Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Panic 468x60
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Phrases that get under your skin!!!!! From people who mean well or may not mean well

Sarasmilesalot inspired me to start this thread because it's nice to vent about "normies" who don't understand the struggles we go through. And some of these people say things that are so hurtful but it's hard to admonish them because they are so nice, or it's not worth the hassle.

So I will start with the first one... at one point I used my dog as a service dog to help me get out of the house. A person I met at a coffee shop looked at me in surprise. "You don't look disabled..."
    gggggrrrrrrr!!

Oh, and getting hassled at work, when they needed to make accomodations for my dog, and they didn't want to, the Human Resource manager would say weekly: "Are you over your disability yet? Do you still need your dog? Can't you keep him in the car?"
    GRRRR, I say!!

Colourgirl

"Why can't you (drive/ take the bus/ go out/ see our friends)? You did that (yesterday/ a few days ago/ last week)?"

Did you remember to breathe?

Super Moderator
    Ooooh yes, I love those insensitive comments. Here's another one:

"Just stop thinking about it. Don't dwell on the past!"

"I thought that you were better" , "I thought that wasn't a problem for you anymore", "You need to knock it off!", "You need to just stop doing that!"

"You just need to NOT be scared" "You're not crazy. (said in a disbelieving way when talking about my issues - like 'Come on, your just being dramatic')"
    "You're such a hypochondriac" "You're such a drama queen."
    Those last two are so hurtful. I don't want to be in pain or unhappy. Seriously.

@OkamiKunoichi - no kidding! These issues are deeply seeded neurological and psychological problems, not the flu.
    Last edited by Jess; 04-25-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Super Moderator
    My sister on PTSD: " I already read up on that.. so I already know what I need to know."

My sister again: "It seems like you are pretending.. one day you are fine, the next day when we happen to schedule something, you can't go."

Even my loving husband: "I'm tired of being the couple that always cancels, or the couple that can't be relied upon."

My dad turned to me while I was in the middle of a panic attack and was like "What are you afraid of? You did it last week!". It's just not helpful!

well so far i've had,
    "your just using it as an excuese" from my sister
    "you couldn't have had a panic attack, i didn't" from my mom
    "your just not trying hard enough" from my aunt
    and the ever present
    "you know how much harder your father has to work because you wont get a job." from my both my nan's my aunt and my brother.
    i have depression and social anxiety, these comments do not help either of these.

Super Moderator
    OMG Sparkle... your family needs a big spanking.. and I'm not talking happy time spanking. These aren't just irritating phrases, these are really hurtful!! Your mom, your sister, your aunt, your nans, your brother. Get them into a room, and I will have a talk with them!!! Time for you to start standing up for yourself Sparkle. As if you not getting a job was really a choice. Grrrrr... I'm getting angry for you while posting this! I hope you are too!!!

Safe hugs to you, you deserve so much better!

Colourgirl