Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.

the breathing technique thats helped me so much

okay, i havent been suffering for a long time, maybe 3 years tops but since iv really concentrated on getting better iv made amazing progress.

first things first, the definition of a panic attack in itself helped me,
    A panic attack is a fight or flight response caused by irrational fears which result in unrealistic thoughts, the body begins to panic and therefore u begin to breathe in small quick pants, this disturbs the bodies co2/02 ratio, which in turn causes all the other unpleasant feelings, dizziness, heart palpitations (which btw is VERY good for your heart because it exercises the muscle and makes it stronger) so the way to stop a panic attack is to rationalise and take control of ur breathing

THIS TECHNIQUE TAKES 2 MINUTES TO WORK AND IT DOES WORK ITS SIMPLE

all you have to do is concentrate
    breate in for 7 seconds
    breathe out for 11 seconds

thats it, do this for 2 minutes and all the while say to yourself

"for goodness sake, its a panic attack its caused by irrational thoughts and i can stop it"

it has changed my life, but always remember the definition of a panic attack.. i really hope this helps at least one other person and i'll be happy, please try it guys

I am def going to try this next time one comes on. Thanks!

slow deep breathing really helps me. But I don't like to focus on the numbers. I just have to do what feels right for me otherwise I'll yawn too much. haha which just screws the whole thing up hehe.

lol, same here but it only takes a few breaths and then you get into the rythmn, then u need to concentrate on what is actually happening and know that its literally caused by co2/o2 ratio being disturbed. as long as you breathe out longer than u breathe in ur flyin. I used to use paper bags but now i dont even need them.

Super Moderator
    It's amazing how our salvation lies in just a few simple steps!! Deep breathing was my nemesis, and still is due to respiratory issues and asthma. But it produces amazing results!! Ty for posting your technique!

Colourgirl

Hi there,

Kudos to you! I just wanted to add my experience to this. I tried the 7-11 breathing and could not get it to work for me. I always felt like I was struggling to breath. Box breathing had the same effect, I just couldn't seem to catch my breath. What did work for me though was mantra. I inhale deeply and then chant on the exhale and that helps me a lot.

Cheers,
    Sher!