Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Driving 468x60

travelling distances

I find I can only drive a certain distance, even though i've been there hundreds of times before. Sometimes its fear of getting lost, heights in the area (i'm also afraid of heights) i feel like i won't be able to find my way back. If I have to travel for work I feel bad for not wanting to go and I get embarrassed.

Sonny--

I could totally relate as I read your post! I have the same specific fear when I travels on highways, specifically..Im afraid I willl get lost..Its terrifying! Pl let me know what you can try that might help w/ this..I would be interested to hear...My fear has held me backf rom going places w/ my girls...i ened to beat this!

Thanks Terri

I am afraid of traveling for two reasons- one, Ive been in multiple car accidents, both while driving and while the passenger. I never caused any of the accidents, and I now have a disabling fear of people running into me. And two, the fear of getting lost- my sense of direction is all off. But I am improving. I can now drive locally fairly comfortably, and around 40 miles from home without trouble, as long as I have a passenger to navigate, or a GPS device along with me (Onstar is great, but you have to have a new car that is equipped.). GPS helps a lot, if you can get something with turn by turn navigation, etc. Fairly inexpensive for a basic system anymore, and it just gives me the peace of mind I need to get on down the road. It also helps, for me, to tell my coworkers that I want to travel with someone else, because Im a terrible navigator. They are relatively understandig. When I started driving, I could not drive the 3 miles to work without panicking and having to pull over to hyperventilate or vomit. I am a lot better now, and cant tell you when I last vomited from driving. The hyperventilation is still an occasional problem, but it gets better as time goes by.

Oh my gosh. Yes I am nervous of all sorts of new things. Planes, trains and principally automobiles. I have been unfortunate enough to work for many companies in this difficult economy that have folded – so I needed to start new jobs over and over. And that is very difficult for me. I panic when I am learning to drive in different countries. I generally get to a point where I think I have it down and then for who knows what reason, I am a total blank on all of it. It terrifies me. A while back someone recommended a driving relaxation cd by a driving anxiety pro but I can’t find the title… something like “Enlightened Driving”. Does anyone know the title of this CD?
    Thank you

I have huge problems driving any distance from home I'm always so scared I'm going to get stuck in traffic somehow and even the sight of brake lights makes me start to panic. Having cbt for it but not much luck so far

I new to any thing like this group so its kinda strange, but i have drivers anxiety, i kept it hid from everyone for years by just saying i was to busy to go here or just wasnt up to doing that, but i finally came out of hiding with it to my wife of 21 months, she loves to get in a car and just go no matter where, me any distance from home ( my comfort zone) i freak, the thought of trafic, or breaking down and being stuck just so many things freak me out, i do fine on local trips running errands things like that and as long as its no more than 15ish minutes from my home im fine, but just the thought of distance makes me feel crazy, heart pounding, sweating, feeling of cant breath, light headed its crazy, i used to think i was alone but i have found thru research its more common than i thought, i have a doctors appointment in 3 days but but all ive read how much will that really help since the main cause ive heard is basically just the fear of it happening. I just need to find answers to a normal life again before it cost me my love to travel, free spirit wife whom i love so much. any comments or thoughts from ones who have been thru it would be great thanks

I did that so much in high school. For one, my car wasn't the greatest to go on the highway, but moreover I would always try and hitch rides with my buddies when we went long distances because I didn't feel comfortable being so far out with my car.

Interesting discussion.