Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Panic 468x60

Hypochondria....

I used to joke about being a hypochondriac. "Oh, ha, maybe I have this". I HATE myself for doing that, now. As soon as I started having panic attacks, I (like most people, I think) developed a fear of heart attacks... but now it's just developing into something so, so much worse. The SECOND I feel something slightly off with my body, I panic. I become completely consumed by the idea that I have some horrible disease. I can usually talk myself out of going to the doctor/hospital... but have definitely been there a few more times than a normal person would. Last week, I was positive that I had appendicitis, and spent two days sobbing in my room. Despite the fact that I have had my period regularly, I am constantly worried that I am pregnant. I just feel such fear all the time. I want to think about something other than being sick. And I want my fear of being sick to stop causing me to have panic attacks. This is an awful cycle, and awful way of thinking, and I just want to stop. I feel insane. I'm studying to become a psychologist... I'm supposed to help people like this, not be completely consumed by it, myself.

I know what you mean and how you feel...your body goes into a fight and flight response evrytime the littlest thing happens you panic like you are 100 times more sensitive to everything then everyone else...I have exactly that I do feel as though I am going to die sometimes and it makes me feel like i am crazy

i used to be the same about joking about hyperchondriac.. i never even really knew it was an "illness" if thats what you wanna call it, but now that i have been reading your post and others, i feel im the same.. i constantly worry about my health! and im always convinced its something SO much worse than it is.. not long ago i had this tingling sensation in my hand and my arm felt really weak, i panicked straight away and went to the doctors.. he didnt seem concerned about it, but got me to go get some tests done, then told me it could have been a blood clot which is serious, so of course i thought the worst and thought i had a blood clot and freaked out! then while that was happening i had to get blood tests because i kept getting bruises everywhere, which also ended up being nothing, but morel to the story is that i worried about every little symptom of something wrong with me :/
    how are you doing now anyway? would like to hear back from you

I've been to the ER dozens of times since the '80's.
    There is never really anything wrong with me.
    But everytime I end up going - it feels like there surely is something wrong with me.
    I feel like THIS time it's different.
    It has ruined my life.