Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Driving 468x60
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

i am new here...

I have an odd fear of plumbing, not all plumbing just some thngs.

i fear the thought of under ground pipes and large water tanks.
    I have no problems with swimming pools, i have fear of the plumbing that filters them.
    I have no problems with rain gutters, i have problems with storm drains.

the thought of the water tank for the toliet can send me into a full panic attack, esply for old tanks.
    don't know where this came from, has effected me for years.

any thoughts??

thanks

Thank god its not only me. Unfortunalty I work in a chemical factory, last week on a night shift We had a problem that required me to look into the top of a water tank that holds an imebce amount of water in the dark and I almost had a panik attack thinking about it so had to make up an excuse so I didnt gave to do it. Ehen reading the posts above talking of resivours and water tanks it makes me feel uneasy. I think my ultimate fear tho would to ve near an old pier leg under the sea. Strang I know but I feel a bit better reading this as I am not alone.

I have a fear of pipes, toilets and drains. I absolutely cannot go to public restrooms without having anxiety about it. The thought of a room full of toilets and pipes freaks me out! I hate dimly lit bathrooms, or bathrooms with a vent fan that comes on. Toilets that have black seats, metallic toilets, toilets with the tanks up high on the wall and toilets that automatically flush really freak me out too! I can't use a shower that I'm unfamiliar with. If I flush or use a shower and I hear water hammering, I will run out of the bathroom or get close to the door and wait until it stops. I have nightmares about being in dimly lit locker rooms with a bunch of toilets everywhere. They are usually flushing or sloshing the water all over the place. Or I'll dream of a toilet overflowing or I open a door and there's just a toilet in a small closet. Yikes! I will wake up in a sweaty panic!! If the lights are out when I open the door to a public restroom, I don't even bother trying to find the light switch. I just walk away. I can hold it really well now! Ha! Pool drains freak me out, water tanks and any kind of pipes that are exposed. Being in a room with exposed pipes freaks me out way more than seeing them out in the open. I thought I was the only person with this phobia. My family thinks I am so crazy, but are supportive. Going on vacations was so hard growing up because I could never use the public restrooms or hotel bathrooms. It was miserable sometimes. What is this about and why the dreams?? I have read on other phobia forums of people explaining the same dreams that I have and the exact same feelings about plumbing. Why do we have this strange phobia? Were we drowned or hurt in a bathroom in a past life? Ha! Did aliens abduct us? (I'm kidding) I want answers!!

Hi all,

I also have this extraordinary disgusting phobia of plumbing, pipes, water tanks and water towers. It's freaking me out and it really ruins my everyday life.

I am glad that I have stumbled upon this forum. I really felt that I was alone when it comes to being afraid of plumbing and pipes. I was searching to see if there was an actual name or condition for a fear of pipes. I am terrified of exposed pipes. If I see them, I will turn and walk away no matter how badly that I may need to use the toilet. At first, I was able to deal minimally, but now it is getting out of control. When I am in the shower and the water pressure changes, it freaks me out so badly that I have to jump out. I cannot stand to hear the water going thru the pipes and I get so terrified of banging pipes. Water heaters and the tanks of the toilet absolutely horrifies me! If I am in a public restroom and someone else in the restroom flushes another toilet, I will look to see if the water in my toilet bowl moves. If it does, I move away quickly! I also cannot stand when an automatic toilet flushes while I am still relieving myself, that bothers me so much that when I notice it is an automatic toilet, I place a piece of toilet tissue over the sensor to make it seem as if I am still there and to trick it into not flushing. I need help!

Me too!..AND...A proposed name for this phobia

Hello, I am a 38 year old man and I too have this phobia about large pipes, large water tanks, water treatment plants, drainage spillways and other pipes and tanks like those at an oil refinery...Yikes!
    I remember being a child and seeing sewage treatment plants and oil refineries through the car window and they absolutely horrified me. I often think about what it would be like to be stuck inside a water tower's tank or in one of the huge pipes or drains, for me it's about the fear of being stuck inside, in the dark with all that loud roaring water (weird, I also LOVE Swimming, the ocean and pools..but NOT really big pools) Being near the drain at the bottom of an Olympic sized pool is also quite terrifying. Usually public restrooms are OK, as are toilets, being the man of the house I have fixed my fair share of toilets...it's the larger pipes and tanks that get me. I did go to a restaurant lately that, inside the mensroom (a single toilet and sink) the entire building's fire main pipe was right above the toilet, a bright red pipe no less than two FEET in diameter with a huge dial showing the PRESSURE of the water inside! AND it was making a noise I cannot describe right now (My ears started ringing just typing that sentence) I tried to use that toilet, thank god I just had to urinate.. I could not fathom turning my back on that monstrocity. I seriously almost passed out in that bathroom, AND I had been drinking..usually that makes this fear subside a bit but THIS situation was just too scary. I made up an excuse to go to my car and urinated outside.

Today was the first time I thought to google this fear and I'm quite relieved to find others who are like me in some way.

,ITF

PART TWO:

For the name of this phobia and it's "family" of fears, I propose the term HYDRAULIPHOBIA. Hydraulia / hydraulics is the general technical term for interconnected systems of pipes (containing liquids). If you google the term "hydraulic", you will find that this word, historically to public water systems.*

I know this isn't 100% correct in its representation of everybody's fears regarding plumbing / pipes / tanks etc, (but many phobia names are just general descriptions)

(I intended to include some google search results here, but this system won't let me post Internet links until I have 10 posts :| )
    Last edited by Beard1975; 10-10-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: I have OCD and keep finding formatting errors.

Hi Guys,
    My family and friends think I'm completely insane because I've had a fear of plumbing for basically my whole life... Reading everyone's posts made my heart rate go up! I almost have a panic attack just explaining my phobia to someone. Geysers (water heating tanks) are my biggest fear, basically any type of plumbing, smallish pools I can handle, if a toilet makes a noise I'm outa there! I can't even look at something and I feel a panic attack coming on.

If I'm in the bath and I think too much about the plumbing I have to get out! Any noises and I freak out... I am going on holiday soon with my parents and the resorts' geysers are in the bathrooms! I'm already panicking about that and its 2 months away! I also had a friend at school who was afraid of plumbing but knew of no one else. I tried googling for years and found nothing until I came across this site! I wish we could find a cure!

Welcome Tracy. I'm glad you found us.
    It was..for ME at least, a huge relief just knowing that I'm NOT the only one..and that I'm not a TOTAL freak of nature.

- Beard

I too have this phobia. I can control it some what now but sometimes it can't be helped. Submarines and engine rooms on ships also completely freak me out! I have a full blown panic attack! Just looking at pictures of large sewer pipes or huge propellers..... I can't stand it! I have a fear of furnaces too... ugh.. I'm a mess So pretty much anything that's in a basement. Glad to see I have something in common with others. My husband thinks I'm so strange!

I wonder if this stems from watching Freddy Kreuger movies as a child...lol!