Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.

Severe anxiety and hypochondria

Hey everyone. I've had severe anxiety for about 10 years. I started self medicating with alcohol. That didn't turn out well at all. So it's been a while since I had a drink and I've been medicating with Xanax. I usually wait until it's really bad to take it and my tolerance is starting to build. It usually takes 1.5-2 mgs of Xanax to relax me but it also takes 30 minutes to work. I feel pains in my chest, palpitations, shortness of breath and a warped reality. Its very frustrating cause I know it's anxiety but it mirrors the symptoms of a heart attack. I've been to the cardiologist twice and they said nothing is wrong. Sometimes when in driving it comes on and I have to call someone to take my mind off it. And if it's not my heart, it's something else. If I have stomach pains, then I think I have stomach cancer. If my head hurts, it's a brain tumor. I think you get the point. I'm sick of living this way! Im 34 years old and I'm fed up with this feeling. I look around at everyone else and wonder how they can go through the day without thinking about death. Is there a trick to block it out? Can someone please help, I'm sick and tired of being scared all the time

I'm also brand new to this site. I would appreciate any help or stories to ease my pain. It's very debilitating and it keeps me from doing things that I would like to do. I'm a good listener to. Since I've been having severe anxiety for a while, I've been through a lot of ups and downs. When I go on vacation, I dread it!! Imagine that! All I can think is I'm gonna be far from home, have to fly, and blah blah blah.

Yes i am agree with Nervous jeff it can get rid of the physical anxiety i really like ur post it is quite helpful really beneficial for the patients of severe anxiety..........

Personal Trainer St Ives
    Last edited by Terry22; 01-07-2012 at 01:13 AM.

Jeff, Welcome to the site. You will see Colourgirl's post when she comes back. She is the best thing since sliced bread, and she has a lot of good information. She had surgery recently and is away, but she should be back shortly..

If you ever need to communicate with anyone, I am here most days. I don't chat, but I will receive and send private messages. I have had all sort's of stuff go wrong with my body and mind, so I am not a professional, but a survivor of deep depression and anxiety.

Have a great day! Here in the south part of the United States, it is very cold today. My windshield was frozen this morning. Had to put hot water on it to see out.

Hi Jeff. I feel exactly the same way. Every single day I am convinced I have some undiscovered illness and that I'm dying. I too, look around at everyone else and wonder how they just have a normal day and not think about dying. I had a panic attack today and the worst feeling of impending doom I've ever had. It's like a nightmare that I can't escape from. It's constant. All day long. I've convinced myself that I've had ovarian cancer, coccyx cancer, HIV, brain tumor, thyroid tumor, lung cancer, esophogeal cancer, stomach cancer and most recently liver cancer and nasopharyngeal cancer. It's awful. It won't stop.

Hi All,

Wow! The more I read the posts here, the more I realize that I'm not the only one dealing with all these symptoms. Almost all of my symptoms mimic heart attack as well. I get the left sided chest pain that goes into my left arm pit and runs up into my neck. I get the tingling in my face and shooting pain in my back. I get the clammy palms, fast heart rate, shortness of breath, and nausea. All the signs of a major heart attack! I've been there and I've dealt with these issues for over 10 years myself. It's no joy ride that's for sure.

What I've done over the years is read. I read posts like these. I post and now I've started my own website that shares some of my experiences with anxiety and panic.

I feel for everyone who has to deal with this. Even today, I have attacks that make me want to just roll over and die so it can just be all done with and over. It's a horrible feeling, but we can't give up! We have to stay positive and support one another.

I've found that distraction is the best cure for an attack. I mean really getting yourself focused on something. For me, it's been about music and sounds. I like nature sounds and jazz music. So I try to turn it on and dig into a project like building model cars, cleaning, yard work, anything that takes my mind off of the anxiety and panic. The longer I do it, the better I feel. I try to commit to at least an hour of doing something before stopping. Sometimes it takes longer, sometimes less. Remember to breath deeply and slowly at first to get yourself calm enough to do something.

I use a spreadsheet to track my triggers and also to keep record of the times that I don't have attacks. There's a copy available on my website if you want to use it. It's a downloadable, excel spreadsheet. Keep copies in your car, at home, at work, and in your pocket. When you start to feel something, document the who, what, when, where, and why of it. It's been a real help for me to identify my triggers.

Best of luck to everyone.
    Robert
    Anxiety and Panic Resources -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    You CAN overcome your symptoms, but you have to turn every stone and try something new.

Hello Everyone, I suffer from anxiety/agoraphobia/ i am a hypochondriac . Every week, I too feel that I have some unseen disease. I have found myself at the doctor's office about 6 times in this past month alone. Now I cant even afford to go anymore. I take xanax at the moment but only when I feel that I really need it. I haven't left the house expect to go to the doctors office in the past 3 months. It terrifies me to even think of going outside because I feel that I am going to pass out from heat exhaustion or something like that. I live in California where Spring is summer weather so it is extremely hot all of the time. I cant stand the heat, it makes me dizzy/ light headed, I have to literally grab on to something to walk because I feel that i will faint although I have never actually fainted at all in my lifetime. I have constant headaches that lead me to believe that I have some brain illness. Also I am ALWAYS tired. I am only 19 and I feel that I should be bed ridden because I dont have any energy at all. To stand kills me, this could be due to my lack of activity but still I feel that it is going to lead me to my death.

Can all of this constant worrying and fear of life kill you? I hear of people dying from stress. Is this true?

i am the same as you suffer from anxiety/agoraphobia/monophobia etc etc i am a hypochondriac

so dizzy everyday cannot exercise as feel so so faint everyday drs said it is caused by anxiety

i like you have no energy also worn out from i think contant panics but i always think it must be my heart lungs etc causing this

your not alone

hugs bindi x

hello im the same way too sometimes i just want to give up!!

Thanks for sharing.