Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Panic 468x60

Strange seemingly rare phobia

I have had a phobia as far back as i can remember of labels or tags you get inside clothing, on sheets, covers, the things are everywhere haunting me! Ive trawled the net and only 1 other person on a yahoo answers site even mentions they have this phobia too. No one else has heard of it and family laugh at me about it, to me tho it is a real fear, the touch, feel, look and god forbid seeing anyone else touching them without a care in the world. Taggies blankets for kids NIGHTMARE, id love to throttle whoever designed those things for kids!

Ive nicknamed myself a tag-o-phobe as I dont know what else to call it. Im due to go camping soon and cant even think of what sleeping bag to get as i know ill be confronted with a big label right where I sleep on it to contend with. These rotters wont cut them out for me and theres no way I can do it myself, clothes im fine if they are hidden but the thought still makes me cringe. I asked a therapist about it when I went for GAD therapy and even she dismissed it with what im sure was a tight lipped chuckle. Makes me reluctant to even ask for help for it as if that was a therapists reaction imagine my GP!

Re: Strange seemingly rare phobia

Hiya pitz

Firstly a huge welcome to the forum you will find loads of support both here and in the chat room

Secondly i myself have never heard of your phobia but there are stranger ones im sure, perhaps a good idea would be to get a family member to always cut any tags or labels off of anything that would distress you

As for your therapist dismissing it can you report her i know i would as imo any phobia be it in a medical book or not is very very real to the person who's life it is disrupting

Wish i could be of more help here but not sure what else to say

love dino
    xxxx

Re: Strange seemingly rare phobia

Hi there. I have heard of autistic kids having sensitivites to tags on their clothing. I also have some weird phobias to things like playgrounds ie swings, music noises and such. I have a theory about you and I. I was thinking that kids tend to be more hypersensitive to things that maybe for me the sound of the swings bothered me and for you the feel of a tag bothered you as a kid and over time this got a negative association surrounding it, so bascially we have formed a stigma to it so now its not just the feel of a tag but the whole thoguht about one that is a trigger for you. Like for me it use to just be the noise of a swing but my mind remembers how it makes me feel so now its even the sight of a swing that can trigger anxiety in me. just a though

I have the exact same thing. My oldest son left a tag on a counter today and I started gagging

That is awesome I have the exact same phobia and I mean exact! Other people tucking them into other people's clothes makes me want to heave. People seem oblivious yet to me they look disgusting dirty and nothing makes me want to drop to my knees in disgust quicker than seeing some rotund "lady" with her under wear tag flying. proudly like a flag above hers pants I can barely breathe the air and have to get out of there quick smart.

Thankfully I have conditioned my family to remove on site and wash hands from all clothing however that's my only phobia

Quote Originally Posted by keatid View Post
    That is awesome I have the exact same phobia and I mean exact! Other people tucking them into other people's clothes makes me want to heave.
    I am so sxcited to find this forum and this thread. I have suffered from tag phobia as long as I can remember! This is exactly how I feel too!!! Disgusted by them that I almost gag. I also feel an immense about of amount of embarrassment for the person that has a tag visible, which makes me feel that maybe this phobia came from people calling each other 'tag dags' if their tag was showing - maybe it stemmed from embarrassment? If somehow a tag has stayed on an item of my clothing and someone tucks my tag away I feel SO SICK about it, if I had a weaker stomach I swear of vomit.

I'm so excited to find out I'm not alone! I google every thing but never even thought there was a point, I thought I was alone!!!!

Ha makes me laugh that its not as rare as I thought. I completely understand, feel embarrassed for the people too (this sounds awful) but its almost like they are a bit of a loser and how could you go out looking like that. These darn things just freak me out and boy do they look dirty. I can never fathom why others aren't as disturbed by this as me because they are gross.

Two funny things happened the other day;

1 - Rushing through shops and two "ladies" not the best example of feminine beauty walking together both had these hideous under wear flags hanging out and no shame or embarrassment either, me i couldn't breathe.

2 - Watching a doco and this drunk is getting a tattoo on his butt the "female" tattooist says drop your pants and this guy exposes his zitty butt with a huge tag yuk again no shame, I almost had to buy a new TV set.

OK. I must say, although its not tidy by any stretch I know these people are not any more or less than I am, I sound quite harsh but I realise its my phobia that's the problem.

I am not willing to change though.

don't be afraid or upset. im the same way. they annoy the crap out of me just seeing them on someone else. I have to take the whole tag off my clothes not just rip them off. it takes me about 15 minutes to get a shirt ready to wear