Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.

Meds while pregnant?

Hey every1 out there!
    Ive been on seroxat for 7 years for panic attacks/agoraphobia/anxiety. It has really made me stable and Im able to do almost everything now except travel! So needless to say Im pleased with the results
    My problem is Im getting married next summer and my fiance and I both want children. Has anyone here been on this type of medication while pregnant or is it a big no-no? I don't think I could manage without my meds but I really want children. Any advice would be really appreciated - my doctor doesn't seem to know so much about my condition.

Thanks so much,
    Love, Homesick
    xxx

Re: Meds while pregnant?

It would be hard getting pregnant on those, especially with the withdrawal symptoms + the fact that you're not supposed to take them while pregnant. You should really ask your psychologist/doctor/physician(whoever you see) about it, he/she will probably be able to give you much more help than we can. Good luck!

Thanks! Was just wondering if anyone else had been through something similar. My doctor is not very helpful I think I will have to find a new one. Any support helps!
    Thanks!

Hiya homesick

I looked into this and the results were not very good here is just one of many similar links i found regarding taking seroxat, paraxetine paxil all the same drug http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/ar ... gnant.html

I hope this does not scare you but imo people really need to know exactly what this drug can do i also know like any other drug there will also be good points and bad regarding how they work etc etc

Meantime if i were you i would ask to talk to another gp that is a bit more supportive

Good luck with everything

love dino
    xxxxx

Hi Homesick,
    I was on meds when i found out i was pregnant with my 3rd child (anti-depressants sertraline) i was about 6 weeks pregnant and came off them myself for fear of damage to the baby. I was fine without the meds but could not leave my house at all so i gave birth at home. I was more scared of going to hospital than having it at home. After the birth my agoraphobia became 10 times worse and i had to go straight back on them with a much higher dose,i got severe PND and it took me months until i felt a little better in my head. I dont know if i would have been better on the meds through my pregnancy but i didn't want to take that risk. If you are thinking of getting pregnant speak to your gp and try to get help with your problems before a baby comes along because they bring a lot of stress and anxiety with them. It can make you worse if you already have underlying mental health problems. I would wait until you get married and see how you cope with the stress of that ,if you are getting better then think about children.
    Good luck with the wedding plans

hi there. I stayed on celexa while I was pregnant, I needed to my anxiety symptoms increased greatly while pregnant and my doctor saif you basically way the pros and cons, like having anxiety attacks all day long isn't healthy for the baby either. I contacted the pharmasist to and was told that celexa is one of the safest ones. My daughter is 2 now. I plan on being on them again for my next. This is a controversly subject for some but I need them just like an asthmatic needs a puffer. You do what you gotta do and try to be on the safest one you can find.