Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Panic 468x60

Thread: hi everyone

hi everyone

I'm new here. I am having trouble leaving my house. And I'm always on edge. I think talking to people will help take the edge off a little.

Hi saphire, I feel the same so don't you worry. There are people like you out there.

I felt like I was the only one.
    Wait is that a social phobia or agoraphobia?
    What does agora mean anyway?

Agoraphobia are repeated attacks of intense fear and anxiety, and a fear of being in places where escape might be difficult, or where help might not be available. Agoraphobia usually involves fear of crowds, bridges, or of being outside alone. Social anxiety is what I suffer from as well and it's a persistent and irrational fear of situations that may involve scrutiny or judgment by others, such as parties and other social events.
    Saphire, I'm dealing with the same thing. I'm subconsciously finding little illogical reasons to justify not leaving my house. But the panic attacks are still there and what's worse I beat up on myself for not being brave enough to go outside and do something with my life. Right now my life is a series of baby steps, so even if manage to do something as little as go to the grocery store, then I count it as a victory. It's so hard but we have to try very hard to squash the negative internal dialogue.

Now put both of them together as I have and add a few more mental illness and FEAR of outside, falling, house fire, job loss,and anything that GAD covers. I don't fear out side as much as I do in the winter. Social Events; Christmas, Thanksgiving I have been avoiding large family get togethers I avoid. All my family; cousins, aun ts uncles, grandparents know this and have not said anything when I call and say I or my wife is sick and we can't make it. I have found with Agorephobia like you small outings give a sence of acomplishment. At work I drive a forklift and eat lunch at different times than the rest and addaped my work to fit Agoraphobia.I am oon short term disability because I had a nervous/panic attack that had me up against a wall shaking then vomitting and being very agresive. I left work that night strapped and sedated I just foung out yesterday. So take small steps under your control and think we all found this web-site for a reason, and this is it. I read you entry post and we reply with our stories in hope it might give you an idea, just don't tease/laugh/flame anyone. I could not handle that from this web-site that has let mr put my guard down, Thanks E.

eugh reading these replies has just totally confused me as to what i might have... i thought it might have been social phobia? i hate being in situations where i'm around people; like in class, im scared my tummy will rumble and everyone will laugh at me and then a panic attack starts, and i get really worried i might be sick (or other very graphic things) and its a downwards spiral from there. i mean, does anyone else get that?? i feel like its just me i too hate leaving the house without my boyfriend - i just get more and more paranoid that people will see my physical symptoms that i experience during a panic attack and laugh at me

'Steviebeavs' i am the same about being in class..are you at school? and i am really looking for any advicr and getting more and more confused each time i look :\

I had the same problem with leaving my house. I recommend getting cognitive-behavioral therapy treatment.