PDA

View Full Version : starting citalopram and SCARED!!!

lisa-g
11-17-2009, 03:59 AM
ok im terrified, ive been putting off taking meds for 10 month,but after finding this site and the support from some close friends ive decided im gonna do it!!! so today i will start taking citalopram! hopefully i wont have any side effects as im med phobic and will go into major panic LOL watch this space and i will keep you updated on any progress!! :)

Confounded
11-17-2009, 02:55 PM
lisa-g, I just started 8 days ago. I've been on 1 medication from every type in the past and reacted badly to them all. I've had some minor side effects with this one, but nothing too bad and nothing that's making me think I need to go off them. The worst has simply been a dry mouth/being thirsty and it's worn off now anyway. I'm feeling pretty positive about this one though. Good luck!

lisa-g
11-18-2009, 05:48 AM
ok , the hard part is over!!!!! i took the first flaming pill!!!! 9 mins ago( yes im counting) it was the hardest thing ive done for a long time!!BUT i feel really pleased with myself lol im really scared but hopefully this is what is gonna help me get better so a massive thanks to the people who supported me in taking it and getting started!!!

Confounded keep me updated on your progress lol

lisa
xxx

justmum
11-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Lisa, I am on this medication also, I have been for around 3 and a half months now. Side effects are different for everyone but for me I saw an increase in my anxiety, I so wanted to throw the towel in, but didn't. Initially it was when I first started taking them, then again an escalation in my anxiety when the doc increased my dosage. It was unpleasant but I stuck it out and persevered and...... it must be doing some good as I am returning to my job part time next week....!!! :D :D :D . I never thought I would get there, i felt so so bad/ill/sick/dizzy/depressed/i ached/hurt/panicked so so many other things.
I wish you the very best of luck Lisa

Love Karen x

Confounded
11-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Lisa I'm so super proud of you :D Yay!!!

Confounded
11-18-2009, 02:42 PM
justmum, thank you for sharing your story. When I hear of others success it makes me hope that maybe I can beat this too!

thumper
11-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Lisa

Well done looks like we have lots to be proud of today saw another post with gud news too. Like you i have med phobia so i know how hard this is
i have tried many times but failed so well done again. You have done the hard part and taken it congrats.

Thumper xx

nettycorbett
11-18-2009, 07:56 PM
well done lisa :D xx

lisa-g
11-18-2009, 08:07 PM
thank you all for your replies, im still ok lol infact im just sleepy and thirsty which i can deal with!! only been a day but now i have took one i feel more positive! hopefully tomorrow wont be as hard but , if it is i know i have support here , thanks guys :)

lisa-g
11-19-2009, 03:50 PM
hi again!! well day 2 lol im a little shaky and cant sleep very well but nothing too major! im having anxious thoughts but not panicking as much so with a bit of luck theses are gonna work!!!

lisa xxx

Confounded
11-21-2009, 03:14 AM
Yay lisa! That's awesome. I hit day 11 today. I'm so parched. My whole body feels like a desert and I can't drink enough fluid for it not to be deydrating me. Otherwise, not really any side effects at all other than a little sleeplessness but as you know I managed 6 hours last night all up :D

lisa-g
11-22-2009, 07:25 AM
first off , well done Confounded!! 6 hours YEY!! day 5 here and i think the shakiness is wearing off!! WOOT i have had to start taking them at night tho as the were making me too sleepy through the day, this appears to be better for me , so hopefully i can stick at it. AND im starting to sleep a litle better why oh why didnt i do this earlier LOL :)

Confounded
11-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Woo Hoo for sleep!!! And yay for the shakes wearing off!!! Other than some insomnia and being a little dehydrated I'm not really noticing any other side effects now :D And I actually slept for 8 hours last night!!! I did get up to go to the loo, but I didn't lay awake and toss and turn for hours like I have done for the last couple of weeks :D I too can't believe I put it off fof so long!

lisa-g
12-01-2009, 05:52 PM
well then , i made it to the 2 week mark!!! i have finished my first pack WOO!! side effects have worn off :D im just waiting for them to work now!! i have to take 10mg for another 2 weeks then going up to 20 mg!!! i will report back soon lmao :D :D :D

Confounded
12-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Woo! Our packs must be bigger, I still have 5 tablets in mine! Yay for no side effects! I too am pretty much side effect free except for the whole dopey all day awake all night thing :shock:

Good luck with the 20mgs! I hope it settles in well :) (lol, I so don't know how to phrase that sentence).

Still waiting for mine to kick in and work too though :(

chrissynz
12-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Hello, congrats on taking the med! I am also on Citalopram and was worried because I had a previous bad experience on an anti-depressant. I had trouble with tiredness and shakes something cronic for the first few weeks. I'm at about month 4 now, and I still have my bad days, but as a rule this is the best I have felt in a long time. I can go out in the car without gripping on for dear life when my partner drives (with the meds I notice hes not actually the lunatic driver I had thought prior to meds). Im finding my nights are getting a little easier - strange noises still set my heart going something wicked, but my mind seems to wind down a little - actually allowing me to get to sleep. This seems to be working well for me - heaven help anyone who tries to tell me to come off it! I hope the medication works for you. And again congrats on taking the meds!

Confounded
12-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Chrissy, that's awesome! Yay for you!!

I seem to be settling into mine pretty well now. I do get some sleep at night, although not always restful and I'm still waking up far too early, but I usually get to sleep okay which makes a nice change.

I've been a few places lately I wouldn't normally be able to go, the city to the mall for 2 hours, 2 events at my kids school and twice out to Harvey Norman and that about 20 minutes away. Other than the school events there hasn't even been any anxiety let alone panic and generally day to day I'm feeling less anxious.

My depression has definitely lifted. I wouldn't say I'm happy, I'm just sort of neutral, but that's better than where I was when I started them by a long shot! :D

How's you doing Lisa? You upped your dose by now, right?

lisa-g
01-04-2010, 10:33 AM
ok then soooooo, ive been on citalopram almost 7 weeks now (never thought i would hear myself say that) :D i upped my dose to 20mg ten days ago and went through the sleepy side effects all over again LOL im still very anxious but havnt had a full blown panic attack for 3 weeks now WOOT so hopefully these are going to work :D :D :D

Kunoichi
01-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Well Done xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx

anxietysucks
01-22-2011, 09:22 AM
Wow i feel so good that i am not alone here I have been thinking i was the only one who feared taking pills. hey celexa at first for me was just how u said i was a little hyper for a bit but after a month i was feeling great! i loved it but eventually developed an allergy to it.