Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Panic 468x60
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Agoraphobic terrified of driving????

Hi.

I'm agoraphobic i can venture from the house occassionally but not on my own and i'm also terrified of driving. I have horrible dreams of driving and the idea of driving a car completely terrifies me!!!!!!! The scariest thing is driving on my own or making a mistake. I don't want to drive but i do, if that makes sense. My psychologist thinks getting my learners and driving would really help with my agoraphobia.

I can really relate to you. The idea of driving is really scary to me, even though I've driven before years ago but I didn't end up getting my license. I was a little nervous when I drove before, but since I've been putting off driving for so long, my nervousness seems to have turned into a fear! It is such a bad idea to put things off like that. I think I fear most of being alone while driving.

But anyways, I hope you are able to get through this fear. Well.. you and me both! Would be great if we could talk some time. Talk to you laterz then.. maybe!

Super Moderator
    Hello ririandlivi,

I agree with your psychologist! Learning how to drive would be extremely empowering and be great exposure therapy for you! Five years ago, I would sweat and envision crashes while I drove, making me a gooey mess when I got out of the car. I kept at it, though I felt completely spent at times from all the panic. I now can drive anywhere, and can pick up my nephew who lives hours away.... which is an amazing blessing to me. So both of you, cameron and ririandlivi, don't give up the fight! It's definitely worth it!

Keep at it! Take care!

Colourgirl

hi i know how it feels to be scared to drive. i have panic disorder...controlled with medication for depression (celexa) and xanac (panic disorder, ocd)...
    there was a time when i got in the car and would become so out of control i had to pull over.....after 6 weeks of taking my meds i was much better if i try to
    cut back on them the symptoms try to come back...maybe a doctor can help? i totally understand wanting to overcome w/ o meds though....wish i could. maybe someday.

i dont like driving either im scared of driving.my life has been so hard and it still is.I trying to find a way to overcome it.I feel stuck and in prison.im tired and want to be free and cant seem to find a soulution.does anyone have a way to overcome this it seems like I am the only one with this problem and i feel so lonley.maybe talking to others about the same problem i have will help me.

Have you ever drove car? Maybe it would really help if you try it out. I'm scared to drive when I haven't used my car for a long time. I don't drive regulary, when I don't use it once a week at least I get scared and I have to overpower myself to drive again!

i have a driving phobia as well. no real tragic accidents that have created it. i have had dreams growing up i was left in the car while my mom or grandma ran into the store and the car rolled away and i was forced to drive and i'd be around the age of ten. it was pretty scary, what caused those dreams i don't know. are they some how related i don't know eaither.
    i'm 28 and i don't have a permit or n othing. i have panic attacks and can't even attempt it. i don't have no full on support and i'd be way to terrified of crashing my husbands car to even attempt at practising on. i haven't found a helpful dr yet eaither and now atm i don't even have the time to find a dr. i'd love to get over it but i don't think i can do it alone and it seems its just me to do it. i know nothing about driving last time i drove i got my pedals mixed up and almost ran my dog over he was outside, anotehr time i ran into my garage. it sucks its holding me back in life and is making things very difficult as the years go on and as my son gets older. i'd like to get over it for him but i need to find support to help me. some friends just tell me its in my head, and as we know that is not very encouraging so i just stopped talking about it to most. i tried to get ppl to help me with getting my permit even, maybe i'll feel a pride of accomplishment but that has ended up nowhere as well. its very disappointing in oneself.

Stressed Out with Driving.

Hi, I`m in the same position as you folks too. As part of a previous employment, it was my responsibility to attend the scene of Traffic Accidents and deal with the aftermath. I was always a confident Driver, (I`ve never been responsible for causing an accident, since passing my Driving Test, in 1975). However, I have been involved in quite a few accidents in the course of my life. In 1990, I was late in meeting up with 3 friends, one of whom was my `Best Mate`, because of a broken windscreen wiper, on my own car, which held me back from meeting up with them. The next day, I found out that they had all been killed, in the car, which had I kept my appointment with them, I would have been in too. In the years, following that, I began to suffer from severe stomach problems, which was only later diagnosed as Anxiety, at the prospect of driving. I stopped driving altogether. This created its own problems, as I live in a Rural area, with an almost non-existent, Public Transport system, so I took up cycling as a means of getting around. Cycling, is more of a dangerous form of transport than a car, but I managed it without any of the anxiety, that I felt in driving a car. However, it is not the most practical method of getting from A-B (the nearest Town is 8 miles away!!). A few months ago, a friend took me for a ride on his Chopper (Motorcycle) and I thourghly enjoyed the experience...much to my surprise!!!. So, now I`m thinking about getting myself back on the road, on a motorbike, which is probably not the safest form of transport either..but I feel I ought to give it a go....as...it`s not a car, and I have owned motorcycles myself, in the past. I`m just not sure that it`s a `Good Idea` though, as just thinking about it, scares the crap out of me!.
    I don`t like being in cars, although strangely enough, the only person I feel safe with when he is driving, is my Paraplegic friend, who because of his disability, drives in a sensible manner. Compare this to my other mate, (In the U.K., he would be referred to as a `White Van Man`), who drives everywhere at `Maximum Warp` and scares me to death. I too feel isolated because of this fear of driving, but I feel I must try to overcome it, otherwise, `Life will pass me by`.

has anyone had a panic attack and just sat through it didnt run from it
    ?

I would get the permit and start driving to places close to your home...or around your neighborhood. Maybe you could drive in some abandoned parking lot just to feel more comfortable? Also..I would drive during non-peak hours.