Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Panic

Hi

I'm panicking I've just read in the daily mirror that a violent stomach bug (Norovirus) is spreading across England & all the hospitals are full up & are turning ppl away.
    ffs I'm TERRIFIED of vomiting what if I catch it???? I'm not going out anymore, I'm going to stay in all winter, I'm not going to eat that way I wont catch anything.
    I haven vomited for almost 20 years but ffs the thought terrifies me!! what am I going to do???
    Any other emetophobes out there heard about this stomach bug??.

I really CAN NOT cope with vomiting I'd rather die.

thanks for listening

Judith
    xx

I understand completely. Was possibly exposed to the virus today. A colleague has had it. Absolutely terrified and going to stock up on anti-emetics and anti-diarrhoeals and rehydration sachets, just in case...
    SLC in chat.

Oh no I hope u stay safe & dont catch anything! I dont usually I havent been sick for almost 20 years!.
    I dont work or have kds/parnter etc. I'm lucky with living alone in respect that Im less likely to catch anything.

good luck! I dont think you'll catch anything! emetophobes have a good resistance to stomach viruses.

I really hope you're right! It's been nearly 12 years for me. Living with my boyfriend is hard in the respect that I'm terrified of him getting anything, but I'm also really scared of being alone when I'm really anxious. I would HATE to be sick on my own, but then I'd HATE to be sick when he's here so there's no winning really!

I hate winter and the associated bugs SO MUCH,
    SLC in chat.

I never got that bug from my colleague. Touch wood that no-one else near me will get it, and roll on summer!
    SLC in chat.

Hi Sarah

oh good i'm glad u didnt catch the bug!!! Yea roll on summer i love the summer.
    I hope u had a good xmas & happy new year

love
    Judith
    xxx

Hey, I suffer very badly from emetophobia also. I just found out a virus is going around here (new york) and im having a heart attack, washing hands constantly, lysoling everything, and im terrified. I hate having this phobia, i just wish it would go away already...
    <--EmetGirl a.k.a RainyDay
    Quote Originally Posted by onmyown
    Hi

I'm panicking I've just read in the daily mirror that a violent stomach bug (Norovirus) is spreading across England & all the hospitals are full up & are turning ppl away.
    ffs I'm TERRIFIED of vomiting what if I catch it???? I'm not going out anymore, I'm going to stay in all winter, I'm not going to eat that way I wont catch anything.
    I haven vomited for almost 20 years but ffs the thought terrifies me!! what am I going to do???
    Any other emetophobes out there heard about this stomach bug??.

I really CAN NOT cope with vomiting I'd rather die.

thanks for listening

Judith
    xx

Hi emetgirl

welcome to the forum. I've had this phobia for over 35 years. i'm 42.

I think i might have caught some sort of bug as i was really ill all thursday (thought i was dying) sickness was terrible severe panic attack while being ill only just got out of bed today. hope no-one else catches it,its awful!

I understand how all emets feel - it is absolutely terrifying. I've gone out of my way to educate myself through very reputable sources like the CDC and my husband who is a microbiologist, so I know exactly what I'm so deathly afraid of. It doesn't help my fear, but at least I feel like I can have a tiny bit of control over my own health. Unfortunately though, I'm so phobic, I can't even say some of the words related to this, so I will just use the letter V if that's OK with you. (Even just typing the letter makes my heart pound and my hands shake with fear).

Here's what I hang on to for hope and help - maybe it will help you too:

1) Wash your hands as often as possible. Definately after using washrooms - and especially before eating!!!!! I can't stress enough - WASH YOUR HANDS!!! Has to be with warm water and soap and for 15 seconds. This is truly effective in preventing the spread of this hideous virus.

2) IT IS NOT AIRBORNE!!!! So those of you that hold your breath as much as possible when you leave your home, relax. You CAN breath. The only time this virus is airborne is if you are close to someone that has an ill episode (close like 3 feet). Other than that, trust me - you can breath.

3) It is spread through infected bowel movements and V and HAS to be ingested!!! If you don't get what I'm saying, I mean you actually have to swallow the virus and it is true that it doesn't take much. This is why washing your hands is so important. Of course, people that don't wash their hands, or don't wash them very well, walk around in life with microscopic bits of poo on their hands (or if ill, V) - then they touch things, which you may touch, then you touch your mouth, or touch your food, and there you go, you have ingested it. So again, WASH YOUR HANDS - and try as hard as you can not to touch your mouth (or eyes and nose - just in case) unless your hands are VERY clean. If you have to wash your hands in a public area, after washing with soap and water, use a paper towel to turn the tap off, and again to open the door to leave. Use your foot to flush toilets and don't wear your shoes around in your home.

4) Don't eat out in restaurants at peak virus time (Nov to Feb/March) as a lot of food prep workers/servers/cooks don't wash their hands as well as they should.

5) Keep your washrooms/bathrooms and kitchens as clean as you possibly can (daily). All fawcets/taps, knobs, flushers, toilets, sinks. Even remote controls and light switches should be kept clean. The only thing that breaks this virus down completely is bleach. Below is the proper dilution of bleach - full strength doesn't work as well as dilution. Bleach solution is 100% effective in disinfection (but do NOT use on skin - warm water and soap for 15 seconds for skin - repeat if it makes you feel better). Wash hands well after using bleach solution to keep from damaging your skin. Heat also works to break down this virus, such as in steam cleaning and cooking. For hands, alcohol hand sanitizers are about 46% effective so only use when out and about as a substitute, don't touch your face/mouth, and wash hands as soon as possible. I'm sorry, but Lysol is not effective at all on this type of virus. Bleach solution is the best.

6) If you are nervous about the water in your area (those that use wells etc...) - boil it for 3 minutes before making tea or coffee or for drinking water. But I am pretty secure that tap water from a treatment facility is very very clean.

BLEACH SOLUTION:
    1 tablespoon bleach to every 3 cups of water for general cleaning and keeping things VERY clean. If you want to punch it up to 2 tblspns water for every 3 cups, go ahead if it makes you feel better. Mix into a spritzy bottle and there you go - spritz and wipe your way to feeling a little more secure. Best to leave solution on areas for ten minutes before wiping clean - this sanitizes the best.

For toilets:
    Spitz the inside with above solution - leave 10 minutes. Then pour a little more than one cup into the water and leave that for an additional 10 minutes. I do this once a day - keeps the bathroom smelling nice and clean too.

For absolute disinfection if cleaning up areas where illness occured (but don't worry too much, this is what they use in hospitals etc., where cleaning up is more likely to occur):
    2 tablespoons bleach to every 1 cup of water. Again, the ten minute rule.

Now I just want to list a little bit of rational thinking. I know it doesn't take the phobia away, but sometimes it helps me to keep running these facts through my mind:

1) The media DOES enjoy sensationalizing things and scaring us. Yes it's going around, but it does every year - it's normal. Yes it's a bit more this year, but every several years levels rise like this of different virus' - it's normal. Try not to watch the news so obsessively. Just be careful and you'll be OK.
    2) It's NOT airborne. It's OK to breath.
    3) As long as you keep your hands SUPER clean, your chances of getting it are quite minimal.
    4) Normally, the US has 23 million cases of this a year. That is about 7% of the US population of 300 million. This is normal. This is every year. What the UK just experienced was and is about the same - 5 to 7% of their 60 million population. These statistics really aren't that abnormal. For the UK it's elevated this year, but try to relax ... it's not 95% of the population - it's just 5%. Keep in your mind that 95% of the population will NOT get it.
    5) Look out your window - if it was such a horrendous, life threatening problem, would everyday life be going on like it is? Traffic? People walking their dogs? People laughing and living? Of course not. Those unfortunate enough to be ill only make up a miniscule percentage of the population at any given time. Just be very aware of your cleanliness, what you put in your mouth, what you eat, where you eat, and you should be OK.

I hope this had helped some of you. This is a terrible phobia to be trapped by - believe me, I'm one too. I have OCD with the hand washing and the cleaning and I have even taken it to counting problems (long story). This is just the way we are. This is our life and we have to live it no matter how scary it is for us at times. We'll make it through this time. We always do. No matter what...we'll be OK and we'll make it through this.

I wish you all the very best. Stay clean. Stay healthy. Stay positive. And here's to a very welcome Springtime coming.

Renkma