Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

How can I get over the fear of dying?

Hello everyone

So... I'm not really sure how to start with this. But I desperately need someone's help or just someone to talk to, to get this off my chest.. I am terrified of dying and it's starting to ruin my life :-( I am constantly having these horrible panic attacks and sometimes I just can't stop it! It worse at night, because I just lay there and think about it and I have no idea why! I was going to therapy but she wasn't very helpful. She was just teaching me how to stop a panic attack but not how to actually tackle the problem.. I hate this feeling of pure terror that runs through me every time I think about it and it's pretty much everyday now. It's embarrassing when I have to try n stop myself panicking in front of ppl for no reason! I just don't know what to do anymore! I desperately need help and just need someone to talk to about this :-(

i have the same problem my dear friend...i additionally have ocd.the key to go through panic attacks is to stop fearing of them...we have to accept tha we suffer from a an anxiety(mental) disorder AND WE ARE PROUD OF IT!panic happens because of some harmless malfunctions in our brain!nothing is going to happen!our neurological system seems to be more sensitive against anxiety and reacts in this way!!!BUT THAT'S NOT DEATH!!PANIC IS ONLY THOUGHTS,SILLY THOUGHTS THAT increase the amount of andrenaline in our body.but it will pass by itself in 15-20 minutes!! want an advice from me?when u feel relaxed and calmed try to ''call'' panic,try to provoce them...yes to provoce them!!!!!if yo it many times u will be able to notice the vicious c***le...u have panic attacks cause you fear of them!in fact u fear of your self and of panic attacks.in fact u dont fear of death!!u know that u are healthy and u are not in danger!what is more, who can provoce or foresee his death?no one.the fact that you thimk or fear of death doesn't mean that you are going to be dead...if the dead people could foresee their death before it happens and get anxious they maybe could save themselves,dont you think?but nobody can foresee his death this is why panic thoughts are fake!!u can talk with me about panic i suffer many years of it!!i hope i helped u friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello,

so i was reading what u wrote. I feel the exact same way. Everyday i fear of dying and it terrifies the heck out of me. Im even scared to go to sleep sometimes and sometimes i can't wait to go to sleep because im not thinking when im asleep. I was also goin to therapy and i feel she didnt understand. I went to the doctor and he put me on medication, but the thought of takin medicine made me feel like i was going to die and made me panic even more. I feel like there is no cure. The only thing i can do is pray to god because i feel it wasn't for that I would have gone completely crazy by now. I'm trying so hard...I could talk about this forever but im sure you know all about it.

I can see what your all saying.... It's sort of comforting in a weird a way weird knowing I'm not the only one if you know what I mean? It's not the panic attack's that I fear, it's knowing that one day all of this will be over and what's the point in all this if that's the case? I just don't understand and thats what scares me. It started from my mum telling me when I was a kid when I asked her what would happen and she replied when your dead, your just dead... So yeah not great to tell a 9 year old. So now I imagine it to be like... You know when you go to sleep, but you don't dream, it's just blank? Thatsnwhat I fear death will be like. I'm starting to panic a bit just writing that coz I can't even talk about it :-( but what I don't understand, why do I keep thinking about it? There's no reason to! I know I'm not going to die for many years but it's the fear I know it's coming!! And everything I would have gained in this life will be lost.... So what's the point with us being here?ni just don't understand. I haven't been able to sleep properly in a very long time because of it, it sometimes even triggers when I'm in a small space or room. But it definitely helps talking to you guys about it as I feel therapist doesn't really let you talk on and on like that lol

I'm s happy you said this because I could never find words to explain how I was feeling. You said you fell like there is no point because were all going to die anyways, this is exactly what most people feel when. I always just stare at things, outside, cars , people and just wonder why?? Why do we do any of this? I get terrified when I think like that because it makes me fearful for my children, like well the world is going to crap and when I die my kids are going to have to deal with this, and you know I fear that with being sick I'm not doing a very good job taking care of my children and then I get depressed. I am also very relieved that I found this site, I haven't been able to actually talk and connect with anyone in such a long time!!

This is exactly the same as me and it gets extremely scary because you are afraid that you might now wake up the next morning. I gets so hard when you heart starts beating fast or harder and you feel short of breath like I am right now, took a lorazopam and should help soon, but it is a very scary thing becasue i am only21 and have a daughter and fiance. I don't want to die and i get terrifed when i get prescribed medicines. Took everything i had to start taking them, seem like my zoloft is helping and lorazopam too but it going to take time! But i know where everyone is coming from. I want to get better and I can get through this.

Hello,
    My first time in a chat room like this. I want you all to know that you are not alone. I have panic disorder and fell like I am dying when I have panic attacks. I feel like I am going to pass out because I stop breathing and have to concentrate on my breathing. I am 33 and had my first panic attack at 16. Over the years, the panic and anxiety has come and gone. It's also changed in how it manifests itself. If anyone tries to tell you that what you are experiencing is not a panic attack because that is not what they experience you are wrong. It is different for all of us. I have been on several medicaitons. Paxil worked but the withdrawal symptoms were terrible. Prozac made me feel depressed. I am currently on Zoloft and that seems to be working. It's been 6 weeks since my last panic attack. I still take Lorazopam on occasion. I would recommend medication to anyone with panic disorder but do so under the guidance of a counselor. The meds can do strange things to your body in the first few weeks but sometimes they actually work. Just remember that you got through the last panic attack. You lived. You learned a little about yourself. It will get better. Anyway, that's how I feel right now.

yea my therapist when she talks to me its like shes readin straight from the book she studied from. I need someone to empathize with me not sympathize for me. It frustrates me that I cannot get these thoughts of dying out of my head. They just came from no where. It feels like there is no end to this. I felt really alone but reading everybody elses stories lets me know i am not the only one.

I have to say that i am so glad i found this sight. i to worry on a daily basis about dying. the worst part is i know that one day im gonna wake up and see that life has passed me by. ive spent so much time worrying about dying that i didnt take the time out to live. i dont know why my panic attacks have been so bad lately. its constant. if anyone would like to add me so we can talk, thatd be great. i find it easier to calm down when im talking to someone who knows where im coming from and what ive been thru.

Quote Originally Posted by fantasy4u1515 View Post
    I have to say that i am so glad i found this sight. i to worry on a daily basis about dying. the worst part is i know that one day im gonna wake up and see that life has passed me by. ive spent so much time worrying about dying that i didnt take the time out to live. i dont know why my panic attacks have been so bad lately. its constant. if anyone would like to add me so we can talk, thatd be great. i find it easier to calm down when im talking to someone who knows where im coming from and what ive been thru.
    Thats what I'm afraid of too... I'm not concentrating on my life but more worrying about the fear of dying. But why do we do it? No one else panics like we do, how comes there are ok with it all? I've been a bit jittery this evening. It's what I call it when I feel a panic attack is coming... :-( I shouldnt have to feel like this every day. Why do you think yours is getting worse then?