Welcome to the Phobics Awareness Forums.
Panic 468x60
    Ever since I was young I've had this fear of things that aren't proportional. Not only a fear... I get physically ill and actually have to sit down and calm myself. I remember having nightmares in the past of my hands growing until I couldn't lift them anymore... It's one of those things that I've tried to just ignore but if anything, it seems to be getting a lot worse. My main questions are... is there anyone else who finds themselves with the same problem? Also, could it be, not really unproportional things, but a fear of something larger that just includes this. Thanks guys.

Dear SDMaster

to the forum! I hope you like it here.

I too get disproportionate fears due to anxiety and depression. It's known as catastrophising and is symptomatic of either depression or anxiety or a mixture of both. I've learnt over the years to catch myself doing it and when I do recognise that I'm doing this, I just acknowledge that I'm doing it and ask myself questions like 'can this be true? could this actually happen?'. Usually the answer is no and I can dismiss the thoughts as irrational and just get on with whatever I'm doing.

If these irrational thoughts are causing you distress, I'd suggest you go and see your doctor about them. Your doctor might refer you to a psychologist. This is what I did and the psychologist helped me a great deal.

Wishing you all the best
    Petal
    <span style='color:purple'>[i]A kitty curled up on your bed with you makes you complete.[/i]</span>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for the welcome Petal

Thanks so much for the info as well! It will help so much just to know that their's actually a name for this I've been to my doctor, just a couple of weeks ago actually for insomnia/anxiety/depression and she told me to go see her again if I decide it'd be a good idea to go to a psychologist so I may just do that now

It probably really didnt help my cause that I had parents who completely refused to accept that I could need any sort of help for the first 18 years of my life with my "little problems" but at least I can start seeking advise and help now

Thanks again! You've already made me feel welcome to these forums

DEAR SDMASTER
    FIRST OFF A HUGE WELCOME IN FINDING THIS GREAT FORUM ,SORRY TO HEAR YOUR GOING THROUGH SUCH A BAD TIME ,I CAN ONLY AGREE WITH EVERYTHING PETAL HAS SAID
    I SUFFER FROM AGORAPHOBIA,ANXIETY AND PANIC AND CAN ONLY ADD I SUFFER FROM LOADS O FEELINGS OF COMPLETE UNREALITY ,SPACEYNESS TO POINT OF MAKING MYSELF PHYSICALLY ILL ,ON HERE YOU WILL SOON FIND OUT YOUR NOT ALONE WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST AND MAYBE HOPE TO MEET YOU IN CHAT ONE NIGHT
    LOVE DINO
    XXXXXXX

Hi there!

Wow I'm so relieved that someone else feels the same! I don't know what it was and it didn't seem like it was a phobia so I was quite confused...
    Often, when i look at say unproportionally big things, or things that are nightmarishly tiny compared to their surroundings, i get really freaked out and it stimulates my anxiety attacks.
    I used to have nightmares where everything was against a clean white background and there were enourmous blue balls (similar to the snooker kind) falling from 'up'. To me in the dream they were huge, so huge I felt hey could consume me. Also, a man with a blank expression that just keeps getting fatter. Not just fatter, but it's like he's being inflated, on and on and on... I thought I was just making a big deal about nothing so truly, thanks for contributing to this thread!