PDA

View Full Version : Xanax

star20
11-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Hi and this is my story....

I have been on Xanax (well the generic brand) for about 2 months now starting at .25mg. Now I am up to 1.5mg and I've noticed that the effects have been getting weaker and weaker. So in that case, my doc would have to keep increasing the dose. I've been taking the 1.5 now at night to help me sleep, but now it works only half the time. And I'm afraid of going higher and higher to where its too much. I've considered trying a stronger tranquilizer to help mostly at night. Even if I've taken my dose for the night, my anxiety still remains, but I haven't the energy to act on my compulsions (I have OCD, btw) or get mad because I become a monster if my brother pokes fun at me, so its the waiting for it to take effect.

Plus, with my Xanax, it takes at least 20 minutes for it to take effect, so if I have a major anxeity attack, I can't get the 'instant' relief. So anyway my question is, does anyone know how to go about this, I mean if I do want to switch to something else (Thorazine, possibly, at the smallest dose) for example, so for the major reason, I would take it at bedtime and I could fall asleep instantly. Because I'm at the point where I keep wanting to increase the Xanax myself and I'm scared I'm becoming addicted because the effects aren't strong enough anymore, no matter the doseage now. Please help me about what I should do.

Gord
11-14-2006, 02:44 AM
<span style='color:red'>Hi, Kristen</span>

<span style='color:blue'>So good to see you again! Sorry you're having problems with your new meds - about a month you've been on them, yes?

Amongst my various symptoms, OCD is a fairly minor thing, compared with the agoraphobia and the depression, but I can still relate. I'd like to wait a bit and see what the more experienced OCD Phobies have to say to you here before I comment more.

But I can tell you that here in the UK the approach to this sort of thing is different: you'd be more likely to be offered a combination of SSRI anti-depressants and, hopefully, a course in therapy, usually cognitive behavioural therapy. Pschotherapy is not usually used for this, I believe, but the help you should be getting in learning to "deal" with the OCD is more likely to come from CBT, or one of its variations. Has your doctor suggested this, or is he just fobbing you off with pills?

All I can say about Xanax, from what I've heard, is that it's not really an option for long-term use and, if its only effect is to make you too tired and lethargic to "exercise" your OCD, then it's not really doing very much to tackle the underlying causes and triggers for your illness.

I'm sure you'll get more useful and practical advice from the others here, but in the meantime it's good to see you here again and I hope to bump into you again soon in Chat.

Take care, girl.

Love</span>

<span style='color:red'>Gord</span>
<span style='color:green'>xxxxx</span>

petal
11-14-2006, 02:55 AM
Hi Star20

I have Xanax on hand for when I need it but haven't needed to take it much for a couple of months now. From my own experience I would have thought that 1.5mg would have put you to sleep but it depends on your body size and how sensitive you are to the drug.

I take either .5 or 1mg depending on how I'm feeling. 1mg tends to knock me around a bit and I can't do anything much so I usually start with 0.5mg and see how I go. When I was taking it, I found it the most effective drug to put me to sleep at night. It worked far better than temazapam or diazapam.

I know it's an addictive drug but it does work very well for anxiety and at the doses you're taking (up to 1.5mg a day) I wouldn't think that addiction would be a problem, especially as you've only been taking it for a couple of months.

I'd have a chat with your doctor/psychiatrist about not being able to get to sleep on 1.5mg.

This might be stupid of me to say this but are you making sure you're doing 'wind down' things before bedtime eg no caffeinated drinks after lunchtime, going to bed at the same time each night and getting up at the same time in the morning, no watching tv in bed at night before falling asleep, no eating dinner late and then trying to crash, no reading stimulating things like the newspaper before bed, no falling asleep on the lounge while watching tv? Have you tried sprinkling about 5 drops of lavender essential oil on your pillowcase before bed and listening to a relaxation tape like yoga nidra in bed in combination with taking your 1.5mg of Xanax?

God, I sound like I'm preaching but I've put all these rules in place because my sleep used to be awfully bad because of my anxiety and the things I did or didn't do before bedtime listed above really did help me to achieve a healthy sleeping pattern.

As for trying to get quicker effects when taking Xanax, a friend of mine who takes Xanax for panic attacks swears that if he takes his Xanax and then swallows a teaspoon of honey just after taking it (NOT with water), that it does work faster. He tried to explain to me why it does work faster ... it's something to do with the fructose I think being absorbed through the stomach's lining ... not too sure but he gets BAD panic attacks and swears that the honey quickens the effect of the Xanax.

Sorry for my rave. Chat with your doctor about your dilemma I reckon.

Wishing you all the best :)
Petal http://bestsmileys.com/cats2/17.gif

JRM
11-15-2006, 12:56 AM
I am not an expert on xanax but I have read up to 4mg's a day is common for bad anxiety suffers

11-15-2006, 04:54 AM
Hi Star :)

I have been take xanxa years.

they are 0.5, I started at take 3 tablets a day, still had problams sleeping.
today I take 3mg's of xanax and still have problams sleeping.
as to say i don't know about honny with mine, in the midst of a bad panic
attacki chew mine and seems to work fast the, warning tho it tastes really
yucky, but does work faster all the best to you hope this helped some bit

cheer

dewey
11-16-2006, 11:20 PM
I tried xanax. not a bad drug at all. i prefer klonopin, but we are all different.

Nikolas
07-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Hi Star :)

I have been take xanxa years.

they are 0.5, I started at take 3 tablets a day, still had problams sleeping.
today I take 3mg's of xanax and still have problams sleeping.
as to say i don't know about honny with mine, in the midst of a bad panic
attacki chew mine and seems to work fast the, warning tho it tastes really
yucky, but does work faster all the best to you hope this helped some bit

cheer
is chewing them considered abusing ? im on .5 mg right now and there barely getting me threw the day i started on 3x .25s a day now they upd me too 3x .5s a day im 300 lbs and 6 foot 6 so im not like a fat ass but im built into my wieght by no means small, but if i was 5'8 id be super fat lol........ my sleeping pattern is so fucked up i stay up all night sleep during day i need to find out how to get oout of this funk

Gray Matter
07-18-2011, 07:01 AM
I'd say its time for a Med change. I have to change all Meds every 2 years due to a tolerance I build up. P.S. I take 4 mg a day Of Xanax a day. and it is just enough to take the edge off the day, Then the clonapan holds for the day and I take 450mg of Welbrutan xL and a newone vilazodone " Just started it a few days ago."