Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.

Phobia of throwing up!

I have suffered from this fear since 4-5 yrs old! :| Its gotten worse over the last 4 years. I am now 30. I have not had much luck in finding a therapist or pyschologist that specializes in this phobia. I have hit a brick wall and especially this time of year during flu season is when I am at my worst.

Any helpful info appreciated.

Thanks

I use to have that when i was a kid. I think it was because i was afraid if i threw up everyone would be looking at me and judging me. I remember I would get so nervous about throwing up when i was a kid i wouldn't eat at lunch so just in case i did throw up nothing gross would be thrown up. I would even have a problem with swallowing my own spit because i thought it would make me throw up. The funniest thing is what cured me was Jackass, i remember i was sitting at home when i was 11 or something and they were showing the Jackass TV show. I was watching it and they were doing there crazy stunts and i can't remember what they were doing but steveo threw up and he kept throwing up. Right there i thought okay if these guys are cool and they are throwing up. Throwing up isn't that big of a deal after all. From that day on i have never had a problem with throw up. I hate the smell of it but i think thats everyone. I think you should throw up and then look at yourself and realize its not that bad. Silly story but i hope it helps.

thanks for sharing.. if only it were that easy for me :0( I cannot watch Jackass for that reason... I am unable to watch it on TV or hear it in person. I fear flu season and even fear becoming a mom bc when my child gets sick what will I do. I have a complete panic attach when someone near me or even tells me they get sick I go into panic mode. I worry the most during the months of Nov-April bc that is known to be the seasons when people mostly come down with the flu. I can deal with the regular flu (sneezing coughing fever etc) but when it deals with stomach issues I am completely hopeless. I worry bc it is so contagious to have the stomach flu and I am incapable of being any help when my partner gets sick. Then I worry omg if he gets sick how long until I catch it and then become sick myself. Even if I become sick I quarentine myself so nobody around me gets it either. its really a sad and depressing phobia bc its a part of life that is such an involuntary act and out of no where it can creep up.
    Hopefully someone out there can shed some light on how they have dealt, over came etc. I am willing to try anything at this point bc it really affects my everyday life. I can not even enjoy the holiday season. I have googled this for days on end. I read howie mandels story and he suffers from a serious germ phobia along with ocd and anxiety. I really feel for him. b c I know how it feels :0(

You know this kind of makes me wonder. Things happened to me when I was one year old that stayed in the back of my mind all my life until a skilled psychologist worked them out of me. Do you suppose you might have been in your crib (you will likely think this is crazy), threw up and layed in it a while before someone came in and noticed it?

Im willing to believe anything could have caused it. Sometimes as a child the smallest thing could traumatize you and stay with you forever. Unfortunately at this point I dont really care what caused it I just want to get rid of it. bc this is a terrible phobia and one that pretty much stays with you on an almost regular basis. Im at a brick wall bc every therapist I have contacted has not really had much experience in this department.

Lost :0(

The reason I mentioned my experience was that once I had discovered where and what the trauma had been and shared it with my pshychologist and sister the phobia was gone and I have been off meds and out of hospitals now for 25 years. It came out with a roar almost as if someone else had been in me. It was scary at the moment but later I had rest and peace.
    I would like to add maybe if you check with mother or aunts or siblings there would be a clue. That is where my clue came from since I was so young.

Im truly happy for you that you over came it! I wish you luck with your help and hope you now live a happy healthy full filling life :0)

I have this fear too. I am so scared to sleep ;(