Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
    I've been an excessive skin picker for 6 years and it's embarrasing and leaving scars, plus risking skin infections from it. I'm also agoraphobic with panic attacks so I was just wanting to find out some information. I'm currently on Prosac and have been on impramine and Paxil. I'd really like to talk to another skin picker so I can better understand and not feel alone.

Hiya Frosty

Firstly a huge welcome to the forum

Secondly i can relate to your agoraphobia and panic but not the skin picking i did however find some information regarding this below i hope it is of some help to you

http://www.web4health.info/en/answers/soma...excoriation.htm

love dino
    xxxxx

welcome frosty,

i don't pick(much) but i scratch when my anxiety gets bad. i am not even aware that i am doing it till someone points it out to me. i have been known to scratch my arms till they bleed. i am also agoraphobic and panic disorder. i have found that if i try to be aware of it, i can at least make myself just rub instead of scratching. still hard on the skin, but doesn't make me bleed. do you have a T? if so maybe they can help you find a way to stop hurting yourself.

lost
    [b][color=#BF40BF][size=7]love yourself first, others will follow[/size][/color][/b]

frosty

I am a skin picker and have been since I was a young child. There is even a photograph of me at around age 4, picking at my knee. My mum says that I was an extremely nervous child and was always picking at my skin. It definitely has something to do with stress because the more stressed and anxious I am, the more I tend to pick. This is the first time I have mentioned it because its sort of embarrassing really. I tend to pick at areas which I know will not be seen by anyone. There have been times that I have had to wear gloves in bed because I even pick in my sleep and then I wake up with blood on the sheets.

Up until my teenage years, I picked at my scalp continuously until my scalp was infected. My mum worked in a doctor's surgery and used to bring samples of antibiotic powder (looked like talc) home. I would use that all the time to try and heal up the huge weals in my scalp. For some reason, I stopped picking at my scalp but I unfortunately moved onto other areas.

About ten years ago, and this was well before I had a breakdown, I was seeing a psychologist for stress and anxiety and I mentioned to him about the picking and asked if this was related to my stress and anxiety, and if it was, was there anything he could recommend to me to stop it. The guy just shrugged his shoulders and laughed at me. I am not kidding, I was so embarrassed. There is no way in hell that I would mention it to a professional again.

My 'picking' is on hold at the moment. I can honestly say that it has been about a year or so since I last 'picked' and then it just seemed to be at night that I was doing it. My stress levels are not as bad as they have been, so that is probably been the reason.

Margo x

((((((((((margo))))))))))

i am sorry your psychologist reacted that way to you. it was unprofessional and wrong. however, my p-doc is the one who linked my scratching to my anxiety, and helped me learn to rub instead of scratch. and my T is trying desperately to get me to the point of not rubbing, she has me shred tissues during session, i am trying to find something a little more satisfying, not to mention cheaper(tissues are expensive) to replace the behavior with. jme

lost
    [b][color=#BF40BF][size=7]love yourself first, others will follow[/size][/color][/b]

Thanks for the information everybody:-) I had stopped for a year but it came back I talked to my psychiatrist and he wasen't very concerned at all he just moved back to agoraphobia. Thanks really though for everything, ecspecially the glove at night thing I wake up to a pile of sking greeting me, I think the gloves will be a big help. Appreciate it:-)
    Frosty

Re: obsessive skin picking

Hello Margo, This psychologist should have his license revoked for laughing at you. This is not only unprofessional, it is unethical. You go there for counseling telling him your personal business. It is his job to listen to you with compassion and discuss tools for your recovery. I used to cut myself when I was 18, 19 and 20, with knifes and rasor blades in my arms. I did it to feel my identity. I recommend the books by Esther Hicks and Thich Nhat Hanh. Take care. Nicola