Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.

Anxiety: The Symptom Mimicker

Hello, how is everyone. Does anyone else experience this?

I have first been having this scary numbing feeling on the left side of my cheek and in my left arm and hand. This is scary because it is symptoms of something more serious. I have had my heart checked and it's fine, but I get these sensations and I can't help but worry. I think this is related to stress because I can't relax lately and can't find peace of mind with all that is happening recently in my life. It is hard for me to tell if the sensations or the racing mind comes first.

This anxiety is crazy how it can mimic other more seious things. I would really like to hear from some other people in similar situations, and describe the physical symptoms anxiety & stress causes you. Thanks for reading. Peace, FF

hey ...I'm Julie...I haven't been to this forum for a while but I'm back because I too suffer with anxiety. I know just how you feel!! Believe me...I've been there. I too have been to the hospital and the staff practically laugh at me because I'm in there thinking I'm dying. I've been to my regular doctor and him just shake his head because my issues are all in mine. It's a terrible feeling and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I pray that my son doesn't end up with it. I've been struggling with anxiety and depression since my early 20's and it does run in the family. After my mom died seven years ago I suffered but it seems like this past year has been the worst yet! My symptoms include numbness in my face and my fingers, TMJ, stiff neck and shoulders that cause so much agony, headaches, insomnia, tightness in my scalp, lump in my throat, dry heaves, crying...those are just to name a few. I usually cry everyday because I feel so overwhelmed with worry. Sometimes once I start crying and let it go I'm good for the rest of the evening but not a day goes by that I don't suffer. I'm sad and just feel like an empty shell. I resigned from my job because I think the stress from them wanting to lay me off really got to me. My husband is very very understanding but I don't want to cry everyday and him have to deal with it. It's alot to deal with ya know? I've had panic attacks in different situations and it makes me phobic of having to do the activity again afterwards. I also suffer with health anxiety so I can't step foot in the hospital now without throwing up and when I go to the doctor's office my blood pressure go through the roof!!! Just know that you're not alone and that there are others that suffer right along with you...Just don't let this panic attack scare you away from being intimate with your wife because I think that that bond is so very important especially when you do have anxiety.
    Last edited by ladyjulz; 12-17-2011 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Name

Hi...I did a horrible job of editing my last post..I reposted an earlier message..

Hey Julz,

Thanks for your reply. Haha maybe if I had a wife to be intimate with that would help. So you say this happens to you everyday? For me it seems to come out of the blue and get real bad, then it lingers and is still there when I wake up the next morning and can even last days. Then I have weeks of normalness. It is so strange how this happens only on my left side - numbness and weakness in the face and arm. Has anything helped you relax besides crying, and how ling did it take you to wind down?

Hmm thanks for sharing this wonderful post really like ur post it is quite helpful discussion in this thread thanks u so much for the impressive post......

Thanks for sharing.