Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Driving 468x60

ocd is taking over my life

hey i have a problem like when i walk places i always got to walk back the same way i came if i dont my heart start beating fast this is driving me crazy i need some help here

Super Moderator
    Hello dwayne,

Welcome to Phobics Awareness! I don't suffer from OCD (the diagnosis) but definitely have been subjected to obsessive thoughts. I wanted to read up on your condition because I wondered why you are compelled to travel on the same path from both points. I got some good information from wikipedia, here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...lsive_disorder

I wanted to know what it was like for you, because the article breaks compulsive behavior into two categories, "Some people with OCD perform compulsive rituals because they inexplicably feel they have to, others act compulsively so as to mitigate the anxiety that stems from particular obsessive thoughts." Do you know what drives your compulsion? Do you feel like you have to do it or something bad will happen, or do you feel like it will alleviate your panic to go back the same way?

How are you doing now? Have you found ways to release your anxiety so you don't experience these symptoms? Living with OCD seems very challenging, the article shows a high rate of depression amongst sufferers, but something else that I found interesting, is that people who suffer from it have a higher IQ, and that the disorder is very treatable.

I hope to hear how you are doing! Take care!

Colourgirl