Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.

I FINALLY DID IT!! Checked into a hospital.

I am now almost 33 years old and had never been diagnosed, I knew I was ill but was too paranoid to go do anything about it. So last week I did it. I checked myself into the hospital. I spent 10 days, came home with meds and finally a diagnosis. I am Bipolar. I knew I was, but my paranoia always made me think otherwise. Like I had a paranoia disorder, or an anxiety disorder. I am feeling a little better now that I know, and am on Lithium among other things.

well Bipolar, adjustment disorder and some OCD. Typical I am sure.

Good to hear Purple Fairy. I may be bipolar too. I was on lithium for a while and the dr.'s told me that it my be severe depression.. Anyway, I am on effexor now and feel a lot better.

Lithium can be rough if you are not meant to be on it. I know that it took me about a week to get used to it, then I had to go to jail to take care of some fines, the nurse there I am convinced got her degree out of a cracker jack box as she told me (after I spent 72 hours awake and 48 of it hallucinating) that lithium was for hallucinations and not bi polar. Needless to say, since I couldnt get the sleep I needed or proper food (cause theres sucks and isnt edible) coupled with the fact that she was giving me two Vistaril at night and one in the morning the buildup and closeness of the doses caused me to hallucinate, she was basically making me overdose on vistaril and get toxic from too much lithium, as the lack of decent food can affect your levels, this is what caused my hallucinations and other symptoms. Now that I went to the hospital again and found that out, am eating better and getting sleep the severe side effects (metal taste in my mouth and hallucinations) are going away. I can't wait to start seeing a shrink and see what else I get officially diagnosed with. I am not sure that all my symptoms can be linked to the bi polar.
    I am glad you are on a med that working for you.
    I have been on several anti depressants in the past and had funky reactions to them. They tried me on prozac when I first arrived at the hospital, I walked around with this big grin on my face and I wanted to laugh at everything. Which is why I was diagnosed bi polar since I have now "failed" as they call it multiple SSRI's. As well as the fact that it runs in my family.

I think the doc's have to play with the med's before they find the right one for you..