Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.

anyone trying exposure therapy

I am slowly doing exposure therapy for the anxiety I suffer from, when having an anxiety attack and wanting soo desperatly to run out of the situation I am fighting it hard, however, I have noticed lately I am more anxious then usual, like small triggers are setting me off, I am trying to put myself out there and out of my comfort zone, is this just part of the process to feel more anxious as your going through it. Its just certain situations thats woudlnt' normally trigger anxiety in me unless I was under stress or something are in my awareness alot more lately. Its hard, but i think this will work. Anyone have success with it.

Re: anyone trying exposure therapy

Yes! I have only recently started counseling, but even just opening my mind up to thinking about the trigger has seemed to make it worse! I am on edge all the time and I feel like my emotions about it are harder to control. Maybe this is normal, and it gets worse before it gets better?

Re: anyone trying exposure therapy

Hi,

I'm new to this sight, just joined today in fact! but have had panic disorder and agrophobia for several years but am determined to beat it, and have always found this to be the case, whenever I decide I'm going to have another go at getting rid of it I find that the anxiety gets much worse, in particular over the last few months I have been reading a lot more on it and trying to come to terms with the idea of starting exposure again and now I'm finding it hard to do things that previously weren't a problem, this has always scared me in the past and halted any efforts I've made, but I'm trying to tell myself that this time it's all for the good, that it's getting worse to 'help' me to finally confront it and hopefully banish it (the eternal hope :wink: ).

Would be good to hear from someone though who has succeeded!!! Please???!!!

Hi,
    Exposure is a part of cognitive behaviorial therapy. Take it slowly and pat yourself on the back for EVERY step forward, even just thinking about trying exposure. I had great success with it along with 1. deep relaxation via my own tape with my own voice 2. focus out 3. reality thinking instead of catastrophic thinking 4. exposure 5. a journal helps.

justme55