PDA

View Full Version : I have agoraphobia, depression and PTSD

sorrel
09-17-2006, 08:15 AM
what do you do when people laugh at you or look at you like you've got 2 heads, when you ask them to move back when they stand too close to you in a queue and you're in the supermarket and feel yourself starting to hyper-ventilate and are scared of losing control and lashing out at them because you're so scared and frustrated, and you tell them you get panic attacks and they say 'I can tell' and laugh at you, and you endured 10 years of being bullied at school, and ...

what would YOU do?

:unsure:

DP
09-19-2006, 05:55 AM
Hi sorrel ,has this actually happened to you? i remember i used to be like that in supermarkets and i hated it i stopped going due to my panic attacks.

sorrel
09-19-2006, 03:27 PM
thanks for replying, DP.

yes, it has actually happened. on more than one occassion. :(

I've asked my befriender (from Mind) if she will come shopping with me sometimes...and she has agreed....I'll see how things go then....

petal
09-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Dear Sorrel

Supermarkets can be scary and alienating places to experience :blink: . I find them difficult myself. I find that I cope with supermarkets better if I go and shop when it's not that busy ... it's always a much better experience that way.

Sorry to hear that you've encountered very rude people in supermarkets. Just remember that it is their ignorance talking and their unpleasant nature will come back on them in the end. It's called karma!

Keep up going to the supermarket but just try to go when it's quieter. Be kind to yourself! :)

Wishing you all the best
Petal http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/tiere/animal-smiley-085.gif

DP
09-20-2006, 04:50 AM
i would suggest like petal to go when its quiet until you feel able to go when it is busier. People can be very rude if they dont understand. I have booked an appointment for my hair cut and the girl whos coming asked my mum if i talked and am i alright!!! LOL i have agoraphobia ,im not dumb or crazy,cant wait to meet her :) this is a big challenge for me as it is as i haven't had my hair cut proper for years i always do it myself.

sorrel
09-20-2006, 09:54 AM
thanks both of you....

DP, same for me with the hair...I always do my own..good for you for going and getting your's done. :)

I told my managers at work that my illness doesn't affect my ability to work or my intelligence.....and that has been good, as since then they've trusted me more with more challenging tasks...(and I trust myself....) it just comes out wrong with strangers as I get angry and defensive...as if space wasn't a natural human need...

dino
09-20-2006, 11:27 AM
DEAR DP
KNOW JUST HOW YE FEEL MA MOP WAS STARTING TO LOOK LIKE I'D BEEN DRAGGED THROUGH A BUSH BACKWARDS .WELL TODAY AFTER MONTHS O PITTING IT OFF MA MOBILE HAIRDRESSER CAME TO GI ME A TRIM
I WAS IN SUCH A STATE BEFORE SHE CAME YE WID THINK I WIS ABOUT TO HAVE OPEN HEART SURGERY NUTS OR WHAT LOL
NOW NEXT STEP IS TO DYE MA GREY BITTIES,COS AT THE MOMENT NOW DINNA LAUGH I'M COLOURING THEM IN WI BLACK MASCARA AS LAST TIME I PUT THE DYE ON AFTER ONLY 10MINS I WAS HAVING MASSIVE PANIC

IM THE ONE WHO ONCE UPON A TIME WOULD MANAGE TO GO TO A HAIRDRESSERS AND SIT FOR OVER 2HOURS COMING OOT BLONDE
NOW I'M HERE LIKE CHER FFS OR AS MA NEIGHBOUR SAID MORE LIKE SONNY PMSLhttp://bestsmileys.com/music1/19.gif

LET US KNOW HOW YOUR HA***UT GOES DP GOOD LUCK
LOVE DIANE (dino)
http://bestsmileys.com/barber/1.gif

DP
09-22-2006, 02:44 AM
LOL dino, i am like that sometimes having panic attcks putting hair dye on. I have to wash it off too soon and i end up rather gingery instead of blond lol. I did go dark once but once i saw it i had a massive panic attack and had to send boyfriend to supermarket to get blond dye there and then. im getting really nervous about my hair what if she messes it up what am i going to do!!! lol

angie
09-22-2006, 05:10 AM
NOW I'M HERE LIKE CHER FFS OR AS MA NEIGHBOUR SAID MORE LIKE SONNY PMSL

LOL DINO...YOU'VE NOT SHAVED YA TASH OFF THOUGH HAVE YA?!!!!!

sorrel
09-22-2006, 12:07 PM
well, I coloured my hair today. it sure needed it.

and, I'm waiting until Sunday when I see my befriender to do my weekly shop...see how that goes... I'll let you know...

Jess
10-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Supermarkets are the worst. Wal Mart in particular - people will actually run into you with their carts when they're stuck in line. Everyone just shoves eachother around. Sometimes I end up putting everything down and running out without buying anything after an hour of looking for stuff. Then go home and tell my partner that I got scared - which usually makes him irritated at me.