Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fear of being alone!

I have a very strange phobia and have not yet met anyone with it and with the same level of it!!!

I can remember when my fear first started to manifest...it was a couple of years ago and even tho I would get nervous anyway on my own, I was quite ok...with agoraphobia my partner would do the school trips in the morning while I played on the computer...however, one day one of my sons was ill so I had one at home while he left with the other...but! After he'd been gone a few moments, my heart started to pound and I felt sick and dizzy (even tho I was laid watching TV with my son) and I felt pure panic! I raced to the front door to call my partner back but he was gone...so I raced back inside nearly cryin and near hysterical! I called my mother and she sat and spoke to me till he got back...I was fine for a while then one morning we argued my partner and I and he left angry...another wave of panic hit me and I yelled for him to come back...he refused and kept goin...so anyways I raced round my house screaming for somebody to help me and was so scared athat I called my mother again to talk to me till he got back...this began a steady thing until soon I couldnt even do that and my mother would have to come and sit with me while he did the afternoon pick up and I started paying for my sons to get to school by taxi...it never usually bothered me but is now startin to get to me.

Then a few weeks back we had an argument because we needed bread and he got annoyed because I couldnt be alone just for 20 mins...he left anyways and I started to panic massivly...thankfully my 13 year old son was great with me and stayed on the phone to my mother but it has left my confidence to be alone badly crushed...and what doesnt help is that to this day I still havent met anyone who is as bad!!

I am getting CBT but I dread the next step which is alone in my house for 15 mins...sounds pathecti I know but I really hope there is somebody out there who has had this or has it...oh and sorry for the long thread! Thought it better to explain everything!

I had a friend with similar symptoms. She couldn't stand being in a house by herself, let alone a room at times. She eventually went to a therapist and during her sessions I would go over and stay with her while her roommate was out of town or away for long periods. About a year in, she's getting a lot better. I wish you the best and hope you start adjusting as well!

You are having pretty basic Panic Attacks.
    It's pretty common to associate them with someone or something.
    Good luck!

hi sweet_blu
    For somereason im unable to post under my old nick of dino , i remember you hope you do me lol

Just want you to know everything you wrote above is exactly the same way i am , i could of written the post word for word and i understand what a terryfying way of life this is

i for somereason cannot pm you but if you can please pm me and i will send you my e mail addy if you want to talk more

thinking of you and huge hugs

loads love
    xxxxxxxx

oh DINO!!! I have seen your post on here forever.. I am glad that you are back...

Hi Smiley

Thank you so much for your kind words atm im unable tp pm you back as says i have to do more posts lol

I was as you know a member and a moderator on here for many years when it was taken over by a new owner for somereason i was unable to post anymore or use my original nic of dino which made me feel i lost my Identity and also if i'm honest i was hurt , my self esteem was low at that point also due to a family death

I also did not want to lose contact with the many friends i made on here and did not want to leave the original owners whom without there support id of been lost so i have now been on a new forum instead where florence etc are also on

I still pop on here now and again as i still love reading the posts etc but feel overwhelmed

Also have been so ill have not been able to post anywhere as of late as mainly bedridden with such severe panics my agro etc

I thank you again for your lovely reply and pm and please know your in my thoughts

love bindi /dino lol

Hey, i have this, its actually called Monophobia.. and it sucks. Im 20 years old and i have it but i have no escape from it. I am a student, and i dont have any fammily ties, not any that would take me seriously. Iv known for a very long time that i have this, id avoid being home alone when i was younger then when i met my partner i was never alone we spent all our time together or i was with family. When i started uni thats when i lost contact with half of my family, then my boyfriend started to cheat on me and lie to me constantly as i moved away fro uni, not far about an hour. Then my friend died, then i lost contact with my other half of family. Only people i had was uni friends and my cheating boyf, then another friend died and i really lost it, drinking partying, but then pulled it back together for uni. So now i live away from what little family i have and i live with my friend but she goes home for summer. Im living in hell. I am petrified constantly, only time im happy is when im at work and as i work part time thats not to often. Last night i sat staring at my door.. im on sleeping tablets, i drink, i smoke .. i have constant head aches and chest pains... everyday i just tell myself i only have 8 weeks left till my friend moves in, in the mean time i wait for my cheating boyf to turn up everynow and then. The funny thing is i study psychology but i cant to CBT as i have no support and nobody knows i have this. This is the first time iv said it to anyone other then my hamster, which i bought this week to take the emptyness of my house away. I am sorry i have put such a long message on urs, i was just so relieved to see i wasnt the only one!

Hi LucM, I know it's hard but you need to get the help that's necessary for you to get better. Don't be afraid to tell your family. This is a highly treatable condition and most insurance plans cover it. I have anxiety and agoraphobia and my family don't always understand (someone who's not living it will never really get it), but they know I need help because nobody deserves or wants to live in fear.

All the best!

Hello,

I am a 32 year old woman. I am college educated and active. This is the first time I have talked about this issue. I am absolutely terrified of being alone at night. During the daytime, I am just fine. But at night, I cannot be alone in my house. For example: Last night my sister spent away from home. I went into a sheer panic. I sobbed. I couldn't stay there alone. It feels like the whole world shrinks and I am the only person in it. I have lived with this all my adult life. I was raised in a large household, so growing up, I was never alone at night. It truly dominated my life. I think about the possibility of being alone at night EVERY DAY. It isn't the dark that frightens me. I can go outside at night, I can run errands at night or go places with friends. Anyone have any input?

Don't worry, I feel that way too. I used to be tough, and have no fears.. But now, I think about horrible things when I go to bed. If I sleep alone, it is worse. I NEVER watch anymore scary movies. I can't do that anymore..