Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Panic 468x60
    ok so ive been talking to some people who seem interested in how pohobias, not just mine affect peoples everyday life, and so i thought i would just write down some of the ways it affects mine....so you are either gonna have a better understanding of the mind of an emet or else u are gonna think im a total lunatic....well most of you think that anyway so....... :P

ok so it starts with waking up, in the night to every noise one of the babies make, just in case they are ill.....quite normal for some parents tho so thats not too bad....

i have to sleep a certain way in the bed , more of an ocd thing i think but its become a ritual that im too scared to change....

i dont eat breakfast.....im normally at most anx in the morning for some reason so cant eat anything.....when i get anx i feel sick....when i feel sick i get anx....so not a good thing, hard to break out of.....

then theres the school run.....so on the way to school its things like not touching anything such as the pedestrian crossing buttons, or if i have to then i will disinfect my hands...see lunatic....i have to pass a doctors so i go on the other side of the road......if i walk past a group of people, if im having a bad day i will hold my breath so as not to catch anything....but thats just a bad day, not all the time....

at the school, if one of the kids friends arent there i get panicked that they have a sv, and i feel anx but also a weird need to find out all the details.....i take the kids into class if it is hot i make them take their jumpers off.....overheating could lead to being ill...well in my warped mind anyway.....

food is another major thing....i hate the kids going to parties because of the food, i feel v anxious when they are at parties but i have to let them go because i dont want any of my weird crap to rub off on them.....i know some of it already has but i would hate for them to grow up with the same fears as me...it sucks.....

i dont eat a lot of meat, dairy or shellfish, coz of the risks of food poisining...i ate prawns the other day and it was like i had made some major acheivement lol.....ridiculous but true.... i have stopped cooking chicken...i used to buy it and get so paranoid i would end up throwing it away, so now ive just stopped.....

i hardly ever eat out and try and stick to places i know, and always have the same thing..like the chinese has about 200 dishes and i only ever have the same 3 things.....and i dont realy finish them either, or if it looks in any way "weird" to me i dont eat it...i end up wasting so much money on food.....

i cook everything to smithereens, hubby hates it lol, but to me if its overcooked its safer to eat.....

i had 2 bbqs this year and spent the next 2 days after them worrying that i had somehow poisoned myself.....

i work in a bar, so u can imagine sometimes i do have to see "it", but normally if i know the person is drunk, i wont be so panicked as i know there is no chance of me catching it.....
    but i never clean it up, go near it, or go near the person....
    if someone at work is ill i wont go to work....
    if i know they have come back after being ill i will avoid them and avoid touching anything they might have touched...hard in a bar so this is where the constant hand washing comes back....so i carry hand wash stuff around with me..

amazingly not that many people know about my phobia im q good at keeping it all hidden, the anxiety and panic attacks are harder to hide esp at work, i normally go somewhere away from everyone, to try and calm myself down...try not to make a fuss or get attention, would make it worse....

i find excuses not to gop places when my anx is bad..it kind of goes in weeks of good and bad depending on whats happened.....some days i dont eat anything if i get the idea that im gonna be ill into my head....

last time my hubby was ill, i sent him out of the house for three days, in my head there was no way i could let him stay in the house, i jusy panicked and practically threw him out.....the people he stayed with (close friends) now think im a dragon, lol, but i didnt know what else to do....but they didnt seem to care that hubby was ill....something i cant really get my head around, coz to me its the worst thing that can ever happen to someone...

hmm ok this is really long now, and youve probably all fallen asleep.....i do apologise.....so now you know what a nut job you are talking to when u see me in chat lol, i do have good days where i can be a bit normal but some days are horrible.....but i get through them and coming here helps loads...i was alot worse before i came here and realised it was an actual phobia ....

so sorry for boring you but hopefully u now understand emet a bit more....or maybe not i dunno, anyway i feel better for having written it

lots of love natalie xxxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Natalie, you are not a nut job, so don't think that. Just look at this way, everyone has their idiosynchracies, it's just that some of us have more of them than others LOL.

I liked your post Natalie, very insightful. It's interesting and helpful to hear how other people are affected by their phobias/fears.

Emetophobia is not top of my list of fears but it is still there but thankfully, in a smaller way. I do fear getting ill and like you, I carry hand gel around with me. I also do not eat shellfish for the same reasons as you. My daughter's nurses uniform also goes straight into the wash when she comes home from work. Strangely, for all my worries, and the fact the Cameron goes to primary school, we have been a healthy bunch as far as 'illnesses' have been concerned. I do understand your fears though and how they can disrupt your day to day life.

Margo x

Re: my day to day with emet

Natalie, I have emetophobia too and I can relate to EVERYTHING you said. In fact, my emetophobia is so extreme that I had an abortion years ago just because I couldn't handle the morning sickness. How do you explain that to anyone who doesn't have emetophobia? What I find so difficult about this particular phobia is that nobody understands how debilitating it is. If one more person says, "Oh I don't like vomiting either" I'm going to hurt them! :evil: :lol:

hey s sorry to hear about what u went through, im amazedi managed to carry my kids, its the only time ive been like that about my emet, but hey i have good days and bad days but coming here helps a lot if u ever wanna chat feel free xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Natc, I can empathise with you so much. I've had this phobia all my life and I'm 67 now. I don't think many people know I have it either. If people know it would make it more difficult to deal with. I see you live in London and I do too. You are not on your own. Fortunately it doesn't bother me on a regular basis. I do manage to put it at the back of my mind. I look after two of my grandchildren after school once a week and would never want them any week if they are not feeling well. I cook a meal for them and watch to see how they eat. If they don't seem to be very enthusiastic for it I quietly worry whether they are not feeling well. I also suffer from claustrophobia aswell and must admit that is an even bigger problem for me. xx