Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Panic 468x60

Experience with cannabis

Hi guys,
    Just wondering what your experiences with using cannabis is when dealing with panic and anxiety. I have heard that some people love it and it really helps calm them down, and others it has an opposite reaction.
    I am not a user but my boyfriend is and he reacts ideally to it, calm, focused and chill. That is what I want! But I am hesitant because I know some people say they get paranoid when they smoke.

Anyhow, let me know if you have any light to shed on the subject.
    Thanks,
    Leigh

Re: Experience with cannabis

Hiya Leigh

Long ago when i was out walking i took a massive panic attack the local drug dealer a nice bloke stopped asked me was i ok etc etc then said to me , i would give you some hash but in a person that has high anxiety he said it would only make my problems worse tbh id prob be to afraid to try it , knowing my luck id see pink elephants chasing me down the street :lol:

I also remember a tv programme highlighting the dangers of hash and actually showing how it effected peoples states of mind was not nice after long term use believe me i also talk from experience watching my younger brother destroy himself for years on this drug thankfully he is clean now but what we as a family had to endure i would not wish on my worst enemy

I have however looked it up and found this info hope it helps answer your question

Cannabis and Stress Anxiety
    In recent IDMU surveys, relaxation and stress relief were overwhelmingly the most commonly perceived benefits of cannabis use. However, the Department of Health identifies panic attacks and anxiety as effects of acute cannabis intoxication, particularly among naive users, in justifying the refusal of the UK Government to permit the prescribing of cannabis.
    Recent advances in fundamental cannabinoid research have been interpreted as indicating a common modality of action of cannabis and opiate drugs, in that naloxone (an opiate antagonist) blocks cannabinoid-induced dopamine release in the limbic system (a primitive brain structure associated with control of emotion and mood) [i] and the a cannabinoid antagonist administered to rats, pretreated with a powerful synthetic cannabinoid agonist, can precipitate corticotrophin releasing factor (CRF) which is held to be the mechanism responsible for mediating the psychological aspects of drug withdrawal symptoms, and leading to anxiety-type behaviours [ii] . This was interpreted as demonstrating a cannabis withdrawal syndrome, however the potency of the synthetic cannabinoid used was many times that of THC, and the administration of an antagonist (blocker) would not effectively mimic the gradual decrease in plasma THC which occurs with cessation of normal use. The fact that a potent cannabis blocker caused anxiety symptoms in rats would be consistent with a general diminution of anxiety levels arising from cannabis use.

Laurie [iii] reported that in a few cases 'anxiety, which may approach panic, often associated with a fear of death or an oppressive foreboding is infrequently seen, usually giving way to an increasing sense of calmness... to euphoria'. Grinspoon refers to the initial state as a 'happy anxiety' where the experience is internally redefined as pleasurable. Rosenthal et al [iv] report that panic reactions and anxiety are rare, and most commonly found with overdose (particularly from oral preparations), in našve users, or in those who do not like the effects of marijuana, and attributed the incidence of anxiety reports with Marinol (dronabinol - pure THC) to the lack of CBD within the preparation. Mikuriya [v] considered that 'the power of cannabis to fight depression is perhaps its most important property'. Patients were reported to self-medicate with cannabis rather than use benzodiazepines as the former produced less dulling of mental activity. The authors cited one study where marijuana was found to increase anxiety in našve users, but to decrease anxiety in experienced users, and another of 79 psychotics who used marijuana recreationally and reported less anxiety, depression, insomnia or physical discomfort [vi] , and concluded that natural marijuana - containing CBD and THC - appeared more effective than THC alone in treating depression, and that patients suffering stress as a result of pain or muscle spasms would be most likely to be helped by the drug. They differentiated the use of cannabis to cope with everyday life stresses from the use of benzodiazepines in treating 'severe anxiety disorders' with an organic aetiology.

Bello [vii] in a passionate treatise on the benefits of cannabis for physical and mental health, likened the anxiolytic effect of marijuana to a state of relaxed alertness brought on by 'balancing' the autonomic nervous system.

Explanations of the panic and anxiety experienced by some našve users exposed to cannabis would include 'set and setting' i.e. a drug taken in the course of a laboratory experiment would provide different expectations of an experience to an informal party or gathering of friends, secondly the increase in heart rate can be interpreted by some older users as a heart attack and cause panic attacks [viii] , this 'tachycardia' is normally associated with a reduction in blood pressure, the combined effect is analogous to changing down a gear in a motor vehicle. Some individuals may be more susceptible to the effects of cannabis than others, and those whose initial experience is unpleasant may be more likely to discontinue use of the drug. By contrast, many first-time users fail to notice the influence of the drug.

Thompson & Proctor [ix] , treating withdrawal conditions, noted the synthetic cannabinoid pyrahexyl to produce significant increases in alpha brain waves, indicating increased relaxation, and Adams reported similar results [x] . However Williams et al found no significant increase in alpha activity either with parahexyl or smoked marijuana [xi] .

Davies et al [xii] , in a study of cancer patients, considered the management of stressful patients to have been improved by oral THC. However a study of intravenous THC used as a premedication for oral-facial surgery [xiii] found that patients showed pronounced elevation of anxiety, and considered noxious stimuli to be more painful. Mechoulam [xiv] considered a number of synthetic cannabinoids to be worthy of investigation as potential sedative-relaxants.

In laboratory animals, the cannabinoid receptor has been linked to modulation of emotional behaviour [xv] , reinforcement [xvi] , learning [xvii] and memory [xviii] [xix] Musty [xx] compared the effects of THC, CBD (cannabidiol) and diazepam (valium) on anxiety-related behaviours in mice. THC produced similar reductions in anxiety behaviours to diazepam, however the effect of CBD was more pronounced than either in measures of shock-avoidance, grooming and reduction of delerium tremens in alcohol-withdrawn mice. Both THC and CBD produced dose-related reductions in ulcer formation in stressed mice. However in all tests the CBD dosages used were higher than THC dosages.

Mechoulam reviewed studies of Nabilone (synthetic cannabinoid) on anxiety, finding two studies which suggested a superior effect on anxiety, mood and concomitant depression, whereas two other studies found little or no effect. Benowitz & Jones [xxi] reported initial tachycardia and hypertension in volunteer subjects administered up to 210mg THC per day, but found development of tolerance to tachycardia and CNS effects over the 20 day experiment, with blood pressure reduced and stabilised at around 95/65. Fabre & McLendon [xxii] reported a dramatic improvement in anxiety in the nabilone-treated group compared to placebo. Nakano et al [xxiii] reported anti anxiety effects of nabilone and diazepam in a controlled trial of experimentally-induced stress, but was unable to conclude which was more effective due to differences in dosage and metabolism. Hollister [xxiv] reported these and other nabilone studies [xxv] indicating significant anti-anxiety effects of low doses, and commented on the scarcity of studies of potential anti-anxiety effects of cannabinoids.

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: I am unaware of any controlled scientific studies in published journals which investigate the use of cannabis as a treatment option for post-traumatic stress disorder, although several studies of this condition make reference to cannabis use by patients. In a study of female drug clinic patients with histories of post-traumatic stress disorder following physical or sexual abuse, Gil-Revas et al [xxvi] reported "contrary to expectation, PTSD is not associated with relapse to drug use". Clark et al [xxvii] found PTSD to be a common diagnosis among a group of alcoholic adolescents, who also showed high rates of cannabis and hallucinogen use, considering the relationship to reflect a comorbid disorder. DeFazio et al [xxviii] studied Vietnam veterans, finding a higher incidence of PTSD symptoms among combat, compared to non-combat groups, the relationship to cannabis use is unclear, but may reflect a coping strategy, where the use of marijuana by US troops during combat has been widely-documented, which typically ceased upon return to civilian life.

love dino
    xxxxxx

Re: Experience with cannabis

Wow! Thanks Dino!
    I might have to reread that one, lots of information, I appreciate that!

Def don't smoke it if your prone to anxiety and panic. I know so many people who get anxiety on it and horrible feelings like your sinking into the earth and stuff. I personally know some people who swear they smoke it to take the edge off and maybe they feel like it does for them but from the outside observing them I can always tell when they are or have been smoking it and I reckon it makes them way more moody and difficult. Maybe there is some merit to smoking a little leaf or something but most people are smoking buds that have been grown to be are really full of THC and its just too strong IMHO.

I used to smoke a lot of pot in my early twenties. While it provided a welcome escape from reality for awhile, if I was smoking in a safe environment I realized that it was not an adult or legal way to fully deal with and conquer my problems. Being high in public or in a social setting with an anxiety problem is the worst. I would be high as a kite and still worrying about what people were thinking of me, I just also worried if I was acting high or twitching which just made it all worse. Is it fun with a few very good friends and a Pink Floyd album-hell yes. They are some of my best memories, hazy as those memories are. I wouldn't recommend it as a medication for anxiety though.

I started smoking cannabis about 5 years ago. It is mostly everyday, but there are times when I go weeks and months without it. It used to be totally enjoyable and I would never get anxiety or paranoid at all when I first used it. As the years go by it seems like it is causing more anxiety.

Hear me on this - with my experience, When I am happy and smoke, I get really happy. But when I am sad or have problems and smoke, all those problems present themself even stronger. That is why I don't understand when you hear people say they smoke to escape thier problems; it's the opposite for me.

I enjoy it when I'm not stressed out. Does anyone else have similar experiences?

btw, I hear that more medical users are requesting cannabis with lower THC and higher CBD content for similar reasons.