I hope this helps a little at least.

The numbness can sometimes be relieved by physical activity. Nothing strenuous but a brisk walk with some moderate swinging of the arms. If you are unable to get out, try doing some windmills, and arm rotations to get your blood moving. It's kind of like when your foot falls asleep after you've been sitting in a way that has cut off the c***ulation.