Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.

Teenage Phobia - Fear of Choking

Hey guys,

I'm 17 and I've had a fear of choking for almost a year now. Actually, I've had it once before. It all began when I choked once on something I was eating when I was about 12. After that I went about a year without eating much at all; mushed bananas and the breaded outsides of chicken nuggets. Delicious, I know. I lost a ton of weight, and was in general having a tough time with my fear. I was so afraid that anything I would put in my mouth would cause me to choke, so I found myself just avoiding food all together. Amazingly (and fortunately!), my phobia went away on its own, and by the time I was 13 I was eating normally again. However my intense fear of choking came back this past year while I was eating dinner. I had a complete panic attack and thought I was dying. Since then I've been back to eating mush and getting crazy anxious every time I have to eat. I also have started to get anxious around small things like coins or toothpicks, thinking that I might swallow them subconsciously. I know this fear is completely irrational, but I'm having a hard time dealing with it on my own. I'd really appreciate it if anyone had any similar stories to share with me, or just some advice about dealing with anxiety in general.

Thanks so much
    Teenage Phobia

Wow. While I don't have a similar problem I do know what that fear, paranoia and anxiety is like. I think like anyone you just have to try all the coping and calming techniques that you can. Basically you'll have to retrain your brain. There are obviously connections there between survival and eating/choking in your mind. Definitely not something you can avoid for the rest of your life. Definitely get some help.

Deal with it now

I have had a fear of choking my whole life. Now 36. There have been times where it is so bad I won't eat anything that isn't mushy or blended. I get panic attacks when I know I have to go to dinner with strangers. I did go to a psychiatrist for a year. It brought stress down and that helped overall, but it returned again. I do hear that CBT is the best approach, which I have yet to try. I have been drinking before eating to calm down, but that is definitely not the right approach. I can just say that your doing the right thing to deal with it now or your going to be 20yrs older still suffering.

I can't relate to you very well, but I want to share with you this poem:

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters
    By Portia Nelson
    1. I walk down the street,
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I am lost...I am helpless
    It isn’t my fault.
    It takes forever to find a way out.
    2. I walk down the street,
    I pretend I don’t see it
    I fall in again
    I can’t believe I am in the same place.
    But, it isn’t my fault.
    It still takes a long time to get out.
    3. I walk down the street,
    I see it there
    I still fall in...it’s a habit
    My eyes are open.
    I know where I am.
    It is my fault.
    I get out immediately.
    4. I walk down the same street.
    I walk around it.
    5. I walk down another street.

I know that it seems as if you have nothing to hold onto right now, but you will get over it eventually. Trust me. It seems as if it is impossible but you got over it when you were thirteen and I trust that you can do it again. I believe in you.