Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's Your Daily Life Like?

Hi! If you don't mind I would appreciate it if you answered this question. Also, under what c***umstances do you go outside? Thank you very much!

Re: What's Your Daily Life Like?

hi worldofwonder,

welcome to the forum, im a recovering agoraphobic my daily life 12mth ago was just getting up and waiting to go back to bed basically but now its all changed mainly due to exposure therapy with an occupational therapist, i also took an online course learning about personality disorders, it helped me to learn more about m/h illnesses and how they affect us but the main factor was learning about myself, it taught me to understand me, each day over a 6mth period something was registering making me less anxious about the big bad outside, i took small steps each day firstly situated around my safety area then broadened it a bit more, now im in voluntary work which has improved my self-esteem and confidence, i have one more assignment to pass before i gain my certificate, i still have my bad days were anxiety will kick my ass but on those days i have the help of 2mg of diazepam which takes the edge off, i still have bouts of depression luckily im able to cope well with it.

my advice to anyone who wants to recover from agoraphobia is to take very small steps, dont beat yourself up if you have a lapse remember its just a lapse not a set back, learn about yourself and what triggers your anxiety, listen to advice but if you feel it isnt good advice for you dont take it, were all different, we all recover differently, we are human were certainly not crazy.

loves jan xxx

Hiya worldofwonder

Firstly a huge welcome to the forum

You ask what is daily life like well here goes be ready to be bored to tears by my reply

My husband gets up between 7am and 8am every day to walk the dog , i automatically start the panic being left alone with our severally handicapped son , i have been told it is all learned behavior over the years which has increased my panic anxiety etc but when your as lightheaded as i am and can barely walk 3 steps to go do a pee being alone is terrifying so i lie in bed son beside me trying my best to keep calm somedays it works others im on phone screaming to poor hubby hurry back home

I tried three times last week to throw the ball to my dog after only 2 mins i had to lie down i was on verge of collapsing , if anyone comes to the door i hide even from my own kids and granddaughter how insane is that ffs , then comes the tears cos i feel so selfish and usless etc etc

I then am ashamed to say i lie in bed trying force myself back into a sleep as i know in a couple of hours they need go out for groceries etc leaving me petrified beyond belief again images of them crashing the car son choking hubby collapsing me dying alone the list is endless

On what i call a good day i will shower do my hair come downstairs and try simple household tasks but within only a couple of hours im so exhausted again im staggering so badly if anyone saw me theyd think id just drunk 3 bottles whiskey, i say to myself ok ok four years housebound many more you have had this symptoms but it does not help even distraction i have tried does nothing

so then all the negative thoughts i must have a heart complaint or same lung disease that killed my dad or my body is about have a heart attack my list is endless yet again , every waking moment im so anxious its a living hell :?

I know i am the only person who can sort this but i have tried and tried and just cannot do it even the baby steps for me i want to walk like i used to without my heart doing nearly 200bpm and without people staring because im staggering with faintness and terror and the added bonus of ibs adding to more embarrassment ops:

so all in all for me this is not a life but merely an excistance of which i seriously do not think i can take much more of

Sorry for going on and on like some sort of lunatic out of one flew over the cuckoos nest

i could go on and on but will shut my gob now as you have probably fallen asleep reading all my nuttiness ops:

Again a huge to phobics

love dino
    xxxxxx

Hello All.

I guess this thread begs the same question to the originator worldofwonder. So may we know too how your daily life is? Thank you very much.

Much regards,

titorudz

hi titorudz

How very true i just assumed was another person doing research as happens a lot lately on here so my apologies again

And yes we would love to hear what worldofwonder daily life is like

Also hope your well titorudz

love dino
    xxxxx

Hi Dino,

Am doing fine Dino. Still have some low level anxiety, dizzy feelings and a bit nervous but it passes. Just been to a Rotary pre-Halloween party tonite. Was a bit nervous, I don't know why, and somewhat dizzy a bit, but I got by. Had a few tequila.

Hope you're doing fine. Put your worries away. And smile a lot.

Warm regards,

Titorudz

I'm with the others worldofwonder. What is your daily life like...if you ever come back to answer. Thank you.

My daily life a year ago would have been waking up, wishing I hadn't woken up, trying to fill my day with simple tasks and distractions and then going back to bed and trying to sleep for as long as I could again. As well as agoraphobia, I developed a phobia of becoming ill and that made me nervous about eating much incase I got sick. So during the day I wouldn't eat much at all, just snack on fruit and drink water. I lost four stone and basically...made myself ill _
    Since then I have regained half a stone and I'm losing the skeleton look which wasn't a great look really. I have started seeing a therapist and we're doing some cognitive work and recently some EMDR (eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing). I have been doing much better, I still panic about going out but I push through it occasionally and I've managed to go into the town and go to the therapy appointments. Sometimes I can manage to walk to the corner shop
    I just want to say to anyone struggling, it really is possible to get better. I didn't believe it after six years of high anxiety and severe depression, having to quit my job, drop out of college, move out of my house and back to my mums, being disowned by my dad's side of the family. I felt rotten to the core for a very long time but I'm coping okay. I'm not travelling to the moon just yet, but one day I'll manage everyday things, and that seems a kinda great goal to work towards. Everything will be alright.

Hi Hattie,

I have a very hard time leaving the house. Some days I cannot at all. I am going to see my therapist tomorrow and am having panic about leaving the house and driving. I was so happy to read your pst and know that I wasn't alone, it was the first I read. I just joined.

Bella,
    Well done for getting some help, it's the first step - the rest of them will get easier.