Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Driving 468x60
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    hi can anyone help me i have a fear at my moms i feel silly even writing this its at my moms we was sitting there and kept hearing moms pipes banging sounded like when a cat jumps off the bed its been nearlly a year and i stress out when i hear it and when i dont beause im waiting for it to start i feel so silly keep saying i want to go home early and dont want to be at her house please help

Hi Jenny,

Do you know when it began at all? Do you recall a specific trigger?

Hi it started when my dad was in hospital then it stopped then it started again and it did't bother me then last year it started again and it really worried me when i hear it i have to go out the room i start sweating really bad . i go to moms 6 days a week and its really stressing me out im even dreaming of it in my dreams i feel like im going mad

Hi Jenny.

When it started again did your dad become ill again? Just a thought about trigger

i used to have dreams of just standing and staring at a swimming pool when no one else is around. Sometimes I can get used to a pool and go swimming but drains and the things that shoot water into the pool terrify me. My worst nightmare would be sitting in a jacuzzi or whirlpool tub. I would be extremely uncomfortable using the tub with no jets on, I think I would have a nervous breakdown if I was forced to sit there with the jets going all around me. My daughter is now 31 and I found out a couple of years ago that she is also scared of plumbing, she didnt know I was too. Hers is a little different than mine, but still a fear of plumbing. The older I get the dumber I feel trying to explain my problem to people, but phobias are irrational.

Oh my gosh, what a trip. I can't believe others have this EXACT phobia too. I wonder what it means. I've been afraid of dark water, pipes, dams and drains for ever. What scares me the most is water towers, dams and big stuff under water like a pier legs or BOUYS. Omg those scare the crap out of me. Pool drains have always terrified me and even those pool cleaners that move around scare me. My friends never understood my phobia (I didn't either) and thought it was so weird. Lol. Black toilets have scared me and also automatic flushers. So crazy to see that other people are afraid of basically all the same things in this phobia. I absolutely can not look into a toilet tank. When water pressure in the shower is all wonky it scares me so bad I have to jump out. The sound of loud water in the dark might actually make me literally pass out. I even remember sometimes as a kid at water parks being inside a tube one, I'd get so uneasy and would think to myself why am I so scared? And now I'm finally putting all of these pieces together to form this bigger phobia with all these little parts! Crazy! If anyone has a clue to what this phobia means or stems from, please share!

I first posted here in 2011 and I'm just reading through the amazing responses and recollections from everyone.

This is a crazy phobia that is seemingly rare. I still cannot - 5-years later - find an actual medical term for this specific phobia.

To sum this up these fears for future readers:

- water in confined spaces, such as toilet tanks, gravity fed urinal flushing systems; ground water, wells, reservoirs, ponds, rivers, dams or water towers
    - clear, dark, or muddy; can or cannot see the bottom beneath the water
    - water pipes, usually (but not always) open-ended or exposed
    - drains, such as sinks, bathtubs, toilets, sewers and storm drains
    - strange, unknown, or old toilets; loud-flushing, rushing water or with toilet tank lid removed/missing
    - backed up drains and overflowing toilets
    - pool filtering systems and drains, whirlpools

The phobia relating to the above includes coming from a dark or confined space by gravity feed or pumped, underground drainage or supply; relating somehow to the fear to being trapped, sucked in, or coming into contact with the water from the source of fear or some sort of "bogeyman" or monster, without having a fear of water itself or swimming or bathing/showering in general (although some also report these fears).

Someone mentioned "hydraliphobia" as a term. While I don't necessarily disagree, there is the fear of depth called "bathophobia". It is sometimes used to describe the depth of water, rivers, or bodies or water in general. This may be the closest we will come to having a name for it at this time.

relief

im so glad i found this website, im horrified of pipes and my family makes fun of me because of it. they say im being ridiculous and its doesnt make me feel confident about myself.😓 when i was younger my family went to a pizza place and i had to use the bathroom REALLY bad my mom had to go too so we both went. as i walked in i told my mom about my fear of pipes for the first time. as i was talking i finished using the bathroom and as i unlocked the stall door i looked up for no reason. on the ceiling was a huge hole with... a pipe running through it😳 i burst into tears and ran out

Oh my god. I thought I'm the only one with fear of pipes... I hate them. I couldn't find anything on the internet in my language so I tried english and... I found this forum... Its so good to hear more stories about similar fears to the one I'm having...