Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    What's Your Purpose?

A Healing Thought of the Day reader sent me this quote from the movie, HUGO. I love it because I think purpose is one of our essential elements to a happy life.

Each person, has a purpose; the universe doesn't come with any left-over and useless parts.

What good will you put into the world when you commit to yours?

You have enormous healing potential, the goal is learning to access it. Dig deep. You can do this. I believe in you!

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach
    Founder, www.healmyptsd.com

Super Moderator
    Recovery Is A Long and Winding Road‏

As my mother would say, trauma recovery is 'a long and winding road.' Seeing it that way - and accepting it - makes the journey so much easier.

In the foreword to my trauma recovery memoir that comes out in April, Dr. Alex Pattakos describes it this way:

Like all of us, Michele's life path has been like walking a labyrinth--a path of meaning to be experienced. Whether we may know it or not, when we walk the path we are never really lost even though we can never quite see where we are going. Along the path we sometimes move forward with ease and confidence; sometimes we creep ahead cautiously; sometimes we feel the need to stop and reflect; and sometimes we feel the urge to retreat. The center of the labyrinth is there but our path takes us through countless twists and turns. Sometimes we are at the heart of our life experiences, sometimes we are at a playful turn; sometimes we share our path with others, and other times we don't. No matter what, we are still on the labyrinth path. It holds all our life experiences. Indeed, in so many ways, the labyrinth is like life.

(To read more from my trauma recovery memoir, click here to download an excerpt.)

Embrace and walk your labyrinth. In the center you'll find freedom.

You have enormous healing potential, the goal is learning to access it. Dig deep. You can do this. I believe in you!

In joy,
    Michele

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach

Super Moderator
    Are You Falling Into This Recovery Trap?‏

When you're miserable, struggling and afraid you'll never be free from the effects of trauma, it's easy to find yourself sinking in the quicksand of self-pity. I have to admit, I've been there myself.

John W. Gardner said,

Self-pity is easily the most destructive of the nonpharmaceutical narcotics; it is addictive, gives momentary pleasure and separates the victim from reality.

Take a quick mental scan today: how much self-pity are you engaging in? What will you do to begin pulling yourself out of it and beginning to move in a more positive direction?

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach

Super Moderator
    Dear friends,

My apologies for posting this thought of the day late. Today I got out of the house on my own!!! All my energies were centered on getting out of the house, and therefore not on here. When I logged on to see this amazing thought of the day, I just had to share. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

With much gentleness,

Colourgirl

It is so hard for me to be happy cause i don't have no support.I will love to be happy one day but cant see it happening no time soon i need some help doing that and stop thinking about what everyone else got going on in there lives and think about me sometimes cause i'm the one hurting not them can you help me.

Super Moderator
    Hello latrisha850!

I can really sympathise with you about needing help and needing support. I think it's a fabulous first step towards your goal that you have started to reach out, because a lot of us stay stuck because there are holes and gaps in our support system. It can feel like we are the only ones going through this and everyone else is leading productive and fruitful lives. It is NOT true, even though your mind wants to convince you that it is. Finding ways to reach out when you have a little more energy is key, like you are doing right now. Be gentle with yourself. This takes time to turn our thinking patterns around, especially since the patterns are born out of trauma, if you have PTSD, or if you have a mental illness.

I hope this forum will boost your morale up as you see how others deal with their own issues, and often times, it can just take one connection that can help spark the seed of hope and recovery. Glad to have you with us, latrisha.

Take care, and be gentle on yourself!

Colourgirl
    Last edited by Colourgirl; 03-01-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Super Moderator
    What To Do When Your Past Is Present‏

On my recovery journey I tried a slew of modalities before I ultimately reached complete freedom. One of them was EMDR Therapy. According to Dr. Francine Shapiro, developer of the technique:

The past is present. What we need to become aware of is whether the responses are appropriate.

There are many ways to assess how your past is impacting your present. EMDR might be a great help to you.

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal

PTSD Coach
    Last edited by Colourgirl; 03-01-2012 at 09:34 PM.

correct! it is in the constitution. :-) Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Super Moderator
    What I Discovered About Fear‏

Along my recovery journey I discovered that I lived in enormous fear and that somehow, I had come to love and depend on it.

Funny, isn't it, how we can hate something that makes us feel bad and yet be reluctant to give it up? This quote from my forthcoming PTSD memoir sums up how I described it to my therapist:

"Fear makes me feel like things are under control," I explain to Greg. "I'm always afraid, so I won't be shocked when something frightening happens. Or I'm always afraid, so I'll see something bad coming because I'm looking for it. In the past, whenever I've tried to let go of the fear, I feel lost. And then I feel frightened that I'm lost, until I find something to fear again and then, I feel better, more connected. Without fear I feel like something's missing. It's a ridiculous cycle, but I can't break it."

In the end, I did break the cycle of fear - and, oh, how liberating that was!

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach

Super Moderator
    Do You Believe In Luck?

There's just no way around it: you have to create the life you want after trauma.

Thomas Jefferson discovered a funny thing:

I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more luck I have.

How hard are you working? How could you kick that up one notch? (Remember: sometimes kicking your recovery up a notch, means slowing down and/or taking a break.)

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach