Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
    Hello All,

I am new to this site, but delighted to find it and know there are similar people out there.

My story probably aligns with many of your own. My driving phobia entered my world about 14 years ago. I was returning from the shops, in a 70 klm zone, when some hoon, obviously frustrated by me (unknowingly) being under the speed limit, honked, overtook me (at the same time showing me how well his middle finger was manicured!!) and hence the panic began.

Over the next few days my driving deteriorated until within a week, I wasn't able to get myself down my own street (in a quiet little suburb) and cope with the panic that came with it. I needed someone to drive me to a doctor who referred me to a psychiatrist.

Every visit to her was a positive. Within a month or so, I was able to drive down my street, and around the block, even though NEVER over 30 klm per hour. I kerb crawled!! (Surprisingly, never pulled over for being on the look-out for a hooker!!!). In 13 years, I still haven't been able to change lanes (I cling desperately to the kerb side).

Little by little there were improvements and afte5r 2-3 years (yes, long time hey!), I was able to take my car to work (about 5 klms from home), to get to the shops. I even managed on some streets to achieve driving speeds over 40 klm, when in a really comfortable zone (back streets) got to 50 klm and even more. Some of my drives were completely panic free (Sigh, Sigh, SIGH).

In an OCD kind of way, I continually check the rear view mirror. If there is anyone on my tail, I pull over and let them pass. I freeze when another car is behind me. It makes me slow down.

I am now DETERMINED to put this stuff behind me and work my way through my fears. I am now recognising that the only way I can do this is to "feel the pain". It's time to switch from the "flight" and move to the "fight".

Does anyone out there feel like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrice
    Hello All,

I am new to this site, but delighted to find it and know there are similar people out there.*

My story probably aligns with many of your own.* My driving phobia entered my world about 14 years ago.* I was returning from the shops, in a 70 klm zone, when some hoon, obviously frustrated by me (unknowingly) being under the speed limit, honked, overtook me (at the same time showing me how well his middle finger was manicured!!) and hence the panic began.*

Over the next few days my driving deteriorated until within a week, I wasn't able to get myself down my own street* (in a quiet little suburb) and cope with the panic that came with it.* I needed someone to drive me to a doctor who referred me to a psychiatrist.*

Every visit to her was a positive.* Within a month or so, I was able to drive down my street, and around the block, even though NEVER over 30 klm per hour.* I kerb crawled!! (Surprisingly, never pulled over for being on the look-out for a hooker!!!).* In 13 years, I still haven't been able to change lanes (I cling desperately to the kerb side).*

Little by little there were improvements and afte5r 2-3 years (yes, long time hey!), I was able to take my car to work (about 5 klms from home),* to get to the shops.* I even managed on some streets to achieve driving speeds over 40 klm, when in a really comfortable zone (back streets) got to 50 klm and even more.* Some of my drives were completely panic free (Sigh, Sigh, SIGH).*

In an OCD kind of way, I continually check the rear view mirror.* If there is anyone on my tail, I pull over and let them pass.* I freeze when another car is behind me.* It makes me slow down.*

I am now DETERMINED to put this stuff behind me and work my way through my fears.* I am now recognising that the only way I can do this is to "feel the pain".* It's time to switch from the "flight" and move to the "fight".*

Does anyone out there feel like this?

I know exactly how you feel. I have been driving for 13 years as well. I have been scared to drive for most of those years, yet I force myself to do it so I am not stuck in the house with no money. It is great to know that there are other people who have the same problem I do.

My husband gets tired of hearing me whine about it. I think he thinks I am crazy. My fears went (almost) away for awhile, but now they are back. I have to drive 35 miles each way to work and every day I feel like I might not be able to keep driving for even another minute. I do not want to give up my job and everything I have worked so hard for.

Most of the time I am alright driving, the things that really scare me are people walking close to the road, motorcycles and bicycles, road construction. Even though I know I am several feet away from them they still scare me so bad. My greatest fear is that I will hit something and not know it. Everyone I talk to tells me this is totally ridiculous, but it is hard to get over a fear no matter what anyone tells you.

There's a few good resources for this I've found:

www.drivingfear.com (really good program and blog)

www.fearofdrivingfreedom.com (course by psychologist who specializes in driving anxiety)

www.fearofdrivingforum.com (obvious!)

I`ve stopped driving. I`ve had a lot of close calls....none of them my fault. The one that made the difference, was the one, in which my best mate and two other friends died, crushed todeath by an articulated truck. I should have been in that car.....but by a twist of fate, I did`nt make that journey. That`s the short version of the event...which has had a marked effect on my life.....the full version is very strange indeed and hard to explain.

However, soon after that incident, I began to experience severe stomach pains, which always came out of the blue, but later realised that they co-incided with any journey I had to make by car....no matter how long or short.

It turns out, that I have developed a fear of driving associated not only with that event, but also other traumatic incidents, involving car accidents, (my job involved dealing with the results of traffic accidents, at the scene), so I guess all that trauma added up thru the years. I have only one friend that I can trust as a driver....others cause me to be car sick, because they drive that badly or without consideration,....that I almost jumped from their speeding vehicle once. I cycle everywhere now, or take the bus (because it`s slow moving). Cars scare the crap ot of me. :blink: :unsure: