PDA

View Full Version : just had a panic attack over blocked nose phobia.

DEBBIE2011
03-22-2011, 08:12 PM
I know this may sound rather silly, but eversince i had a bad dose of flu in 2007, which resulted in a
blocked nose for nearly 5wks and endless sleepless nights, ive had a phobia.
I started with severe panic attacks in december 2010, which had increased throughout jan when i visited
my doctor whos put me on antidepressants and betablockers whilst im on the waiting list for therapy
to help me with this matter.
but ive just got a common cold which has resulted in a blocked nose and loss of taste/smell, and whilst
watching tv this evening, i had the most horendous panicy feelings, regarding this, it no doubt memories
of that flu, this occured in january when i had a cold, my panic attacks where that intense with this
phobia, i had the emmergancy doctor. Can someone help or advise me how to relax whilst ive got this
blocked nose and its phobic connections, i feel so scared, ive tried may distraction techniquies, but to no
avail, right now im totally alone in my feelings and fears. much appreciated any welcome advise debbie.

atw1014
03-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi, Just wanted to let you know that you are NOT ALONE!! I have just come down with a pretty rotten cold and am suffering from a "Blocked Nose"!! Talk about sending my Panic issues into OVERDRIVE!!! I had thought That I had overcome most of my problems when wham o, one little cold sends me straight back to the beginning!!! I get that funny,(Not so funny) tingly, short of breath feeling in my chest, a feeling of being sort of disconnected from my body, etc its rotten!!! I find that if I get up and do something, almost anything, that it will sometimes help take the worst of it away. I try to function through them that's why I joined this group today!! Its my hope to function through and try not to take the Ativan for it.
Hope this helps
A

Solrac
04-15-2012, 06:18 AM
I am in the same boat as Debbie 2011, just joined because I saw your coments. I am trying to find a solution.

It would be interesting to see what kind of therapy.

It took me a while to figure out this site and I have to go but I do want to chat with Debbie2011 some moer. We have too much in comon with this phobia.

Smalltown
04-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Hi. I too suffer from panic attacks over the silliest things. Almost any sort of symptoms can trigger one. My blood pressure goes up an takes me a few hours to recover even with Xanax.i also take 100mg of zoloft. I was on Paxil but gained so much weight. Even though it worked better. I though maybe talking to some fellow suffers might help . Even though I've suffered from panic for almost 20 yrs. audra

toshtao
04-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Just do as your doctor says and take the medication. Everyone gets sick sometimes, that is a fact of life. You must put up with it for the time being. Just try to stay calm and do relaxing activities. It will go away eventually, just like the common cold.

velaineg
05-22-2012, 11:53 PM
OMG, I am so amazed after reading so many of you have the same exact stuff going on that I do....my nose feels stuffy and I freak out or my neck gets really stiff or sore and I get an immediate panic attack....I try to talk myself out of it...take a bite of a clonozepam from my neurologist but now finding this site and just knowing that others feel this way helps me too...I want them to go away and I was on zoloft for like 4 years and got off of it 1 1/2 ago and have felt fine but with this spring season and sinus stuff they have started again...