Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Driving 468x60

Thoughts when stuck in traffic

Just wondering what everyone else thinks when they get into traffic and can't immediately get out of it

I live that fear every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Leah11 View Post
    Just wondering what everyone else thinks when they get into traffic and can't immediately get out of it
    Every day I travel to work driving the same route and same routine. But recently we moved our office to a new location... which means a new route and new way of thinking. My new office requires me to sit in several traffic areas which I HATE. My first reaction is "what if".... what if i have a panic attack? What if something happens to me? What if, what if, what if. The sad thing is, I've had Panic for 17 years now and there is NO what if. Nothing has happened to me. I havent died from it... but I still think of the what if. I would love to learn of ways to stop the "what if" thinking...

I just joined today and yes, I have such a fear of situations like being stuck in a traffic jam or on the road where traffic is backed up due to construction or a car wreck ahead...it has made it to where I don't even want to go anywhere for fear that I will be stuck, unable to move or get out!

I never did like the feeling of being trapped in any situation. My driving fears would come and go....the more i drove the less anxious I felt. I still get anxious when I drive...what helps me is staying in the slow lane as I know I can always get off at the next exit if needed.