Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.

Panic attacks driving me CRAZY!

I have a panic disorder which has been under control for quite a number of years. I have now have a panic attack in each of the past 5 days. I can barely function anymore and am trying every avenue I know of to get help, but no one (meaning doctors) can see me for several more weeks.

I am very aware of behavioral and breathing techniques, and also have meds that are supposed to help alleviate acute anxiety attacks. I had to take 5 of them a couple days ago to come down from the attack.

If you or anyone you know has gone through something like this, I would love for you to share your story and let me know I'm not alone. As you know if you've experienced an attack before, it feels like a combination of losing your sanity completely, having a complete break, and dying. I cannot endure this much longer and desperately need some good advice and help here. Thanks so much!

j,
    I really don't have any advice for you, but all I can tell you is you are not alone. I am going through the same exact thing right now. I totally understand your frustration with not being able to see a doctor for a couple of weeks. It's like you have to go through hell and be at your wits end until you get to be seen. I've been going through it for the past 5 weeks. They keep switching my meds around which is making me more anxious. I hope for both of us, this turmoil is over for us soon. BTW I just had a panic attack tonite and it was a tough one too. Hang in there!

Thanks for the encouragement luvbug, I've never had 5 days of attacks in a row, so this has been brutal. And none of the doctors understand how critical this is. My meds aren't helping that are supposed to help when I'm experiencing the most extreme effects. I know all the breathing techniques and behavioral tricks and techniques, but nothing can help when you are literally staring into the abyss of nothing, stomach wrenching, unable to catch your breath, and feeling like you're about to die. It means so much to me to hear someone else knows what I'm going through, while no one around me does...

I do. This disorder sucks! I don't think there is enough exposure about it and that there is a negative stigma about it. I have people in my own family that tell me to just get over. Stop worrying. Do they honestly think that I want to feel like this? Having this constant knot in you stomach. For me, I can't eat. I lost 15 pounds already and people just say...good for you! HELLO!!!! I would like to eat. That causes even more anxiety for me. I actually am worried because I switched myself back to the meds I was on at the beginning of the summer...that were working except that I gained weight. I have had my summer ruined by this disorder. I am a teacher and now have to get myself together for 20 little darlings come September. Hopefully it will resolve itself soon. Any behavioral tricks that you can share with me?

I went through a period of panic attacks twice week and mine wear mw out to where I can't walk or talk for about an hour later. Thie only way to stop them is to let them take there course or Valium in heavy dosage when they start. Too a point I puled almost pass out from the Valium. And that was the prescribed amount, I lost weight and lost control of bodily functions during an attack, so public attacks, I always had spare clothes with me if I know I was getting close to one. We all suffer differently to the same attacks, and so does the medicine to Io. TAKE VALIUM, when an attack is coming on and take allot.If you tried breathing and all the other methods then you aren't doling some of them right. They do calm you down enough that you regain control to a point. And dwelling on them just give them more power, they start from your own brain so that means you control them, so self control is another really hard method to use, but I can think my self out of 50-75% of them now . NO IT IS NOT EASY! You as you explain purely let it take you over and that is what it wants.
    family does not understand unless you take them with you to the doctor or tell them all that happens to you. This is really a big subject on this Website is panic/anxiety attacks, look up some old posting and read what was said in the past. thanks Eric P.

I too thought I had my anxiety under control and I have had this disorder for 30 years Wrong! For the past three weeks they have been getting progressively worse and I too am waiting to see my doctor but the wait is HELL and seems to take forever. I have gotten so bad this week I had to take some vacation days because I knew I would not be able to function at work since it was all I could do just getting up the nerve to leave my house. I know you said the breathing and coping skills where not helping but keep using them and remember you are not ALONE. Things I have done while waiting to get in was try to figure out what may have triggered these attacks; a past or recent traumatic event, a change in my home or social life and also even a change in my diet or daily routine. DON'T GIVE UP!!

hi ive been reading what everybody has wrote and i also suffer from anxiety. I went to a counselor and it didnt work. I saved up to go to a doctor cuz i dont have insurance and he gave me to different medicines that didnt work so then he told me to go see a phyciatrist. As if he just closed the door on me. So now what. Everytime I feel anxiety comin on I start to eat and eat to try and take my mind off things so im gaining so much weight, then after i eat i always feel that i stuffed myself to much that im gonna die. I always have this feeling all day that i cant breath i always feel like my throat is gonna close up and i will completely be out of air, then i start panicking. Am i crazy?

Hey there!
    I am in the same boat, but sadly to say, mine happen at least once a day. At times, I have had five or six panic attacks or constant anxiety all day long. They are ruining my life. I have been to 3 doctors (2 urgent cares & 1 heart doctor) who have all said that I am perfectly fine besides a sinus infection.

My sample panic attack:
    1. My head will start pounding either from pressure or tension. The next thing you know I'm freaking out because I think I'm having a brain anuyuersm (sorry don't know how to spell that).
    2. All of a sudden, I feel like I can't breathe when in reality my nose is just stopped up and making it difficult.

Here are a few things for me:
    -Always have liquid Benadryl around. It calms you down and instantly unclogs your sinuses or allergies (which cause a lot of panic attacks).
    -Journal! Write down the date, time, and make up a goofy name for the attack. Ex: "Coke attack"---Not from doing too much cocaine, but from drinking caffeine which triggers panic attacks. Then, write down the symptoms you are having, what you think the causes are, and how you think you can fix them. Journaling helps so you can look back and realize you already had a panic attack like this before.
    - Avoid a ton of sugar and caffeine.
    -Always stay hydrated (sometimes when you don't your body will get shaky and weak making you think that you are dying).
    -Eat healthy

I have other disorders that cause panic attacks: acid reflux, sinuses, allergies, etc.

I have asthma that causes alot of my panic attacks but I can be watching a good movie and have one...