Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Panic 468x60

why do i even do it?

i cant understand y i self harm? has anyone any explanation, its just i get such high frustrations and cant stop, i dont even know y, theres no logical explanation, iv been sh for 9 years- help

I remember doing it once. It always makes me think of that Johnny Cash song. I was on medication for a condition I did not have at all. The drugs made me a different person and so completely numb. There's something so so very unnatural about feeling nothing that I just had to feel something to tell me i was still alive.
    I can't say if that's why others do it because really I have never been a self-harmer... but I did hurt myself once just to feel.
    At that time i would have much rather be in pain, be upset, anything that be so completely numb.

Oh, the song Hurt by Johnny Cash? That song is amazing...one of my favorites. Anyways. People harm themselves for numerous reasons. I harm myself because bringing that blade to my skin and feeling my skin tear open is a relief. Seeing the blood dribble out of the wound, the burning sensation...It's all so...real.
    So sorry. I hope this wasn't triggering to anyone who reads this!!!!

I used to do that but then I moved from that to hanging myseLf and I've been caught doing it..

Hi Cheryl Like you guys, I used to do that to myself. I used to think "so why would anyone care if I hurt myself like this or like that?" It was a result of my inner negative thoughts, problems with my self-esteem, and feeling frustration. Rather than calling it an easy escape I would call it irritation with a mix of heartache.. I suggest learning how to handle frustration is the best option. Physical damage is a result so if you can control your emotion that is causing this hurt you can say goodbye to hurting yourself Send me a message if you need to speak

Hi Everyone, I use to be a cutter i believe i did it for attention i was suffering from depression and anxiety but everyone thought that i was lying or making things up and cutting was my way of saying HELLO I'M HERE I NEED HELP! after i received treatment i eventually stopped. I do notice that sometimes when i am upset that i push my finger nail into my hand or something small to give myself a little pain my most recent incident was when i was in a fight with my husband and i felt like our relationship was failing. Its like i'm punishing myself because i feel like everything is my fault. I hope you are ok

you say you get high frustrations and stuff, i know that when i self harm i forget everything and souly focus on the pain, it always makes everything else in the world seem so unimportant and trivial. it's the perfect escape from everything, thing is, when you come back to reality it sucks twice as hard and thats why it gets so addicting so quick.

i self harm, but I'm not sure why I do it either. I've come to the conclusion that its a way of punishing myself or to actually feel something. Most of the time I can't make decisions for myself either, this is one decision i have made for myself and nobody knows about it so nobody can judge me on it..... i dunno... now that i read that to myself out loud it sounds messed up :s but those are just my reasons...

I used to self harm alot. The only way I managed it was with medications that was prescribed to me; anti pshycotic tablets. The self harm to me was a way of letting out my feelings, I wanted to feel in control. Mentally I wasnt in control, my head was all over the place, with body I had total control which I think lead to self harm!

I used to be addicted but went to treatment and stopped