Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    The Benefit of Making Changes In Recovery

During my recovery I made some big changes in my life. For example, I took myself out of environments that weren't good for me. I actually moved from one state to another very far away.

The benefits were pretty immediate:

I begin to feel safe. Somewhere, in the midst of unpacking in this rented space and over hours of phone therapy with Greg, plus the research, I understand the problem has been that I never acknowledged my past and then came back to the present. Instead, I have lived in the trauma and run away from myself in every moment. It is time to sit still.

What changes can you make about where you live, where you go, where you work, who you spend time with that will support you during your recovery?
    You have enormous healing potential, the goal is learning to access it. Dig deep. You can do this. I believe in you!

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach
    Founder, www.healmyptsd.com

Super Moderator

Hello friends,

I saw this on the PTSD website and found it so interesting that I had to share. Very thought provoking.. getting rid of some of your friends!

With gentleness,

Colourgirl

PTSD Recovery Tip: Get Rid Of (Some of) Your Friends

Recovery from trauma takes a lot of effort and commitment on your part. Effort that requires energy, focus and support. Every survivor I’ve ever met who’s moved through the recovery process has a Frenemy story: a story about someone he or she thought was a friend who turned out to be a real enemy in the recovery process.

There are many reasons why friends get lost along the route to wellness. Some reasons are:

people don’t always understand (or are willing to understand) PTSD and the recovery process
    people like you when you’re miserable (hint: it makes them feel better about themselves)
    people prefer you when you’re weak and powerless (hint: you’re easier to manipulate this way)
    you need them when you’re struggling
    they like the drama your unrest creates

I could go on and on here. The fact is, while much of this is good for them, none of this is good for you!

Recovery means taking a good long look at your friends and deciding: are they friends to your recovery (they support and help you 100%) or are they enemies, sucking your energy, making you feel badly about yourself and making your recovery process more stressed than it needs to be?

It’s very easy to spot the difference between friends and enemies: who do you feel good around? Check in with your intiution, get the answer and then — trust it! You already know who’s good for you and who’s bad, your job now is to act on it.

As tough as it is to let go of old, comfortable and familiar relationships, think of how much better your life will be (and what great new friends you’ll make) when you have overcome PTSD and are free to live the life you’d really choose.

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach

Super Moderator
    How The Meaning You Give Trauma Affects You

A support group member sent this to me and I love it so much I'm sharing it with you today:

To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it. (Confucious)
    Sure, the idea here is easier said than done. But it's so true. Events are impartial. It's the meaning we give them that causes them to affect us.

You have enormous healing potential, the goal is learning to access it. Dig deep. You can do this. I believe in you!

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach

Super Moderator

The Secret(s) To Recovery Success‏

Norman Vincent Peale said,

When people believe in themselves they have the first secret of success.

Actually, the first secret of success, I think, is the hope that you will succeed. Belief comes after that and is an enormously important part of recovery.

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach

Super Moderator

Are you ready to take a leap of faith?

So often in PTSD recovery we don't have guarantees. We don't know who will help us, what treatment modality will provide relief, or when we will reach freedom. In the end, I decided all I had to go on was hope, so that's what I did. This turned out to be a critical decision, especially when it came to choosing a new type of treatment (hypnosis) and a new practitioner (Kate) to help me.

In my PTSD recovery memoir, here's how I describe my leap of faith when I decided to try hypnosis to help alleviate my symptoms:

I want to stop Kate and explain that my mind doesn't know how to relax. It's always running with anxiety, fear, and planning. I stop myself from speaking out by focusing on what made me choose to work with her. I feel comfortable with her. I believe in who Kate is, what she knows, what she's done, and what she thinks we can do. I have nothing else to go on except hope.

This leap of faith - this hope - turned out to be critical: After the accumulation of all the treatments I tried (there were 10 different techniques!), hypnosis was the one that brought me to complete freedom. My hope and belief were the only two things I had to go on.

Where are you placing your hope and belief these days?

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach

Super Moderator
    Are You Sabotaging Yourself Like This?‏

George Claude Lorimer said,

Putting off an easy thing makes it hard. Putting off a hard thing makes it impossible.

What recovery process are you already thinking of putting off this week? Don't make things harder for yourself. Trust that you can manage the task and right now, today, start getting it done.

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach

Super Moderator
    Do You Distrust The Progress You Make In Recovery?‏

So often I hear from survivors who are moving forward in recovery and then are shocked to discover how scary it is to feel good! Well, we all have that in common.

We all have in common, too, our distrust of the progress we've made. In my PTSD recovery memoir I write:

I tread carefully in my new self. I don't trust it. I wait for it to abandon me at any moment. I am suspicious and disbelieving. I don't imagine you can be one person for twenty-five years and become another overnight. But it hasn't been overnight. I've been trying to make this change for a very, very long time.

You've been working hard. When you feel big and little successes, congratulate yourself. Believe in them. You deserve the progress you make.

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach

Super Moderator
    How Your Judgment Fails You‏

Leonardo Da Vinci said,

Experience does not ever err. It is only your judgment that errs in promising itself results which are not caused by your experiments.

This applies so directly to recovery because every action you take to feel better is a little experiment. Sometimes, you have to reassess and revise your expectations even while your goals remain the same.

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach

Super Moderator
    Hello friends,

I have to apologize! This was yesterday's thought of the day, and I did not post it. I had such a hard time with the message! Isn't it funny, how sometimes a thought can provoke such sensitive responses from people? Yesterday's thought, provoked an angering response inside, 'I KNOW my thoughts are messed up, that's exactly what I'm trying to change.' Shifting my judgemental attitude, my self blame game is so hard to do, yet so critical in pulling myself out of a depressive slump. And it takes time.

So here's to cheering you on, in the trenches with you!

With gentleness,

Colourgirl

Super Moderator
    How do you see yourself?

In my trauma recovery memoir I write about how I had changed after my trauma. Technically, the physical scars we not the issue for me; it was the emotional scars that left me so damaged. I noticed the change immediately when I came home from the hospital.

In my PTSD/trauma recovery memoir I write it this way:

I looked like myself overall: fair-skinned, deep brown eyes, rosy lips. Something about the eyes, however, had changed. When I looked into them I didn't see myself, I saw her--the freak, the survivor...

How you see yourself has a huge impact on your recovery. So.... how do you see yourself??

In joy,

Michele Rosenthal
    PTSD Coach