Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Driving 468x60
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    my mother said to me once, 'I hope you don't let our side of the family down by going mad!'

Super Moderator
    OMG... Gee thanks mom!

Many safe and gentle hugs! (((patience)))

Colourgirl

did my post get deleted?

Super Moderator
    Nope, I see it patience!

Colourgirl

My mom woke up one morning and decided she just didn't know how to live with a child with depression. So she stole my therapist and made my life a living hell because my therapist told her EVERYTHING I said.

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
    That particular time it was said to me by a dear friend who was visiting me in the hospital. I was in there because I was too out of touch with reality to guarantee I would not act on being suicidal. Man, I was pissed. Killing myself couldn't possibly make me stronger, right? I bit my tongue. My conclusion? She was scared, out of her depth in that environment and looking for something "nice" to say, but managed to be as irritating as hell.

About a year later she told me just how terrified she was. The last time she'd been to a psych ward, let alone a locked-down psych ward, she was an inmate. In those days, ECT (electroshock therapy) was more common and the juice used much higher. The goal was to wipe away her postpartum depression. The result wiped away much more. Months later, she went home to a husband and new baby she did not remember. Immediately after that, her psychiatrist died suddenly. Nobody followed up to get her other care and she was too messed up to find someone herself.

She told me she got through it by never looking back, and she didn't, until I was in the hospital for postpartum depression. She didn't know she was really safe until she looked back and faced it, faced it and saw that it had not killed her and she is stronger.

It was not about me.

Super Moderator
    Hello seekingpeace,

I understand what you mean. Sometimes when people say that, at the most inopportune time, it makes me want to rip their tongue out. As if a trite little cliche in response will make us feel better about being in an absolutely horrible situation. I'm glad that you got a chance to talk to your friend and get it resolved. While it is indeed true, it's not always the most sensitive of comments! This phrase irritates me as well at times!

xoxo,

Colourgirl

oh just the thread i need to vent to lol. i have been living with bi-polar with panic disorder all of my life its hereditary (spelling oops) my father and grandmother also have/had it so i have heard just about everything but most recently my son had a panic attack and i attempted to talk to my mother in law (we use to be close) about it and she had the nerve to say oh great not another one. i had to do everything in my power to walk away without flipping out on her. i blew off the normal "its all in your head", "you think to much" "there is nothing wrong with you". i have lost many friends from my disease being that if you can't accept me for me or you say something stupid like my mother in law i'm not wasting my time. does anyone know any tricks to keeping from getting so mad at people for not understanding?

iv had
    "for gods sake cheryl, its only a river wise up"
    "theres nothing physically wrong with you... be grateful"
    "your a nutcase" (this particular one was in an argument with my boyfriend)
    "you're using your illness as an excuse to be a bitch"
    nice eh?

well, this isn't totally related, but when i was telling people about my thyroid cancer, everyone was like you are gonna be fine. Stop worryign about it.