Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    i am new here...

I have an odd fear of plumbing, not all plumbing just some thngs.

i fear the thought of under ground pipes and large water tanks.
    I have no problems with swimming pools, i have fear of the plumbing that filters them.
    I have no problems with rain gutters, i have problems with storm drains.

the thought of the water tank for the toliet can send me into a full panic attack, esply for old tanks.
    don't know where this came from, has effected me for years.

any thoughts??

thanks

welcome elmo

couple questions. are you afraid there is something that will come out of them? or that you might fall in them? i have never heard of a plumbing phobia, but must admit i have sometimes worried about things coming up drains.

lost
    [b][color=#BF40BF][size=7]love yourself first, others will follow[/size][/color][/b]

Quote Originally Posted by thelostone8206
    are you afraid there is something that will come out of them?* or that you might fall in them?* i have never heard of a plumbing phobia, but must admit i have sometimes worried about things coming up drains.
    bit of each.....

for water tanks its a case of if i fall in then i could get sucked down the drain.
    and for drains it a fear of what is down there and what if it came up....

that and plumbing has a habit of making odd sounds.
    banging pipes are a bit off putting because it reminds me that there is plumbing in the walls...

I feel best when i can just think of a tap as a magic thing that water comes out of, the more i think about how it all works and more i feel un-easy.

and something about old plumbing.....
    the older it is and the less happy i am.

I just joined this forum because I read your post. That is closer to my weird phobia than anything else I have ever found. I fear water towers, large water tanks and dams. I am not afraid of water in general...in fact I love to go swimming. Smaller water containers do not bother me. What is this phobia? It is not bothersome on a daily basis because I can usually avoid water towers and dams but I have never heard of anyone else with these fears. I am also afraid of the big containers in sewage treatment plants (as well as sewers in general) but that may just be because they are disgusting to almost everyone.

I think this is rare.

I think this a rare phobia as I cannot find anything to speak of on the Internet about it. I too have a fear of plumbing, tanks, pooled water in damns. I also have a fear of the bottom of rivers and ponds if it's really dark and I cannot see what's there.

I feel uneasy about putting my finger into sink drains to clear them. I won't put my hand into the water tank of a toilet if the chain falls off the handle. If I drain the water out first I can, but even though I can see through the clear water, it makes me feel frightened.

I used to be afraid of spiders, but then I owned a couple as pets and that isn't so much a fear anymore. I have a fear of heights, though stepping up onto chairs or ladders don't bother me as much anymore. I wonder if the height fear is related to the fear of deep water - and I love pools and I love to swim. It's anything that is muddy or merky. I feel uneasy about underground water, such as digging in the ground to install something and water is under the surface. Puddles, including mud puddles I may ride my bike through on a trail don't bother me at all. It's really weird.

Any identification of this phobia would be appreciated.

It is interesting to read that someone else has experienced this. I can describe a similar uneasy feeling from seeing old pipes, or looking into a tank of water, ESPECIALLY the water tank of a toilet. Looking at a water tower doesnt bother me, but I can imagine a fear for instance if I were to somehow be able to climb up a water tower and look into the water tank from some sort of "hatch"/door on top it and see the water inside. Just as some of you have described, it is not a general fear of water. It seems though a fear of water that is somehow confined to a small space, such as a tank or pipes. Its a fear of opening a lid on some sort of buried tank such as a septic tank, or for me opening the lid on the water softener and looking inside. I can tell you that I have somewhat overcome this fear with the toilet tank, as I've had to fix the flapper or replace the shut off valve several times. But I find it interesting that I still feel a sense of relief when I put the lid back on.

The fear of these tanks is also coupled with a general uneasiness with plumbing. I don't like to hear water running through various appliances such as the dishwasher, clothes washer, or hearing the water softener cycle and not being able to actually see it running. Somehow said maybe it's the noise the water makes -- could be right, as some of these are rather loud and often are set to run at night. As far as plumbing goes, drains are an uneasy thing because the water disappears into some obscure, unknown, black hole that leads to an array of pipes and increasingly complex sewer system. I think it starts from childhood where its a learned sense of how things "disappeared" down the drain and are never seen again -- literally. Maybe that's part of the fear -- that we could "disappear" down the drain. haha. And finally, the worst is that I fear the water BACKING UP from the drain, like when there is a clog. It seems ridiculous and absolutely illogical to know this stuff would bother me, but it really does. Guess that's why they call it a phobia -- an illogical fear of...

Thank god its not only me. Unfortunalty I work in a chemical factory, last week on a night shift We had a problem that required me to look into the top of a water tank that holds an imebce amount of water in the dark and I almost had a panik attack thinking about it so had to make up an excuse so I didnt gave to do it. Ehen reading the posts above talking of resivours and water tanks it makes me feel uneasy. I think my ultimate fear tho would to ve near an old pier leg under the sea. Strang I know but I feel a bit better reading this as I am not alone.

I have a fear of pipes, toilets and drains. I absolutely cannot go to public restrooms without having anxiety about it. The thought of a room full of toilets and pipes freaks me out! I hate dimly lit bathrooms, or bathrooms with a vent fan that comes on. Toilets that have black seats, metallic toilets, toilets with the tanks up high on the wall and toilets that automatically flush really freak me out too! I can't use a shower that I'm unfamiliar with. If I flush or use a shower and I hear water hammering, I will run out of the bathroom or get close to the door and wait until it stops. I have nightmares about being in dimly lit locker rooms with a bunch of toilets everywhere. They are usually flushing or sloshing the water all over the place. Or I'll dream of a toilet overflowing or I open a door and there's just a toilet in a small closet. Yikes! I will wake up in a sweaty panic!! If the lights are out when I open the door to a public restroom, I don't even bother trying to find the light switch. I just walk away. I can hold it really well now! Ha! Pool drains freak me out, water tanks and any kind of pipes that are exposed. Being in a room with exposed pipes freaks me out way more than seeing them out in the open. I thought I was the only person with this phobia. My family thinks I am so crazy, but are supportive. Going on vacations was so hard growing up because I could never use the public restrooms or hotel bathrooms. It was miserable sometimes. What is this about and why the dreams?? I have read on other phobia forums of people explaining the same dreams that I have and the exact same feelings about plumbing. Why do we have this strange phobia? Were we drowned or hurt in a bathroom in a past life? Ha! Did aliens abduct us? (I'm kidding) I want answers!!

Hi all,

I also have this extraordinary disgusting phobia of plumbing, pipes, water tanks and water towers. It's freaking me out and it really ruins my everyday life.

I am glad that I have stumbled upon this forum. I really felt that I was alone when it comes to being afraid of plumbing and pipes. I was searching to see if there was an actual name or condition for a fear of pipes. I am terrified of exposed pipes. If I see them, I will turn and walk away no matter how badly that I may need to use the toilet. At first, I was able to deal minimally, but now it is getting out of control. When I am in the shower and the water pressure changes, it freaks me out so badly that I have to jump out. I cannot stand to hear the water going thru the pipes and I get so terrified of banging pipes. Water heaters and the tanks of the toilet absolutely horrifies me! If I am in a public restroom and someone else in the restroom flushes another toilet, I will look to see if the water in my toilet bowl moves. If it does, I move away quickly! I also cannot stand when an automatic toilet flushes while I am still relieving myself, that bothers me so much that when I notice it is an automatic toilet, I place a piece of toilet tissue over the sensor to make it seem as if I am still there and to trick it into not flushing. I need help!