Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Panic 468x60
    I know stores make me crazy I dread them and when I go in them I get out as quick as posible. I was just wondering how many other ppl get totall freaked out in stores and cant wait till they can get out?

I get freaked out a little cause im scared of having a panic attack in front of strangers.

Welcome to this lovely forum

Jenx

I am aware that this post is old, but I thought I would add my experience, in case anyone out there is currently in the similar situation. I haven't always been this way, in fact, I am pretty sure its effecting me the way it is because I remember how it felt to be happy and content with life. Social anxiety means I find being around people, whether it be in a shop with people, a supermarket, a bus or in a lecture at university, incredibly difficult. Ironically I used to have strengths in performing, in particular singing and I was able to perform in front of many people, without feeling phased by it, I also had friends.

I think for me the turning point was gradual, I didnt suddenly have an event occur in my life that made me this way, I think a number of factors were involved and have made me change a lot as a person over the period of about two years.

When I left school I was over the moon, I went to college, but it was a new place with new people, and I felt quite out of my depth, I made friends at college, but I was more reserved with people. I fell in love when I was fourteen, and was in a long distance relationship, which meant I was more worried about seeing him than I was seeing friends. I also became more insecure, I put on weight and started hating my appearance more which meant I would avoid being seen by people as much as possible.

I also got a job at college, in a shop, and was bullied by my boss. He would refer to me as a bimbo and tell me I wasn't worth employing as I was slow, and 'dippy' as he called me. I wasn't any of these things when I look back. That knocked my confidence a lot though, being told I wasn't good enough, and being made to feel I was a joke.

I don't know whether I will ever be the person I once was again, as I have developed a number of habits since becomming this way, habits which allow me to function in accordance with social anxiety. I avoid social surroundings, go out when its getting dark or raining so that I can hide under an umberella, wear clothes that make be look as insignificant and even boring to avoid people looking at me, and I avoid making friends, as I cannot be myself with people.

Being at university means I am in a situation whereby I have to interact with others on some level, even if only through working with them in a group I have been put in, which means I have also developed quite avoidant behavior, making sure I do whatever I can to avoid social interaction, even if it means walking from one toilet to the next in my lunch break so that I am out of the way of people, but still there, so that I am in for my next class.

Social anxiety has been quite soul destroying for me. In my case it blocks me from being the person I want to be, and puts barriers up in front of opportunities that come my way.

I am feeling lost at the moment with this, I am growing increasingly lonely, having no friends upsets me a lot. The thing that upsets me more is that people assume I am this way because I am rude, or want to be alone, when in fact I am crying out to be accepted inside, but this disorder means the only person that hears my crys is me.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not

Hi Peroxidepixie glad to meet you. I too suffer these exact things. In fact at work we are having a division meeting/luncheon wich means there will be a lot of people I dont know. I am avoiding this by making a doctors appointment so I will not have to be there. Also you hit it dead on when u say that the turning point to being like this was gradual. Mine started at a young age. I got a little better but some how i gradually got to this really dark sad place. I know exactly what u mean by people thinking that u are rude. People always see me as either stuck on myself, rude, mad or they think I am just weird.
    I hear your cry peroxidepixie and inside I cry right along with you. You are not alone!
    Take care, Anxiouspixi

Quote Originally Posted by anxiouspixi
    Hi Peroxidepixie glad to meet you. I too suffer these exact things. In fact at work we are having a division meeting/luncheon wich means there will be a lot of people I dont know. I am avoiding this by making a doctors appointment so I will not have to be there. Also you hit it dead on when u say that the turning point to being like this was gradual. Mine started at a young age. I got a little better but some how i gradually got to this really dark sad place. I know exactly what u mean by people thinking that u are rude. People always see me as either stuck on myself, rude, mad or they think I am just weird.
    I hear your cry peroxidepixie and inside I cry right along with you. You are not alone!
    Take care, Anxiouspixi
    Hey anxiouspixi. Its good to know im not alone, the worst thing about social anxiety is that it does leave you feeling incredibly alone, and very iscolated from things, and worst of all, on reflection it feels like you are to blame because its you that puts barriers in the way and stops yourself from doing things (when i say you, im talking in a general sense )
    I would perhaps be more accepting of this if I had always been this way, or if I had something to blame it on, but I haven't always been this way and no defining moment made me this way, which means trying to explain why I have changed is hard.
    I hope you are finding this easier to cope with than I am, its something in time I hope we can both overcome. I hope to speak to you soon, Hannah xxx
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not

Hey peroxidepixie,
    I can't put i specific time on my disorder either. I do have an appt. with a shrink this month. I am so nervous, but I am also ready to just be done with feeling like this all the time.
    It happens at work, while driving, in the stores. Now im avoiding situations and it's only going to get worse. Actually it's gotten worse sense I started working. I thought it would have helped me, but I have had a few social anxiety attacks sense working and there were people that saw this. Well you can imagine how that would feel im sure. It's embarrassing! Then shame and depression overwhelms me.
    I too hope that we both overcome this.
    Take care!

using meditation / relaxation techniques helped me out a lot for calming me down in store... progressive muscle relaxation as well. Otherwise, benzos work well if that doesn't.