Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Driving 468x60
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Me too!..AND...A proposed name for this phobia

Hello, I am a 38 year old man and I too have this phobia about large pipes, large water tanks, water treatment plants, drainage spillways and other pipes and tanks like those at an oil refinery...Yikes!
    I remember being a child and seeing sewage treatment plants and oil refineries through the car window and they absolutely horrified me. I often think about what it would be like to be stuck inside a water tower's tank or in one of the huge pipes or drains, for me it's about the fear of being stuck inside, in the dark with all that loud roaring water (weird, I also LOVE Swimming, the ocean and pools..but NOT really big pools) Being near the drain at the bottom of an Olympic sized pool is also quite terrifying. Usually public restrooms are OK, as are toilets, being the man of the house I have fixed my fair share of toilets...it's the larger pipes and tanks that get me. I did go to a restaurant lately that, inside the mensroom (a single toilet and sink) the entire building's fire main pipe was right above the toilet, a bright red pipe no less than two FEET in diameter with a huge dial showing the PRESSURE of the water inside! AND it was making a noise I cannot describe right now (My ears started ringing just typing that sentence) I tried to use that toilet, thank god I just had to urinate.. I could not fathom turning my back on that monstrocity. I seriously almost passed out in that bathroom, AND I had been drinking..usually that makes this fear subside a bit but THIS situation was just too scary. I made up an excuse to go to my car and urinated outside.

Today was the first time I thought to google this fear and I'm quite relieved to find others who are like me in some way.

,ITF

PART TWO:

For the name of this phobia and it's "family" of fears, I propose the term HYDRAULIPHOBIA. Hydraulia / hydraulics is the general technical term for interconnected systems of pipes (containing liquids). If you google the term "hydraulic", you will find that this word, historically to public water systems.*

I know this isn't 100% correct in its representation of everybody's fears regarding plumbing / pipes / tanks etc, (but many phobia names are just general descriptions)

(I intended to include some google search results here, but this system won't let me post Internet links until I have 10 posts :| )
    Last edited by Beard1975; 10-10-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: I have OCD and keep finding formatting errors.

Hi Guys,
    My family and friends think I'm completely insane because I've had a fear of plumbing for basically my whole life... Reading everyone's posts made my heart rate go up! I almost have a panic attack just explaining my phobia to someone. Geysers (water heating tanks) are my biggest fear, basically any type of plumbing, smallish pools I can handle, if a toilet makes a noise I'm outa there! I can't even look at something and I feel a panic attack coming on.

If I'm in the bath and I think too much about the plumbing I have to get out! Any noises and I freak out... I am going on holiday soon with my parents and the resorts' geysers are in the bathrooms! I'm already panicking about that and its 2 months away! I also had a friend at school who was afraid of plumbing but knew of no one else. I tried googling for years and found nothing until I came across this site! I wish we could find a cure!

Welcome Tracy. I'm glad you found us.
    It was..for ME at least, a huge relief just knowing that I'm NOT the only one..and that I'm not a TOTAL freak of nature.

- Beard

I too have this phobia. I can control it some what now but sometimes it can't be helped. Submarines and engine rooms on ships also completely freak me out! I have a full blown panic attack! Just looking at pictures of large sewer pipes or huge propellers..... I can't stand it! I have a fear of furnaces too... ugh.. I'm a mess So pretty much anything that's in a basement. Glad to see I have something in common with others. My husband thinks I'm so strange!

I wonder if this stems from watching Freddy Kreuger movies as a child...lol!

I've just signed up on this website just so I can comment on this. I've never met anyone with the same phobia as me until now and feel I need to speak to others about it. I have such a fear of plumbing and pipes it's starting to ruin my life. I can't go to a public toilet alone and if I'm in a shower abroad or in someone else's house I literally shower as quickly as possible just so it will be over. It's been said before but I also hate black toilet seats, toilets with the system high up on the wall and also toilets that automatically flush. I panic so much around pipes, and the more I think about it while I'm in the shower or bath the worse it gets. I'm 17 and have had this for as long as I can remember but it's getting to the point where I can't ask my mum or friends to always come with me. If I'm at the cinema and need to go I'll literally wait until another women stands up before I can go to the toilet I'm that scared of being alone. If there are strangers with me that's fine I just can't be there alone. I'm even having second thoughts about uni next year because I've seen at open days all these pipes in what would be my ensuite and I'm not sure I can do it. I think I might go to the doctors and get help because it's only getting worse. The thought of being exposed to pipes literally puts me in tears, even talking about it to my friends makes me burst out crying. Anyone else the exact same? It's such a horrible phobia to have

Omfg, I'm so glad I found you guys
    I thought I was the only one...and as many of you said, we don't even remember when this shit started to fear us.

As some have already said, im also glad ive found this forum. I really thought i was the only one with the phobia. I thought I was a freak. so. let me try to explain what my phobia is about. firstly, I love water, i love swimming. I do not have an issue with bathing (to an extent, ill explain later) the problem i have is what i call "black water". Water tanks, cisterns, enclosed dark water, the sound of water running, making a sound in the dark. I cant stand to be in the same room. I will not go into a loft if there's a water tank in there. it freaks me out totally. as for baths, I have to have bubbles! i cant stand clear water in a bath. when i go to the toilet i have to look at the bottom of the pan, just in case the water level starts to rise..... this is something ive had to live with for over 30 years. using public toilets what a huge issue for a long time, now, im "ok" using them to an extent. I used to have nightmares of a room filled with toilets, the sound of running water into the cisterns, no lid on the toilets. Im somewhat embarrassed to say when i was younger i used to wet the bed because i was so petrified of going to the toilet. I used to slam down the lid of the toilet and run out the bathroom after flushing too. this to me, is such an obscure phobia. There's no logical explanation for it. can anyone else relate to this?

Oh my god , this literally just made me feel so much better about myself . I have the biggest fear of stickin my hand in water i cant see through , dirty dish water , clogged bath tub water , i have a fear of lakes , ponds , puddles , rivers as well but i love to go swimming as long as im not alone and someone is no more than arms length away from me . I remember growing up and haveing to do the dishes and my mom always told me to fill one side rinse w the other , after a few dishes and i could no longer see 100% through the water i would ask my mom or my "father" to drain it so i could finish and i continued to do that till they were all done , well , one day my "father refused to drain it and i remember crying my eyes out cuz he told me i was being a baby and told me if i didnt finish those dishes i wasnt eatin dinner ther nxt day (i was about 13 and at the time thought my mothers cookin was the bees knees , and plus is was taco night) , then i remember him storming into the kitchen taking my hand and forcing it in the water , not makin me grab the plug or drain the sick , just holding it there as i screamed ablnd fought to get my hand free for a good half hour (it didnt take care of my "phobia" . I also have a phobia of toilets , mainly the tank and anythin below the seat so i squat , i make sure i look all around the toilet for anythin out of ordinary and also look in the toilet (not the tank i try to avoid that as much as possible) for anythin that might b "left behind" i think its more so what could b in it and whats down there than the toilet itself . I really thought i was the only one cuz i cant find any info on this "phobia"

I am so glad I found this.

I live in San Francisco and my husband works in downtown. I have a huge fear of exposed pipes in garages. I literally cannot go into his building's garage or if I am not familiar with that garage as in I have to know for sure there isn't any exposed pipes, I will refuse to even park there and just park farther. There has been times where he didn't warn me about exposed pipes in a different building garage and I freaked out. Had to close my eyes and let him guide me to the car and didn't open my eyes till we got out of the garage. It makes me shiver just thinking about it. Sometimes garages have multiple underground floors, usually the first floor has the most exposed pipes. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this fear, I used to think I was crazy because none of my friends experience this.