Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Driving 468x60

Patterns, Patterns Everywhere...

I really need some help with this. I've had every kind of treatment possible, aside from exposure therapy, which I will NEVER try!!!!

Basically, ever since I developed this phobia, I've seen patterns everywhere that relate to my phobia. Specifically, I got the bug that gave me the phobia in 1997 and ever since then, I've been terrified of everything, EVERYTHING from that year. I can't touch, watch or listen to anything from that year and the one thing that's really stressing me out at the moment is that there is SO much of this year that reminds me of that year. In 1997, we had a comet go over and this year we've had one go over. In that year, Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio were in their last movie together (and released their first since then this year). I've seen things advertised that I've not seen since that year, and the list just keeps going on and on.

I have this massive fear that the year is repeating itself, and that no matter what I do or how hard I try, it means I'm a LOT more likely to get something that will make me sick because of it. And it SUCKS because so far this year, so many great things have happened and I don't want it all to be tainted. 1999 was a great year for me and I wanted to try to repeat THAT year, not the one that ruined a LOT of my life up til now.

Does anyone know what I mean? Does any of this make sense to anyone?

Re: Patterns, Patterns Everywhere...

Hiya Vikki

I know what you mean, Just off to bed though no stopping up till 4-5am in chat like we used to for me now lol,

Will get back to you asap though, But please do not worry.

Paul.

Hiya Vikki27

Although i do not suffer from Emetophobia myself a few here do you will find loads of support both on here and in the chat room

love dino
    xxxxxx

Hi, Vikki

Welcome to our Phobics family.

I'm not an emetophobe really, but I can relate to your "thing" with the Year, etc. I'm so glad you found (at least!) one year, 1999, that you can identify with as Being Happy. Have you tried working at this the other way round, say, by writing down a list of all the things going on so far this year that could remind you of 1999 instead?

Also, is there any way you can see that you could "steer" your life towards matching that happier year, 1999? After all, it's what happens to you that really matters, isn't it? (With all due respect to Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio! LOL)

You say that you've tried different treatments before -- does that include CBT? If so, how did you get on with that, or what made you feel that it wasn't working? Be interested to know.

Anyway, take care.

Love

Gord
    xxxxx
    [b][color=#008000]JADE[/color] -- [color=#0000FF]The Mental Health Website & Chat Room for Under-16s[/color][/b]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.